should i buy this climbing kit or piece together?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellonhs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here is a climbing kit I'm interested in buying. What would you guys recommend? I was going to get this combo climb kit. The premium.
Custom Spur and Rope Tree Climbing Kits

So then I started to see what the diff is in that and this. Premium rope kit.
Tree Climbing Kits: Save Big on Arborist Supplies at WesSpur

And I gathered the only diff in the combo kit and the premium rope kit is just the spurs... Am I right? And that would mean the spurs are the extra $400 in the price... So I started to price diff spurs and I can get a decent aluminum pair for $200...

So is a kit the wrong way to go?
If not should I just get the premium rope kit and buy spurs Sep and save $200?

Lots of people leaving the business and thus a bunch of used climbing stuff on the market. Just getting started? Maybe used is the way to go... If you don't like what you have, sell it later for what you paid.

Lots of people leaving the business and thus a bunch of used climbing stuff on the market. Just getting started? Maybe used is the way to go... If you don't like what you have, sell it later for what you paid.

ehhh i dont want to buy used climbing equipment... Doesnt sound safe IMO

If you want to buy new everything, take your time and try out others people gear if you can. Buying the kit will give you everything you need but you might find out you don't like certain items or you really don't need it. Its very easy to become a gear junkie.

So buy new and after you have it for a week you're climbing in used equipment, eh?

Even Jepson says "don't use another man's gear". Shock loads, cycles to failure, how often was the gear left lying on concrete, in the back of the truck in the rain, etc. all that. For life support, best to start fresh or from a personally known source.

Put yours together from scratch after you've done your research/asked you specific questions. A little more work but like what was said, you may end up with something you don't like otherwise. I HIGHLY recommend a 2-in-1 lanyard over other types. For me the cons of "cut-proof" lanyard outweighed the pros; besides KISS and TieInTwiceS so I have this and am going to get an 8' secondary: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=160&item=534

And don't worry C-GAD is normal :msp_thumbup:

The more I've researched the more I found that I can piece together a similar kit for close to the same price or lower depending on your needs/wants. Wesspur has a good split tail kit, add a throw line kit, flipline and a rope etc. they do have different flipline kits so you can pick your own rather getting one because its in the kit. Search their site and they have a coupon for a free e2e prusik. Also if you order a catalog from sherrill you get a coupon code for 10 percent off, took 2 weeks to get it tho. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeh I pieced together a kit and came out $300 cheaper but that's cuz I put in a diff saddle. Oh and that's without spurs too... And I'm talking about just the rope kit. Not combo. If I add spurs to make it a combo kit ill b about $500 cheaper than their combo kit. Now I just have to pull the trigger lol

Have you actually worn the saddle you are thinking of buying? Every butt fits different in a given saddle. You may hate the same one I think fits me the best, or the other way around. Don't buy on price, the $200 difference is nothing over the life of the saddle. Having one that allows you to do just 1 extra tree a week will make up that price difference in the first month.
My suggestion is to check out a local supplier of tree gear such as Vermeer/Sherrill or one of the independents. Most of them have a means of letting you hang from a rope to test different saddles. Don't be afraid to change the adjustments to get the best fit. You should be able to just hang in the saddle for at least 30 minutes without things going numb, or getting painful. I think it took 3 saddles, and a number of adjustments to find one I was truly comfortable in.

As for biners, climbing lines, rigging gear etc. I have no problem getting them mail order to save a bit of money, but when it comes to the saddle, TRY before you BUY!

Rick

I see that you are just over an hour from ATL. There are a few nice tree supply stores there that you can visit. It is easy to get the 'kid in a candy store' feeling when looking at all the choices available. Get actual hands on feel of ropes and gear while you are there, and make notes for future purchases. It will pay off in the long run.
Rick

I see that you are just over an hour from ATL. There are a few nice tree supply stores there that you can visit. It is easy to get the 'kid in a candy store' feeling when looking at all the choices available. Get actual hands on feel of ropes and gear while you are there, and make notes for future purchases. It will pay off in the long run.
Rick

So vermeer will have saddles and stuff in stock? There is one in Marietta. I will go down there and check them out before I do any buying. I will call them in the morn to see what they have in stock and try to get down there at the end of the week! Haha here comes the kid in a candy store syndrome! I'm sure I will walk out of there with more than what I walked in there intending on getting!!

I was making trips from here to Williamsburg, VA every few months when I first started climbing. Stopped at Vermeer and talked to one of the sales guys in there who did climbing tree work on the side. ( He was full time climber before working for Vermeer ) Spent a few hours hanging in different saddles and picking his brain from time to time. Was serious about starting my own tree business and had some work I could do in VA that wouldn't interfere with the tree guy I was working for here in NC. My first order from Sherrill was just over $3000 and I earned back more than 3/4 of that on the next trip to VA. I understand 'kid in a candy store' very well.

I was making trips from here to Williamsburg, VA every few months when I first started climbing. Stopped at Vermeer and talked to one of the sales guys in there who did climbing tree work on the side. ( He was full time climber before working for Vermeer ) Spent a few hours hanging in different saddles and picking his brain from time to time. Was serious about starting my own tree business and had some work I could do in VA that wouldn't interfere with the tree guy I was working for here in NC. My first order from Sherrill was just over $3000 and I earned back more than 3/4 of that on the next trip to VA. I understand 'kid in a candy store' very well.

I called this morning. The guy recommended that I come on a Friday cuz that's when they will have a full inventory and more saddles to test. Won't be able to make it this Friday so I will go next Friday... :)

Well Dude, you have 6 more days to come to your senses before the addiction gets you. Once you start climbing and buying gear, it is too late. Best of luck to you.
Rick

So vermeer will have saddles and stuff in stock? There is one in Marietta. ....
This goes for anyone in ATL or nearby, you are welcome to come try out any of the stuff I have, (couple of Rope Wrenches, Unicender, Rig, CELanyard, steel lanyards, Wesspur premium combo kit, ropes kernmantle, double braid, 16 strand etc. etc..... I'm pretty much an addicted gear junkie and have various types of gear and some nice trees to climb including a spar you can practice using spikes on.

Time is up...... So tell us, did you wise up or are you another tree junkie like the rest of us?

Rick

Latest posts

Back