should i buy this climbing kit or piece together?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This goes for anyone in ATL or nearby, you are welcome to come try out any of the stuff I have, (couple of Rope Wrenches, Unicender, Rig, CELanyard, steel lanyards, Wesspur premium combo kit, ropes kernmantle, double braid, 16 strand etc. etc..... I'm pretty much an addicted gear junkie and have various types of gear and some nice trees to climb including a spar you can practice using spikes on.

I was in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago picking up a stump grinder from global equipment exporters. Damn it, I could have stop and made fun of you in person, wait I mean I could have meet you. :hmm3grin2orange:

I was in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago picking up a stump grinder from global equipment exporters. Damn it, I could have stop and made fun of you in person, wait I mean I could have meet you. :hmm3grin2orange:
That's too bad you probably would have enjoyed yourself plus you could show me how to use My new hitchhiker.

What's going on - your gear inventory is lacking a ZigZag, Smokey.
And I don't want to hear no measly not-midline attachable / not SRT compatible excuses!

What's going on - your gear inventory is lacking a ZigZag, Smokey.
And I don't want to hear no measly not-midline attachable / not SRT compatible excuses!

It's because I have the Zignex System that does exactly the same thing including not being midline attachable and it costs a lot less.
I forgot to mention that it is also SRT compatible

Last edited:
I forgot about your Zignex! Have to made any further mods or upgrades to the prototype?
If somebody on another forum sees it, it will probably get re-named the "X"nex Climbing System.
Btw, my ZigZag is lovely; very pretty indeed. Even just looking at it puts me in a happy place.

I forgot about your Zignex! Have to made any further mods or upgrades to the prototype?
If somebody on another forum sees it, it will probably get re-named the "X"nex Climbing System.
Btw, my ZigZag is lovely; very pretty indeed. Even just looking at it puts me in a happy place.

Hey Dave, good to hear you are loving the ZigZag, I do hear great things about it, sounds like the ultimate in smooth.
Have you tried it with the RW yet, that looks like a real sweat deal making it SRT and DdRT.
I did do a little change to the connection point on the Tennex TEC, which works pretty well. But as you know it is all just an experiment and helps me understand how systems work. It will never be produced as there is NO money in it for manufactures and marketers, for $1.95 in US dollars who would bother.
I'll watch for your posts on the "another forum".
Cheers

View attachment 284127

We did talk about it over there, under the subject of " Open source innovation and public domain" and as usual got some intelligent feedback.

This goes for anyone in ATL or nearby, you are welcome to come try out any of the stuff I have, (couple of Rope Wrenches, Unicender, Rig, CELanyard, steel lanyards, Wesspur premium combo kit, ropes kernmantle, double braid, 16 strand etc. etc..... I'm pretty much an addicted gear junkie and have various types of gear and some nice trees to climb including a spar you can practice using spikes on.

Nice offer Smokey. Too bad I live half way around the world from where you are..... :msp_smile:

Hey Dave, good to hear you are loving the ZigZag, I do hear great things about it, sounds like the ultimate in smooth.
Have you tried it with the RW yet, that looks like a real sweat deal making it SRT and DdRT.
I did do a little change to the connection point on the Tennex TEC, which works pretty well. But as you know it is all just an experiment and helps me understand how systems work. It will never be produced as there is NO money in it for manufactures and marketers, for $1.95 in US dollars who would bother.
I'll watch for your posts on the "another forum".
Cheers

View attachment 284127

You CAN NOT use the zig zag SRT. Others have tried even though petzl says do not use it SRT and now there is a issue with it that is holding up more coming onto the market because of people not being able to read.

Nice offer Smokey. Too bad I live half way around the world from where you are..... :msp_smile:
Yep and I know is nice there.
If you ever get this way you would be welcome. I have about 100 aces of all kinds of hardwoods and pines available to climb, the equipment to use and a place to stay if anyone needs it. (Oh.........and a nice chair on top of a tall spar you can take a photo in and send it home to your friends for a laugh.)

Cheers

You CAN NOT use the zig zag SRT. Others have tried even though petzl says do not use it SRT and now there is a issue with it that is holding up more coming onto the market because of people not being able to read.

Interesting, what are the issues that the ZigZag is having? It looks so cool!
Ya, reading and following instructions can be a challenge sometimes. Reminds me of trying to put together my outdoor BBQ, damn thing almost took flying lessons. (and who over there is China does those translations!!)

I understand what you are saying, complex that issue of can and cannot I think.
I am sure Petzl could make one SRT just by adding some more zigs and zags, just like you can make a VT work SRT by adding more voldotrain's and more tresses, just does not manage well. Appears to me that with the current number of zags and zigs the tool handles friction well in the 100+- pound range, just not sure why the tool would care if it came via a branch overhead or a RW or some other device overhead. I can, on the other hand, understand that the product liability lawyers would have some thoughts.

Last edited:
A 275 lb climber DdRT on a friction saver would be applying (approximately) the same amount of tension to the ZigZag as a 140 lb climber SRT? One would think the device would be designed and tested to be able to handle a broad weight spectrum, so I'm not sure what is going on.

A 275 lb climber DdRT on a friction saver would be applying (approximately) the same amount of tension to the ZigZag as a 140 lb climber SRT? One would think the device would be designed and tested to be able to handle a broad weight spectrum, so I'm not sure what is going on.
That is a good point and it would be interesting to know what that the outer limits to that spectrum are. Probably akin to what most know when you deal with a Blakes hitch and a "heavy" climber, it starts to lock up and they need additional wraps.
I would imagine that the ZigZag just gets to the point that you can't release it or get it to function smoothly. (Telling that 275 lb climber to miss a meal or two would help too. :msp_smile:)

I do see on the Petzl instruction sheet
page 18, info abut it needing added friction SRT......

"Precautions The ZIGZAG is not designed for working in single mode. In this configuration, adding a braking system is essential"...

That seems to open some doors.............but I don't know.........I still think they look cool!

Just some more food for thought........

Page 4.........Petzl

"Working load limit: 140 kg/one person. This product must not be pushed beyond its limits, nor be used for any purpose
other than that for which it is designed." 140kg=309 pounds (YaThink I might just be there if I keep putting more gear on my belt)

Last edited:
its a issue of it over extending because of a different pull angle being srt vs drt. Because of this different angle, the stainless plates rub on the alum side plates. There is another thread on this showing the damage.

its a issue of it over extending because of a different pull angle being srt vs drt. Because of this different angle, the stainless plates rub on the alum side plates. There is another thread on this showing the damage.
Oh I see, I did see the picture you refer to but not being that familiar with the zigzag I could not tell what the damage was. It does make total sense I can see how that angle would be off for SRT. Thanks for explaining that to me.
I guess I will keep working on my Unicender mods.

Back