The Oregon File Guide modded for square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just starting to try/learn about square ground chain with nothing to show for it yet. But because of this thread I ordered a Save Edge triangular chisel chain file from Bailey's and it fit in all of the several Granberg / Oregon style filing guides described in this thread. I have not tried to file with it yet.

I know that a lot of guys prefer the double bevel files for hand filing, but once it is in the guide, any reason why the triangular files won't work?

Thanks.

Philbert

I've sharpened square chains with the triangular files and they work just fine. They have a good feel.

I am just starting to try/learn about square ground chain with nothing to show for it yet. But because of this thread I ordered a Save Edge triangular chisel chain file from Bailey's and it fit in all of the several Granberg / Oregon style filing guides described in this thread. I have not tried to file with it yet.

I know that a lot of guys prefer the double bevel files for hand filing, but once it is in the guide, any reason why the triangular files won't work?

Thanks.

Philbert

I don't like the vertical angle the triangle file gives you.

View attachment 279404View attachment 279405

Well Im going to try the triangular file and see what happens. I have been a round filer for 34 years and that guide is that old.
1. It fits in my guide, big plus, I am OCD about this.
2. I dedicate this chain to the square technique, and just to switch it up a little I am going half skip for this chain.
Ran the file over the factory edge after cutting a couple of tanks of fuel, it was certainly different on the new chain.

Well Im going to try the triangular file and see what happens. I have been a round filer for 34 years and that guide is that old.
1. It fits in my guide, big plus, I am OCD about this.
2. I dedicate this chain to the square technique, and just to switch it up a little I am going half skip for this chain.
Ran the file over the factory edge after cutting a couple of tanks of fuel, it was certainly different on the new chain.

Your photos did not show - please try to re-post them?

Thanks.

Philbert

Those photos showed up.

Not to be fussy, but to keep things straight, it looks like you are using a 'double bevel file' instead of a 'triangular file'.

279412d1359503147-picture-5-png

Philbert

The pics probably are not the greatest, but that file is triangular, ok well if we are technical, that file is six sided.
That flipping file was $10.00, which was something pushed me over the edge to try it. I had to know what a $10.00 file could do.

The file you call triangular is actually six sided

It only has three corners though

I've used them and like them as well as the double bevel files

Bumping this up for a friend.
You can make your own guide for any file on any chain. I like guides, I have them for many files and many chains to do many different things. If Dennis Cahoon lived closer, I'd throw them all away hahahahaha!
Hope everyone is well! Thanks for all the help!

Bumping this up for a friend.
You can make your own guide for any file on any chain. I like guides, I have them for many files and many chains to do many different things. If Dennis Cahoon lived closer, I'd throw them all away hahahahaha!
Hope everyone is well! Thanks for all the help!

He aint got time to #### with us wood ticks.

Did anyone find a way to use the filing guide to square file. Has anyone used a triangle file without having to do a lot of modification?

Did anyone find a way to use the filing guide to square file. Has anyone used a triangle file without having to do a lot of modification?
Yep to your first question. The way I did it was to look on feebay for one of the old Nygrans with the notches that hold a double bevel file. That has worked pretty well. Very occasionally, one of the Granberg G-107's shows up as well. That is the factory square filing jig that allows you to adjust the file angle. Most of the Nygrans are pretty worn though, so you will probably wind up cobbling together several to get one that doesn't have a lot of slop in it.

For your second question, I run .325 chain so the triangle file is too thick to fit my chains. I bought one and haven't been able to use it. It fits the Granberg style guides without modification though, from what I've seen.

Latest posts

Back