Rope swing recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Might not should post this in the chainsaw forum, but the chainsaw guys here are who I trust the most and figured it would get the most exposure here as well.

I've got a leaning post oak and want to make an awesome rope swing for my kids. There is a spot 40' high that I can get to with a climbing stand on the pine tree right next to the oak. I've been up there and can attach a bracket on the oak easily. Next door neighbor said the tree has always been leaning like this so I feel it is stable. It's healthy, just leaning at probably 20 degrees plus or minus (just guessing, pic attached)View attachment 301718.

What rope, where's the best price on rope, and how should I attach to ensure no long term damage to the post oak?

Thanks,

Waylan

I have an oak tree that once had a swing. All that is evidence is two metal rings that must be like a lag bolt with a ring on the end. I hit something similar once in a load of tree firewood in tree lengths. The kind of thing one might use for a clothes line but the appropriate size. It seems not to harm the tree and the one I hit in the log would have been avoided if it was seen but it was totally inside.

That is a long run. Nylon stretches a lot. In fishing dacron I believe is the choice for low stretch. I will let you research that aspect or get someone else. Braided, twisted, cored and covered. If they start doing the twist the swing and get dizzy probably ought to remove it.

Dacron = polyester (not the same as polypropylene) and very low stretch compared to nylon.
It's been so long since I've seen a rope swing that I don't think I've seen one which wasn't made of plant fiber like hemp or sisal.

Dacron Polyester double braid is what you want

Thanks for the input guys.

From doing my own reading, I had also come to the conclusion of double braided polyester. I know we have some climbers on AS - wanted to see if they had a different recommendation.

Any other recommendations for attachment to tree?

Should I be worried about the tree leaning like this if it has been this way for over 10 years (minimum)?

Thanks for the input guys.

From doing my own reading, I had also come to the conclusion of double braided polyester. I know we have some climbers on AS - wanted to see if they had a different recommendation.

Any other recommendations for attachment to tree?

Should I be worried about the tree leaning like this if it has been this way for over 10 years (minimum)?

Not sure how you should attach it? wrapping around the tree probably not a good ideal, maybe some kind of big eye hook.
As far as the tree leaning I think you'll be OK, just don't let any fat kids swing on it.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Not sure how you should attach it? wrapping around the tree probably not a good ideal, maybe some kind of big eye hook.
As far as the tree leaning I think you'll be OK, just don't let any fat kids swing on it.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last rope swing I helped set up only lasted a few days. I don't recall how it was tied off but the heavy hemp rope was somehow looped over itself once pulled up by the smaller throw rope.

The self proclaimed genius that insisted on doing this was the one to go for an unintended bounce and roll. Classic.

The Lean?

Don't worry it will be fine, until it's not fine.

Growing up their was a great rope swing into the river over a 15' high cliff. All was good until one unfortunate (drunk) soul let go at the wrong time and died on the rocks below.

His father cut down the tree the next day.

Last edited:
Why didn't he blast the rocks, too? It seems a bit unfair to blame it on the tree.

Come to think of it, he should have also drained the river and bulldozed the cliff.

Last edited:
Why didn't he blast the rocks, too? It seems a bit unfair to blame it on the tree.

Come to think of it, he should have also drained the river and bulldozed the cliff.

Maybe we should cut down the 'magazine capacity' of the fuel tank too. If the fuel tank was smaller, maybe he would have run out of fuel before the tree was completely dropped.

I didn't say I agreed with cutting down the tree. The kid that died was from a neighboring town, so we were all more upset that we lost the swing. It was a popular spot to go when ditching school.

Truth be told it would probably have been more effective to take out the dam down river -- wouldn't have had any water left to jump into.

Naw, this day and age, one would be a fool to put up one on his own property, unless you want to lose all of your property in a lawsuit.

Sad but quite true....

When we were kids we tied an old garden hose to the old train bridge in town and would climb down the 40' hose to the island and fish
I can still remember how much the hose would stretch when i would start down off the bridge...
some of the dumb stuff we did when we were kids:bang: it's a wonder i'm still here:msp_smile:

Thanks for the additional comments. Any other advice on attaching it to the tree?

I was thinking of a piece of 1/4" x 4" flat bar maybe 6-8" long, with 4 lag bolts holding it to the tree - with a welded loop of steel to tie the rope to. I think the tree would survive better than a rope going around the tree. I don't want the rope to wear through on the steel though.

Any additional advice is much welcomed.

Thanks,

Waylan

Thanks for the additional comments. Any other advice on attaching it to the tree?

I was thinking of a piece of 1/4" x 4" flat bar maybe 6-8" long, with 4 lag bolts holding it to the tree - with a welded loop of steel to tie the rope to. I think the tree would survive better than a rope going around the tree. I don't want the rope to wear through on the steel though.

Any additional advice is much welcomed.

Thanks,

Waylan

How about locking carabiners in through eyebolts? braid the rope in a loop back on itself, about 15 -18 inches, and then run the locking carabiners through those loops.

We used to put up rope swings. If you have a branch, instead of the trunk, we would drill all the way through the branch and put a half inch bolt with a ring on one end. On the other side of the branch, where the bolt comes through, put a large diamond shaped washer. Trace the shape of the washer on the branch and cut out the bark. That will let the tree heal over the wound better than crushing the bark. When you attach the rope to the ring you have to put a steel thimble on the end of the rope. If you just run the rope through the ring and use a good knot, like a bowline, the rocking back and forth will eventually wear through the rope and cut it. We would use 5/8 inch "Bull Line", that's the large rope tree men use to lower large sections of trees. We used New England Rope "Bull Line", it's tensile strength is 10,900 lbs. I have 300 feet left from a 600 ft role, and would be glad to give you a piece, but it would probably cost as much to ship it as to buy a piece. Our local Kubota dealer sells tree climbing equipment. Call around and find some one that sells climbing gear and they will have rope. They often have odd length pieces left over that they will sell cheap. You could use half inch climbing line and be good, it's rated at 7,000 lbs. We always used Bull Line just because we had it. On old 3 strand rope we would splice it back on itself. On braided line I think we used a taught line hitch, Joe.

Last edited:
I've used automotive 'v' belts, they last an amazingly long time and seem to wear against the branch well.

I use 1" black truckers rope. I make a large loop at the end and use a throw line to get it around 20' high in the oak tree. Since the rope is through the loop there is very little damage to the branch and very simple. The swing has been there for over 30 years and is on the third rope.
Frank

Update: rarefish383 was kind enough to send me ~60 of rope. I think I can get the rope 50' high in the tree. I have a couple more questions though:

1. For a seat, should I use a board with a hole in the middle? A tire? I even thought about a climbing saddle for additional safety.

2. There is a light pole with a security light on it about 100' from the tree. I have considered climbing that pole and hanging a pulley. This would be used with a quick release on the swing. I could pull the swing up about 30' high, and the swinger would have access to a quick release to pull to initiate the swinging. I felt this would be safer and easier than building a platform to launch from but would like other's thoughts on safety and such.

Thanks,

Waylan

Back