Logging Contracts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whiate pine?

Im looking for eastern white pine. 24 to 32 inch butts or bigger and at least 35 feet long.

Thank you all for the advice.

I finally walked the lot with the State Forester this morning.

Next I've got to get some bids for putting in a road; the statie recommended keeping the landing up in the woods, out of site and out of mind. I'm inclined to agree as the only place on the road that I could put it has 3 drainages systems coming out. I guess that means a bigger road and turn around for the house site. I should take the house site clearing (access, stumping and grading(maybe 2 acres)) out of the HO share right?

I also have to find a low grade pine and cord wood buyer.

For the skidding I am going to try my buddies big Deere, but will probably end up subbing it to a skidker.

I am also considering buying the timber rights as there will be some killer oaks in there in 10-15 yrs: I would come up with a total estimate, low grade and cord wood to pay the HO 40% of said estimate, and put in contract the logging rights or 60% cash when she sells to land, which ever comes first. Does this sound reasonable?

What kind of insurance do you guys use? Granted I do not have any credit rating, no official business or history and am only 20 yrs old???

Thanks,
Ru

Sounds like a solid plan.

For insurance, there are several outfits locale here that cater to loggers, Maybe call some local outfits and find who they are using? My liability is less then car insurance... Full coverage???

If your buddy lets you borrow his skidder do that (and don't tear it up) until you can get your own, maybe pay him a bit of rent. Subbing it out is paying some other dude to A: skid your logs B: keep his machine in repairs and fuel and C: pay his wage (the part that would normally go in your pocket...

After you take your money from the stumpage, the trucker takes his, the excavater takes his, your friend takes his, and the sub skidder takes his, the land owner will get zero.

There isn't enough money to go around. Not unless there's $70K in wood there.

And a farm tractor will get you killed on steep ground- if you don't go broke first.

My advice: Turn a local logger on to it for a fee of $500 up front. Easy money.

Back