HELP NEEDED...to identify a STIHL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towingace

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sitting on the floor next to me is a lonely little Stihl that has lost it's identity plate. I am pretty sure it's either a 024 or 026. Is there a way to tell which one it is without taking it apart? I know pics would help a lot but right now I don't have. It has H,L and A/L carb adjustments, two bar studs (I guess some 024,s only had one?), no de-comp (why would an 026 have one?) and a red on/off/choke switch. I would find the serial# but past experience with those on a Stihl didn't help much. I know there are other variables such as Supers and Pros and some "just cuz" confusions but I'm just hopin' somebody might be able to enlighten me.

If it has fins on top of the jug its an 026, no fins its an 024. Another way to check is, pull the muffler stick a spray can or coffee stray in and rotate the crank. The piston will leave a mark and you can measure the bore that way.

Sitting on the floor next to me is a lonely little Stihl that has lost it's identity plate. I am pretty sure it's either a 024 or 026. Is there a way to tell which one it is without taking it apart? I know pics would help a lot but right now I don't have. It has H,L and A/L carb adjustments, two bar studs (I guess some 024,s only had one?), no de-comp (why would an 026 have one?) and a red on/off/choke switch. I would find the serial# but past experience with those on a Stihl didn't help much. I know there are other variables such as Supers and Pros and some "just cuz" confusions but I'm just hopin' somebody might be able to enlighten me.

Vertical fins on the top of the cylinder will help tell if it is an 026 or 024. No fins on the top is an 024, fins on the top 026. I hope this is right if not someone with more knowledge will come along and point you in the right direction.

50blues can type faster than me.

I don't know how to "reply to quote" from two people at the same time so I'll just say thanks to both of you. I didn't know about the fin thing. It does have the fins on top so now we're getting somewhere. Tomorrow I'm going to order that brand new 026 plate that I saw for sale and re-identify it! Thanks again.:cheers:

There were 024's with fins to. There were three different cylinders. The one with fins had a decomp on it.

Aren't the 024 cylinder and air filter covers lower than the 026? Because of the flat top cylinder of course.

Not necessarily. Versions of the 024 shared air filter and filter plastic with the 026.

I have several 026's and one I don't know. The one i'm wondering about has 026 badging/plastic looks exactly like my other 026's but I was told by a shop that it was an 024? it does have fins and two bar nuts and a place for a decomp valve but no button. Are the body's exactaly the same the only difference is inside bore/stroke? Serial numbers don't really mean too much just dates and such I'm told. I might have to find an 024 on CL just because I need one !

Back