husqvarna 51 shutting off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndigity26

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a husky 51 a few months back for real cheep and didn't really have any use for it so when a friend looking for a firewood saw was in need I gave it to him. He was elated and I felt good because hey sometimes it cool to see someone get pumped about something like that. The down side is now it is shutting off after running full throttle for a short period of time and I live to far from him to really swing by an look at the saw. I was wondering if it was the coil but I'm not sure. I told him to take it to a dealer and have them go over it but I figured I'd see if anyone here has any knowledge on the matter.

Would really need more data to diagnose it. How long is a short period of time? A coil typically takes a while to heat up to the point of failure so I would be looking at a fuel issue such as plugged tank vent, carb/impulse issue, etc.

Did he mix oil with the gas? Might be a little too low on compression now?? Id tell him to give it the ole drop test, then check for spark when its not firing, and while checking said plug for spark, is it dry or wet. Air, Fuel, Spark, that easy. Good Luck.

Would really need more data to diagnose it. How long is a short period of time? A coil typically takes a while to heat up to the point of failure so I would be looking at a fuel issue such as plugged tank vent, carb/impulse issue, etc.
I think its running for a few minutes of cutting then it seems like its overheated said there is a smell like something heated up.

Hello all, I am actually the fortunate recipient of the said husqvarna 51 mentioned. I stumbled upon this question on a Google search and joined.. The first time I used the saw was perfect.. 2 days later I was limbing some logs and smelled what seemed like a melting wire coming from the coil side of the saw.. Since that day the saw will start fine and run full throttle but as soon as u release the throttle the saw shuts off.. After a few minutes it will start but the process repeats.. That is the issue as it stands.. Any help or insight as to what the smell could have been would be welcomed. And thank you for the effort.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'll take it from here .. Thanks

Hello all, I am actually the fortunate recipient of the said husqvarna 51 mentioned. I stumbled upon this question on a Google search and joined.. The first time I used the saw was perfect.. 2 days later I was limbing some logs and smelled what seemed like a melting wire coming from the coil side of the saw.. Since that day the saw will start fine and run full throttle but as soon as u release the throttle the saw shuts off.. After a few minutes it will start but the process repeats.. That is the issue as it stands.. Any help or insight as to what the smell could have been would be welcomed. And thank you for the effort.

you need to change that avatar, do the right thing here and show the arboristsite community what's up.

I'll have to figure that out.. Maybe there is a forum for that

I assure you all that the novice tendencies do not apply here.. That being said as far as rebuilding and tearing down the engine and components I am not as proficient said like to be so rather than causing any undo harm by prodding at the issue needlessly I am hoping to tap into the minds of the more experienced mechanics out there. I have ordered the coil any how as it is the same coil for my 266XP and that is from 1989 so it may come in handy on the shelf if it turns out not to be the coil

I assure you all that the novice tendencies do not apply here.. That being said as far as rebuilding and tearing down the engine and components I am not as proficient said like to be so rather than causing any undo harm by prodding at the issue needlessly I am hoping to tap into the minds of the more experienced mechanics out there. I have ordered the coil any how as it is the same coil for my 266XP and that is from 1989 so it may come in handy on the shelf if it turns out not to be the coil

OK, so why not try out the 266 coil first before spending the $ ???? I see you have already ordered it so IMO, spare parts are good parts !
Good luck.

Steve

Did an edit as I misunderstood the context of underlined quote.......

If you have a 266xp, why are you cutting with a open port 51?? I know some of you old fellas like lighter weight saws, but I dunno Id stick with making firewood with the faster, more powerfull saw.

But any how, use a business card to gap the coil and swap the 266 coil on there. If it runs, viola!

If you have a 266xp, why are you cutting with a open port 51?? I know some of you old fellas like lighter weight saws, but I dunno Id stick with making firewood with the faster, more powerfull saw.

But any how, use a business card to gap the coil and swap the 266 coil on there. If it runs, viola!

Big saw, little saw. Practically everyone on this forum has a 50 cc saw. don't you?

Yeah, I do. Its a Husky too, not open port though. And for firewood duty the 50cc rarely gets used, im a strong believer that a firewood saw starts at 60cc. But thats just my opinion. Any luck swapping coils?? The way he stated "overheat" had me worried it melted down, but hopefully just the electronics cooked.

Back