Do you wear your chaps while splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was splitting the other day and had to cut a few long pieces before I started so I put my chaps on.
I forgot to take them off and split the truck and trailer load up.
After getting home I noticed that my legs were free of the bumps and bruises that I normally get.
Split another load today and never had the saw out so no chaps.
My legs are kind of beat up and one pretty good bruise.

I think I am going to start wearing my chaps all the time when splitting.
Ether that or start going really slow and be really careful as the splits fall off the splitter.

Chad

I split with ax and maul. Long 40 inch handles with the rounds mostly on the ground and in tires. This time of year mostly in shorts and flip flops. Never get bruised or scratched splitting.

I used to wear them splitting but quit for some reason. I should start doing it again as my legs are always in a state of being beat up. If it isn't from a round bouncing off a shin, it is from one I dropped or banging into a piece of equipment.

Harry K

I've got my Carhartt overalls that provide a bit of protection and padding while splitting.

Nope, not for splitting.

I've hit my legs with a split once. It was an odd piece, my aim was poor, it hurt. Hundreds of splits later....it has not happened again.

Back