066 debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I took apart my 066 about a year ago, the piston was shot and the cylinder had seen better days. New job has me being home for 2weeks at a time and having some extra $$ so I'm thinking or rebuilding the saw.

I've been looking online at new P/C.. I can get a new Meteor kit from Baileys for twice the price as a Nikasil kit on ebay in Canada..

The saw worked fine before I took it apart it just seemed off, I'm not looking for high performance ported qucik numbers saw. Honestly this saw is way more then what I need I just have it so I want it to work and be dependable.

Is the Nikasil fine for what I expect? I only want to do this once. I was thinking about dropping it off at the dealer but I have a thing with dealers.

If the saw was running fine, what was wrong with the piston and cylinder? An 066 is not something I'd cheap out on, but if I did I'd order a Meteor kit from Weedeaterman.com

It is also imperative to find out exactly what caused any piston/cylinder damage originally.

if the jug is junk then replace it with a new stock jug (if you can get one for a good price) or a good used one don't chink out on a nice saw

Like I said the saw is more then I need, it worked fine every other time I used it. I use it 2-3-4 times a year as needed.. sometimes I cute 6 cords dropped in my yard sometimes it's helping a neighbor drop a dead tree. I always empty the fuel out because I never know how log it'll sit. the last time I used it I was cutting a 36" maple that had fallen across an old grave yard by my father in laws old farm house.. The saw started normal,, ran for abit and popped and died.. wouldn't start after a few pulls so I left it and grabbed my 310.. I could tell something was wrong because you don't just grab a MS 310 in place of a 066..

I have pics somewhere, I'm not pulling the trigger on buying parts so I'll wait until I'm home and take new ones to show you guys.. The piston was full of small piston the walls and I think the cylinder was grooved.. But I will got look again. I'm 4000km away from my saw right now

First try and clean up the cylinder - it may well come good and is most likely just piston smeared all over the walls. Use hydrochloric acid and a plastic scotch bright style pad. Obviously not at the same time. Do a search for cleaning cylinder walls on AS. Then get a new cylinder of your choice (even an OEM isn't that much for just a piston). Or if the cylinder is rooted get an OEM one - not aftermarket. Go second hand if you can't afford new, you'll just have a find a way of knowing the condition;)

Then find out why it burned out. Then reassemble...

So I took apart my 066 about a year ago, the piston was shot and the cylinder had seen better days. New job has me being home for 2weeks at a time and having some extra $$ so I'm thinking or rebuilding the saw.

I've been looking online at new P/C.. I can get a new Meteor kit from Baileys for twice the price as a Nikasil kit on ebay in Canada..

The saw worked fine before I took it apart it just seemed off, I'm not looking for high performance ported qucik numbers saw. Honestly this saw is way more then what I need I just have it so I want it to work and be dependable.

Is the Nikasil fine for what I expect? I only want to do this once. I was thinking about dropping it off at the dealer but I have a thing with dealers.

You better check out the shipping on anything you buy from Baileys, it might surprise you greatly. Nikasil is what all good cylinders are lined with but a lot of the aftermarket cylinders are not good quality. Buying one from our site sponsors will at least give you some recourse should it fail prematurely.

Latest posts

Back