Found a brand new 460 but its too big.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David K

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was actually looking at New Husqvarna 372 or 562 XP because of their weight and discounts when I stumbled across a never used Stihl 460 at a great price on craigslist.
It is just more cumbersome for most of the cutting I do so wanted to get the shortest bar within reason. It came with a full chisel 25".
Will a 16" Rollomatic work or is the saw just overkill with that bar ?
Also need advice on chains. I am a landowner on a treed lot so dont need a professional chain. Mostly 12" to 20" diameter post oaks.

Thanks.

A 16" bar on that saw is like a Duramax 3500 on donut spares.

:D

PS I need the 25" for some work ( like a dead 30" Cottonwood so am glad I have it) but IMO its overkill for most of what needs to be done.

I gotta admit if you had a 16" bar on there she would fly through the wood! If the saw is cheap get it hell a 460 is hard to beat. A 25" bar is a good all around size IMHO.

Think I'm just going to leave it at 25", get used to it, and buy a few extra chains rather than buying a new bar to save half a pound.
I do have a craptastic Echo 16" but it throws chains constantly which is another reason for buying this rig.

You say sometimes you need the longer bar. I've been thinking you need a smaller saw to go with the 046. Alas,the craptastic Echo. Is there something wrong with it besides throwing the chain? I would leave the bigger saw a bigger saw and fix the Echo.

There is nothing wrong with running the shortest bar that will get the job done (unless you're on the west coast). I find 16" to be a little short for that size powerhead, but happily run 18" when the situation allows. Makes a 70cc class saw feel pretty sporty.

If you want a smaller saw, post the MS460 over in the trading post and sell it. Then buy your choice. I would never run a short bar on a big saw like that because if a short bar will do the job, so will a lighter saw. If weight is of no concern then keep what you have.
If it were me, I would keep that and buy a decent 50cc class saw as that would do the majority of the cutting you need to do. A good used one can be had for $200 to $275. And I'll tell you right now, if you sell that 460 you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for years.

Latest posts

Back