Found a brand new 460 but its too big.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could sell it and pick up a good 60cc with 18"/24" bars and a couple loops of chain... It'll be more versatile and lighter.

You could also just throw a 20" on the 460 and run it.. It'll be a hot rod and simpler than selling and buying another. I ran a 20" on my 066 for years because I have no need for a longer bar in this area.

I wouldn't go as short as a 16... 16 is only good at limbing.. You'd be surprised how much easier a 20" is to swing around compared to a 25. The Stihl bar mount is really common so you could probably find a used bar or even borrow one to try out and see if you like it.

Drop the rakers on a 16/18/20" bar and hold on did that for my 660 AUS (usa wrap editon no wrap handle) muffler 20" and rm chain. Well hold on and watch out as said before

sent from a cracked screen

What Echo do you have? You might consider putting a better bar on it with a larger nose radius. I don't know the options off hand but you should be able to find something better than the junk laminated bar it came with. Why is it throwing chains, are you using it to prune shrubs?

Personally I think you are outgunned for what you need. Put that overweight 460 up for sale and let a guy that needs a 70/80cc class saw have at it and pick up something in the 50/60cc range. Personally I'd go with a 14-16" setup on the Echo depending on model for limbing and small stuff and an 18-20" setup depending on 50 or 60cc displacement. Some of the 5 series autotune husqvarnas look quite tasty, like the 550, 555 or 562xp.

I like my short bar on my 460 for 2 reasons... better balance, and the majority of the wood I cut is 15-20". I can buck a log a lot quicker with that rig than anybody can with a 50 cc saw...

Drop the rakers on a 16/18/20" bar and hold on did that for my 660 AUS (usa wrap editon no wrap handle) muffler 20" and rm chain. Well hold on and watch out as said before

sent from a cracked screen
I did that with a 32". Rev, brace yourself, drop in the wood and hang on tight! I was bucking a 60" spruce at the time. Obviously not a recommended thing to do. It was fun as hell for a while but I was concerned that the crankshaft was going to meet an untimely demise.

Awesome score. I run a 24 inch and 20 inch on ported 372XP. I'm pretty much a fall and winter weekend cutter managing 20 + acres of woods. My CAD started with homeowner/landowner saws and building up to XP's, so I think you got it right by jumping to a pro level sawt. My dilemna was - even though I only need a 50cc or 60cc saw with shorter bars, I had a pro level saw sitting in my garage, so that's the saw I WANT to use. If you have a 460 at your disposal, you'll want to use that more - so get an 18 or 20 inch bar and have flexibility for all your cuts.

Back