Learned something about crank seals tonight!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calereeves

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
That is: if you're trying out the "screw in a little tiny screw" method of removing the seal, make sure that tiny little screw doesn't contact the plastic crank bearing keeper. Ugh! I'm not 100% positive that it wasn't already broken, as the screw never even really took the threads and started, it just poked a little hole. I used a screwdriver to pry that hole open enough to pop the seal up, and then found that black retainer was in several pieces.

Guess that trip to the stihl shop I was going to take tomorrow for a new seal will turn into an online order for seals and bearings. I've got another 044 carcass sitting to the side of the bench, I reckon I'll throw a jug on it tomorrow night and vacuum test it. If it checks out I'll put all the good parts on that carcass until the new bearings and seals get here for this one. I've got a guy that's been waiting for a couple of weeks for me to get this saw back together, and I'm hoping he doesn't get tired of waiting and go find another saw!!

f61d9180e83fb516ea0d238c667544ec.jpg

Them little balls ain't 'posed to be all bunched up like that, huh?

How much do they run at the dealer? Looks like I can get a Chinese set of bearings and seals for around $20-$25. Only problem is I'd like to get the saw together quicker than the slow boat from China shipping.

My 360 locked up almost solid when the retainers came apart and jammed up the works.

The Polymid plastic retainers will eventually break from heat etc. The plastic type retainers are considered better?

However, the retainer material doesn't tear up the engine like a metal retainer does.

With the retainer bad, eventually, the balls will bunch up on one side enough to lock the saw up.

Moral to the story: Change the bearings and seals every time You tear into the engine for anything.

The Stihl clutch side bearings are usually special and cost more money.

Threw a jug and base gasket on the second saw tonight to vacuum test it, and it was a slow leaker too. Not as bad as the first but leaked down in about 20 seconds. Put a little pressure on it and it was bubbling out between the crank and the spacer sleeve. Guess I'll double that order :/

Oh, and the dealer didn't stock them, so I had to place an online order.... looks like at least the weekend before they'll be here, if not next week.

Back