Husqvarna 55 crank seal driven in too deep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auskip07

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought i would ask those who would know best. I have just gotten back to a project that i shelved for a while and removed the worm gear today and the old crank seal. i drove the new crank seal in and i drove it in too deep (past the face of the case) im currently waiting on a new worm gear to reinstall and i wanted to get your opinion on if i need to pull the new seal out and drive another one in correctly or if its good to leave in the saw. (this is my personal project saw)

Firstly I wouldn't be concerned with your seal. Driving a seal a little deeper moves the seal off the possibly worn part of the crank from previous seal. In therory this should extend the lifespan of the new seal. Although I could be wrong.

I'd probably pull it. It would always be in the back of my mind every time I ran it knowing it wasn't right.
Unless it is right.
On a saw that old it’s very likely that the crank is slightly worn where the original seal rode. I’d leave it and see if it leaks

Thank yall, assembled the clutch side and everything worked out well. Pulled the flywheel side and replaced that seal also using @J D advice and that went in perfect. (the original seal didnt look as bad as the clutch side) Assembled and fired it up after 2 years of sitting around all i needed was a few parts and a couple hours of work to get another old saw running perfect.

Latest posts

Back