Small stove what's recommended?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, ummm... we're going to need a thread on this cabin.
Well, I will keep this in mind & get some more photos. We now have power to it and most of the wiring done. Just started insulation yesterday. Waiting on the well drilling crew to show up. Hope to have it pretty much wrapped up before it get too cold here.

Well, I will keep this in mind & get some more photos. We now have power to it and most of the wiring done. Just started insulation yesterday. Waiting on the well drilling crew to show up. Hope to have it pretty much wrapped up before it get too cold here.
Great looking cabin...very nice.

Yeah, ummm... we're going to need a thread on this cabin.
That cabin is almost exactly the same size as my chimney cleaner heats with his caboose stove. The Jotul 602 would work very well. A few years ago I almost bought one.

BTW, a few years ago LOML used to mean "Love Of My Life." It may have become extinct in today's progressive society.

One way to make a small stove work for you is to input into a thermal mass. Make a masonry wall and zigzag the flue with clean-outs on ends. Think Russian stove but with new materials.

One way to make a small stove work for you is to input into a thermal mass. Make a masonry wall and zigzag the flue with clean-outs on ends. Think Russian stove but with new materials.
The thermal mass retains heat that radiates heat into the room. Simple idea, but that mass has to be heated with a hot fire and requires a very good draft. The zigzag flue will also collect creosote and not be easy to clean out. Not good in my book because it could cause incredible chimney fires.

Chimney fires are BAD! I had one 5 yrs ago, the previous HO did the ZigZag with T's at every bend, unfortunately when the hot gases meet the cold air, you guessed it! Creosote build up at the last "T", it got so hot that it melted the stainless double walled flue at the roof line, 3 Alarm fire, and a lot of watered/ash damage.
IMO, stack stones around stove to retain heat, when the firebox starts to cool down. Then there's small doorway circulating fans to spread the heat evenly. I use 2 fans in the upper corners of my back bedrooms and when the stove has heated the main living area to 90*'s, the back bdrms are in the mid to high 70*'s. The Mstr Bath is the next project to tackle(heat wise). Best of luck to you some sacrifices are better than complete failure.

Dave6390 in WI

Latest posts

Back