Small stove what's recommended?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no tree to big

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
There's all kinds of info out for the biggest and badest stove out there not much on the smallest.

I just put a second floor on the house and we want to possibly consider a nice little stove in two of the bedrooms. There are too many people in the house who feel the bedroom door has to be closed at night so I can't just run one bigger one. I'm not necessarily looking for a 24/7 burn as we don't live in the bedroom but would be nice to be able to go to bed at 930 and wake up at 530 with a halfway warm room.

Obviously having them on the second floor means carrying wood upstairs so efficient is a must 16 inch capacity is all that's needed I can cut my wood to any length so that is non issue smaller the better because then the gf can stock wood when I'm at work ;)

What yall got for me

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Probably the standard for small stoves,

http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/jotul-f-602

Don't let the size fool you, these little guys throw some heat. The 16 inch length is pushing the limits though. They're much easier to feed with 12 to 14 inch length split on the smaller side. My Dad ran one for 30 years or more, He used to follow me around and cut his year's supply of wood out of the brush piles and small tops I would leave after cutting logs / firewood in an area.

As blades pointed out, always check codes before installation. The insurance companies will do anything to deny a claim, no reason to give them additional ammo.

Take Care

For what it would cost to buy and install a stove or stoves in your bedrooms you could surely buy a small electric heater and pay for probably 20 years worth of electricity.

I heat my house with a centrally located wood stove but I have a three rooms that stay pretty cool. It costs me less to run small electric heaters in those rooms (only when we are using them) than it does to try and circulate heat with fans 24/7.

The other thing to consider is that a stove, even a very small one, will likely overheat a bedroom. If you have any kind of central heating then you are only looking to raise the temperature 10-15 degrees in your cold room. 200sf is a pretty big bedroom, I don't know of any stoves rated for that small of a space. You probably only need a couple thousand BTUs to make those rooms comfortable. With an electric heater you can just turn it off or down. With a woodstove by the time you realize it is too hot it will be too late to do much other than open the windows.

Probably the standard for small stoves,

http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/jotul-f-602

Don't let the size fool you, these little guys throw some heat. The 16 inch length is pushing the limits though. They're much easier to feed with 12 to 14 inch length split on the smaller side. My Dad ran one for 30 years or more, He used to follow me around and cut his year's supply of wood out of the brush piles and small tops I would leave after cutting logs / firewood in an area.

As blades pointed out, always check codes before installation. The insurance companies will do anything to deny a claim, no reason to give them additional ammo.

Take Care
This is the stove! Best small stove made!

7354.png

so the bedrooms will both be about 450 square feet still to small for a small stove? We don't turn the furnace on right now for the original house we heat 90% with wood the other 10 % is the furnace kicking on when we are gone extended periods and the house drops below 50.

I want to try and avoid a wood furnace and stick with a stove is there a way to transfer heat from one stove in a central location into closed rooms? Probably not...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Fan through a wall with duct work will work the best for a room to room transfer.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money a nice little stove is a Shenendoah R-65. 16 inch logs are recomended and you get the option of burning coal. They have a magnetic thermostat for adjustments.

Fan through a wall with duct work will work the best for a room to room transfer.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money a nice little stove is a Shenendoah R-65. 16 inch logs are recomended and you get the option of burning coal. They have a magnetic thermostat for adjustments.
The Shenandoah stoves are nice but they can be wood hogs. The R-65 is too much stove for 500 sqft, its recommended 1500 minimum. I would need at least 1000 to run properly IMO.

It has a loft at each end and open in the middle. It's very roomy for it's size (12'x32').
That's great!

My hunting cabin has a 16'x22' common area with two 8'x8' bedrooms off the side. I would have built a higher ceiling to do a partial loft like that but we were working with an existing roofline that was covering the trailer house that was originally our hunting outpost.

I've sung the praises of my Lopi Answer several times so I won't go into a big song and dance this time. It's a nice little tank.

Are these bed rooms on the second floor located above any main areas in the house that you could put a stove in. When I lived in my old house it was 100 years old. And has circular vents in the floor that I could open when I went up to my room. So I could let the wood stove run all night and the heat would rise up through the floor vents. It worked pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shenandoah stoves are nice but they can be wood hogs. The R-65 is too much stove for 500 sqft, its recommended 1500 minimum. I would need at least 1000 to run properly IMO.

Yeah mine uses the wood for sure. I'm sort of limited on stove choices due to the configuration of my basement and chimney.

Yeah mine uses the wood for sure. I'm sort of limited on stove choices due to the configuration of my basement and chimney.
I heatmy whole house with my Shenandoah from the basement. It's a ranch with full walkout basement. House was constructed in mid 90's. I burn about 7 full cords.

Latest posts

Back