Small stove what's recommended?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my friends installed in his cabin a caboose stove that was used by the railroad to heat a caboose. He says it's fabulous--more heat than he ever expected. Only drawback is that the maximum log length is 14".
th

That is awesome, I'd live with shorter logs!
Dave6390 in WI

He buys his wood from me every year. What I do is save every short round I can that's 10" to 14" in length and throw them into a separate pile. I usually collect enough of them because these shorties always seem to pop up while I cut the rest of the logs longer for fireplaces and stoves that can handle them. For example, if I run into a 47" length, I cut two rounds at 18" and one at 11". I save the short round to make logs for his caboose stove.

That way I waste practically nothing.

Why not install louvers in the bedroom doors to let air circulate while the kids still enjoy their privacy?

I run a little Jotul 602-cb in the living room. I love to sit and keep it fed on a cold day. It's a "frequent feeder" and won't last the night by a far stretch. Typical 2-3 hr of productive heat and coals for about another hour it you fill it with hard wood. Feed it quality wood and you'll be surprised with its efficiency. NOT what I'd want for a primary heat source unless I liked the cold. My house is 1920's home w/ 1800 sq ft and I can shave about $50-100 off my utility bills in the winter.

Just a side note for small stove owners. Getting shorties to feed them may not be as tough as you think. Many sawmills have left over chunks of hardwood that are almost unusable except for shredding into chips. These are usually less than 14" long and the same cross section as a railroad tie, easy to split into halves or thirds, perfect for fueling a small stove.

A sawmill owner recently offered to sell a whole pickup truckload to me for $50, about 600 blocks. I have two small stove customers I will likely pass along the fuel to--that is, of course, if I can talk LOML into letting them go out the door. She thinks they might work OK in our stove. Two chunks loaded end on end would fit rather nicely.

Another thought would be a smaller pellet stove or two. They'd be a lot easier t control and feed. Not to mention being thermostatically controlled, they'd be a lot safer to operate in smaller spaces. A 40lb bag should last each one a decent bit of time.

It really depends on the stove, heat demands, quality of pellets and quality of the stove. From the demands you're describing with decent pellets probably a 40lb bag for each every couple of days to every week? I know a few people with pellet stoves and am considering getting one as a supplemental area heater as their mileage isn't bad, but like you pointed out, you'd have to pay for the pellets where you have free access to wood so your mileage may vary.

For a small space or as a supplement heat pellets may work. I hate thinking of power loss for a backup heat source. I've never seen a pellet stove that didn't have feed augers or combustion blowers. A few old friends back in ski country like these for their tiny cabins. Keep a couple big bags of pellets around and hit a switch when they walk in the door.

If it wasn't for my Jotul 602 I'd go vent free gas with a simple wall unit as backup heat. Standing pilot and no electricity needed.

If all you're worried about is taking the chill off the bedrooms at night, buy an electric blanket. My daughter says it was the best gift I've ever gotten her. If she had a long enough extension cord she'd stay tethered 24/7 till spring time. Here soon we will break out the ceramic space heaters for 2-bedrooms. On their lowest setting they keep the bedrooms nice while the main house T-stat is programmed low at night. Of course electricity has its own issues. I use the compressor to blow the dust out of the heaters 2-3 time and in an old house with old wiring understanding power load critical for safety.

I have a Jotul 602 in my 650sf un-insulated shop. Heats nicely for such a little fella. Also heat my house with a small Dovre when we're home. I have standing pilot gas floor heaters that back up the woodstove and a lopi sweet dreams standing pilot gas stove in the kitchen. No worries about power outages and being tethered to buying pellets. I like cutting firewood and have an endless supply of wood anyways. We also have a new forced air furnace that hasn't been used in years-hate the noise of the thing when it's running and can't imagine relying on that like so many do to heat the house.
A few years ago we had a cold snap with below zero temps for several days. The natural gas demand was so high they thought the mains might go down-couldn't find a space heater for sale anywhere. Thru it all we had plenty of wood and the stove was crankin'. It was a nice feeling not having to worry when there were outages here and there. That's cold for new mexico

Not what you'd expect from a die hard wood burning guy but If I just wanted to heat a bedroom or area 500-800 sq I'd look at the newer infrared electric heaters . They are easy on electric and offer exact temperature settings with no mess or chimney to deal with . We have a dr heater brand with the high output 7" internal fan . It was 149$ ..For times when it's not ideal to fire up the wood burner this unit will work amazing . You can stand 10-15 from it and feel the warm air rushing into the room . I can comfortably heat 1,000 sq ft of upstairs living area down to about 30 before it starts to struggle to maintain its setting of 70. And it regulates itself to 1 degree and goes into energy efficient mode .. so your not waking up sweating to a 85 degree room in middle of night

Latest posts

Back