084 oil weirdness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So try a different glue, if we were talking about retiling the nose on a space shuttle that'd be one thing, but this definitely isn't rocket science.

Okay, point taken, but I've seen the price of these things from Stihl and personally I'd be happy to play around a bit before biting the bullet.

Okay, point taken, but I've seen the price of these things from Stihl and personally I'd be happy to play around a bit before biting the bullet.
I agree 100%, if you have a foil tape that has stood the heat cycles that stumping puts into 90cc saws .................... please put up a link for me cause I have played around long enough and am willing to spend a little now to make sure I dont have to try out something else

or strip it as much as you can. just get the mechanic to split and fit gasket. might as well throw new bearings and seals in at the same time.
every 084 i play with gets a fresh foil for under muffler and handle.

Well, now you guys have done it to me again. I just restored an 084 that starts and runs perfectly. I have no choice but to put it back on the bench, remove the muffler, and add heat resistant tape as shown in the Pic.

One thing I like about these heavyweights. I just put on a 30" bar, add a sharp chain, start and place on top of a big log, and let the big dog eat. They never complain and get the job done.

OK, so, after all this, I have more questions.

I took it into my Stihl shop and they don't have the right plate and bushings to pull the case apart (it was a blown crankcase gasket, or appears to be, as blsnelling predicted).

So, they can't easily pull it apart, and the parts they need to do so would apparently have to be ordered from the factory and would cost an arm and a leg. However, the mechanic (who used to be an aircraft mechanic, so I give him some credit) suggested that we might try cleaning the inside of the case out really well and trying some sloshing compound on it. I've been thinking about this, and I am almost game to try it. After all, if it doesn't work, I can still always crack the case and replace the gasket anyway - don't think an inner layer of sloshing compound would hurt that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do I have other options I should consider? (For example, does someone have a spare set of the parts I would need to have them crack the case for cheap(ish)?) Should I send it to one of you fine fellows to fix for me? I got a hell of a deal on this saw (bought it as a parts saw, initially, but it turned out to be in far too good a shape to use that way) so I have some wiggle room and would like to fix it.

Is there any reason (and I'm thinking heat, here) that sloshing compound won't work? Also, obviously I, too, am going to need some of that foil tape, so if anyone has a better solution on that, please let me know.

Lastly, I'm going to need a new back-half of my muffler. Anyone got one they want to sell?

Sorry. I know that's a lot of questions.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for everything already answered.

if that was my saw i would be sending it to someone to split it and change the bearings and seals along with the gasket needed. you can use a brass hammer and knock them apart but you have to know what yr doing.

whats wrong with the current muffler? got pics?
PM brad or randy.. they arent too far from you. strip it to the basics.. clean it!! and post it :)

There's a few members here that could easily split the case for you and install the new gasket along with some anaerobic compound and new bearings (might as well go for new bearings while you've got the case apart.) The MS-880 PTO side bearing ($45 or so at the dealer) is the replacement for the clutch side and the flywheel side is a standard 6203 bearing. I would offer to do it as I've done 14 or 15 084 cases (and have three more complete saws to do for myself) but right now I don't have the time.

If doing the sloshing compound- the main issues there are going to be plugging up the oil tank vent and whether or not your compound can handle the heat exposure from the muffler.

if that was my saw i would be sending it to someone to split it and change the bearings and seals along with the gasket needed. you can use a brass hammer and knock them apart but you have to know what yr doing.

whats wrong with the current muffler? got pics?
PM brad or randy.. they arent too far from you. strip it to the basics.. clean it!! and post it :)

I didn't see the muffler but my mechanic said the back half was coming apart. I'll have to look into it. I'm not against your prescription, just didn't know where to send it. I'll PM the people you suggested - thanks!

There's a few members here that could easily split the case for you and install the new gasket along with some anaerobic compound and new bearings (might as well go for new bearings while you've got the case apart.) The MS-880 PTO side bearing ($45 or so at the dealer) is the replacement for the clutch side and the flywheel side is a standard 6203 bearing. I would offer to do it as I've done 14 or 15 084 cases (and have three more complete saws to do for myself) but right now I don't have the time.

If doing the sloshing compound- the main issues there are going to be plugging up the oil tank vent and whether or not your compound can handle the heat exposure from the muffler.

I mean, I think the saw is worth the work. It had a broken jug because (it looked like to me) someone had over-tightened the decomp valve. I stole it on ebay for $275 or something. When a local guy I use for some work took it apart so I could send the jug to srcarr52 to rebuild it for me (a job he did AMAZINGLY well, btw - can't recommend him enough) the local guy said that it looked to him like the saw had really not seen much use; he felt like the inside of the cylinder and piston were in great shape. I don't know if that job would have required splitting the case (guessing not).

So, frankly, I've got maybe 400-500 in the thing at this point. Given the shape it's in, I still think it's very worth fixing rather than parting out. I don't mind having the job done right and I have done auto-repair and other mechanical work before - just don't really have a place to do it at present. So, I'll get into contact with the members you suggested and see what they say. Thanks for all the advice.

So, for what it's worth, I used a tank sealer and it seems to be working for the moment (I haven't actually run the saw full out in use yet - still looking for foil). I figure I'll use it this way a while and if it gives again then I'll have it split and the gasket replaced.

Thanks for all the help. If anyone has a great foil solution (may just try 066 foil) please let me know.

Latest posts

Back