Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, a friend overheard me talking about my new Dirty Hand Tools Splitter and said that he had some wood that needed split. Okay.... I'm not so anxious to lend out the only new splitter that I have ever owned but that wasn't what he wanted anyway. Could we split the wood while he was at work and take half of what we split home with us? Sure, we'd be glad to help you out.

It was stacked in rounds and ready for us when we got there. But wait, there's more. There are a couple of other trees that he had had dropped but we can have all of that wood. Yes, I believe I will.

Those trees had been dropped but not otherwise touched. That's okay, one of my son's favorite things to do in the whole wide world is to saw nice logs into rounds.

Happy scrounging.

Attachments

• Here-to-there.jpg
    Here-to-there.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Happy-Place.jpg
    Happy-Place.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Make-Rounds.jpg
    Make-Rounds.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 50
So, a friend overheard me talking about my new Dirty Hand Tools Splitter and said that he had some wood that needed split. Okay.... I'm not so anxious to lend out the only new splitter that I have ever owned but that wasn't what he wanted anyway. Could we split the wood while he was at work and take half of what we split home with us? Sure, we'd be glad to help you out.

It was stacked in rounds and ready for us when we got there. But wait, there's more. There are a couple of other trees that he had had dropped but we can have all of that wood. Yes, I believe I will.

Those trees had been dropped but not otherwise touched. That's okay, one of my son's favorite things to do in the whole wide world is to saw nice logs into rounds.

Happy scrounging.

That's a great score!

Ohhh man your wife found Pinterest. Mine found that a while ago and spends hours looking at it. Then brings me all of these crazy remodeling projects, like bookshelves with hidden storage behind them and stuff that is way out of my league as a DIYer like sheds with 18/1 pitch roofs and several reverse gables or massive house additions that I might be able to do but would take forever. Good luck wood nazi pinterest + wife = very busy husband.

Happy scrounging.
Nice...a big, fat You Suck score there. Good for ya.

The threads within the thread is how we kept the scrounging thread going for 11563+ posts. We talk about just about everything from beer, wine, spirits, hunting, fishing, maple syrup, health and fitness, and anything else you can think of and sometimes firewood. Hunting season will be over soon and back to our regularly scheduled randomness.

I'm headed out hunting for the next 4 days but I'm also hoping to bring back a trailer load of wood I can burn this year. I'm pretty much out of the poplar and old oak I had. What I've brought home lately just isn't ready to burn. Must be red/piss oak because man does it smell. Seems super wet and I'm just hoping it dries enough to burn when the real cold starts around here. I know there is a big pine that has been hanging around. We cut about 10ft out of it as it was laying across a trail back to one of our stands. the rest is stll up in the air at least 3 years now. I'm hoping even in log form it's dry enough to burn once split. I will have to see what else is down up there. Hard to find dead standing this time of year with no leaves.

Good luck crazywolf. If you need to help dry wood out bring it in a week or 2 before you intend to burn it and keep it by the stove. The heat will help dry it. That is assuming you have the space to do this

Last year Thanksgiving is when I put meat in the freezer. The rut is going good this year but the acorns are not as plentiful so the deer are spending more time in the neighbors soy bean fields. Hopefully some good walks in front of me. Not the little 4pt bucks just starting to grow LOL.

Space is definitely tight near the stove. Might not be as tight as I think I just worry about wood getting too hot or stray embers.

Well you (presumably) aren't driving with it fully loaded 24/7, so (personally) I would not worry about handling. Any vehicle will handle differently when loaded, however if your suspension is too soft and living way too far into it's travel, the vehicle will handle terribly. IF you have stiffer springs, when loaded the vehicle will handle like it should as the suspension wont be excessively compressed. When unloaded is when the helper spring vs add a leaf comes into play- helper springs are only "utilized" when the stock springs are loaded to capacity. Adding an extra leaf will stiffen then entire spring pack, so sure- when unloaded, the rear end will be a bit stiffer, and will sit up a bit higher (less static sag).

Regarding your brakes...as long as you drive safely, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't overheat them going down hills, leave plenty of room and brake wisely and you will be just fine. Try to drive like Mario Andretti when you have a cord of wood in the truck, and you'll have a bad time for sure.

Yep, true. Another reason I keep flip flopping between diesel 3/4-1 ton and gas 1/2 ton is the fact I'll probably only haul firewood once a week at best. Another reason is just due to my indecisiveness lol.

I live in pretty flat country so there's really no hills to speak of.

Sounds to me like a 1/2ton with some helpers would be right up your alley.

Or get a nice Tacoma or Frontier and throw helpers/add a leaf in like me and enjoy a real nice truck that gets good mileage, is reliable and widely available with a standard trans [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic here, has anyone seen any good wood cutting / outdoor related black friday deals?
Have to be careful promoting non-sponsors on this site. But if you watch the ads for the home centers and farm stores (depending on what you have in your neck of the woods). I have seen:
- 'Roughneck' (511A knock-off) chain grinder for $99.99;
- 50.2cc reconditioned Husqvarna chainsaw (450?) for $239.99;
- Poulan 'Predator' (?) 42cc, 18" chainsaw for $99;
- Poulan 'Predator' (?) 42cc, 18" chainsaw for $89.99;
- 'Forest King', 30 ton, hydraulic log splitter for $799
- SpeeCo 22 ton, hydraulic log splitter for $899;

And the potential 'biggie':
"November 27 and November 28th
During Husqvarna’s Black Friday and Small Business Saturday sales event you’ll save 20% on Husqvarna products valued at $1000 MSRP or less.
Engineered and tested in the toughest environments, Husqvarna products are powerful, ergonomic and packed with innovation, so no matter what challenge you’re up against, you’re always ready.*
Also, be sure to visit the 2015 Holiday Accessory Gift Guide for gift ideas that are sure to delight your loved ones.
*Limited Quantities. Visit your local Husqvarna dealer for more details and product availability. Cannot be combined with any other offer."

You can Google '(store name) Black Friday 2015' to check individual store ads, or look for one of the 'Black Friday' websites to peruse ad scans for many stores.

Happy hunting!

Philbert

Sounds to me like a 1/2ton with some helpers would be right up your alley.

Or get a nice Tacoma or Frontier and throw helpers/add a leaf in like me and enjoy a real nice truck that gets good mileage, is reliable and widely available with a standard trans [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was originally thinking about the Frontier or Taco. With a V6 engine though their gas mileage sucks! It's pretty close to the Chevy 5.3l. At that point I may as well buy the larger truck.

I have a Tacoma with the V6 4x4 4 door cab, a cap on the back and AT tires. I get 20 maybe 21 highway and 16-18 around town. Not much there to get excited about especially when you consider that I only have a 5ft bed. I would have gotten a tundra since it was cheaper used then the used Tacoma but the tundra wouldn't fit in the driveway of the duplex I was renting at the time.

I was originally thinking about the Frontier or Taco. With a V6 engine though their gas mileage sucks! It's pretty close to the Chevy 5.3l. At that point I may as well buy the larger truck.
Better to have more truck than you think you'll need in my mind. Kind of like a firearm. Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around. Plus, you'll typically get more life out a diesel powered truck than you will a gasoline engine. Of course that only works if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time. I typically grow bored of a vehicle after about three years.

Latest posts

Back