Timberwolf vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this??

I think I like it.

EDIT: I think though that if I was looking for a splitter of this category, I would want to tow from the other end. Maybe. If you leave a tow vehicle hooked while you split, like an ATV to move it around the yard easy, it might get buried. Depends on your situation I guess.

I beg to differ. There are a lot of parts, fittings, and such and it all adds up. I just had mine made earlier this year and we'll there's a lot of parts!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Yes there's more parts than most would think, but I've priced a lot of that stuff and the smaller cylinders are not very expensive, add a couple valves, hoses and a little more metal and fab and you are a long ways from 7500. I'm sure building your own doesn't work for most but I have access to a cnc machine and a laser along with 3d software to design it.

I think I like it.

EDIT: I think though that if I was looking for a splitter of this category, I would want to tow from the other end. Maybe. If you leave a tow vehicle hooked while you split, like an ATV to move it around the yard easy, it might get buried. Depends on your situation I guess.

You know we thought about that.....and we were going on the assumption that it would be neat if you could lift the out feed table up......put down the tail gate on your truck from which you are pulling the splitter, then put the outfeed table back down so that it feeds the split logs right into the back of the truck. Get the picture?

Does the table fold up or is jackknifing not an issue? Looks like there would possibly be a potential.

Yes, I get that picture. That would be one of those situation-depending factors. :)

Another one might be where you back a conveyor under the outfeed & load right into a truck box.

EDIT: I think though that if I was looking for a splitter of this category, I would want to tow from the other end. Maybe. If you leave a tow vehicle hooked while you split, like an ATV to move it around the yard easy, it might get buried.

NSMaple1 is exactly right.

@DHT

The coupling has to be opposite the wedge on a commercial splitter. I do 50 to 60 cord a year and can't imagine what a pain in the butt it would be to have to constantly uncouple, work, move a pile of splits and re-couple the hitch whenever I move the splitter. With my TW2-HD I leave the splitter attached to the tractor, lock the brakes, put the bucket down and I can split 1-1/2 cord without moving by having the splitter keep pushing the pile back. With your design the splitter will just keep backing away instead of pushing up a pile. When finished, I don't know about you, but after splitting 1-1/2 cord the last thing I want to do is move the pile just so I can get my splitter freed up enough to hook up and go home. Now I just hop on the tractor, drive away, put the table grate on the rail for transport and away I go. I've even become too lazy to deal with the under rail foot support. I just find the right length split, put it under the rail and push down with the tractor's three point hitch hydraulics.

American offers a reverse hitch option on most of their line just for this reason.

Take Care

You know we thought about that.....and we were going on the assumption that it would be neat if you could lift the out feed table up......put down the tail gate on your truck from which you are pulling the splitter, then put the outfeed table back down so that it feeds the split logs right into the back of the truck. Get the picture?

I also agree with the others... The tongue needs to be on the other end, OR make it so it can be bolted on "either" end!

SR

I agree with the previous posts on hitch placement.
Anyone here with a truck they want to donate for demonstration? We could do a really cool youtube video... Just take anything valuables off the seat before the splits get to it.
With the hitch on that end I won't have to worry about my splitters resale value dropping. Rental yards might not care because they don't really use them. Sounds like DHT has done well up to now with quality and customer service. Good luck with this one too. Maybe a vertical beam like PowerSplit?

I beg to differ. There are a lot of parts, fittings, and such and it all adds up. I just had mine made earlier this year and we'll there's a lot of parts!!

+1...
heres mine100_1798.JPG 100_1799.JPG
I have a little over 5 grand into it and that's just the stuff I bought, I had quite a lot of the steel already, i built all of the tanks, built the axle, paid $100 for a basket case engine, i put around $200 into it for missing/new parts, so $300 engine.
the hoses alone i paid $650 for, and that was discounted over $250 because i know the owner of the hydraulic shop.
prince brand hydraulic components are expensive, barnes pumps are top dollar too...i have 8-900 between the two valves and the pump...
quality components are big money...yeah you can get cheaper components but the quality aint there!

+1...
heres mineView attachment 471298 View attachment 471299
I have a little over 5 grand into it and that's just the stuff I bought, I had quite a lot of the steel already, i built all of the tanks, built the axle, paid $100 for a basket case engine, i put around $200 into it for missing/new parts, so $300 engine.
the hoses alone i paid $650 for, and that was discounted over $250 because i know the owner of the hydraulic shop.
prince brand hydraulic components are expensive, barnes pumps are top dollar too...i have 8-900 between the two valves and the pump...
quality components are big money...yeah you can get cheaper components but the quality aint there!

Very nice build, it appears to be of much better quality than a tw. What size is the pump? Did u fab it yourself?

Very nice build, it appears to be of much better quality than a tw. What size is the pump? Did u fab it yourself?
it has a 28 GPM pump, I did everything except paint it...(FIL painted it as he has a body shop) I wouldnt even want to know what it would have cost me to have it built and the machine work that's into it. like that pump adapter I had to make because no one makes one that would work because the crank shaft was too short due to being made for a specific application... would have cost me $1500+ if I had someone make it for me to my specs, self centering/concentric (pump shaft to crank shaft) with in .002"
or those fabricated stainless perforated I beams used to support the gas tank and hydraulic tank, they were extras from a job at my work, the webs were cut on a water jet, between engineering and me fabbing them, it cost the customer $825 each...(I have 4 of them on this machine). if I figured out what I have into it for labor + parts /material I would guess around $12-14,000 just to break even...but it sure aint worth that, even to me!

quality of components is the same...TW use prince valves, and I believe barnes pumps...and their design is good and heavy.
I like some things better about the TW vs. mine...like their split cylinder with a larger rod (mines only 2 1/2" dia. rod) but its a very high quality cylinder, cost me around $700, one comparable to the one TW uses is around $1000

They are heavier, weight wise, but are lacking in quality and the engineering is poor. I had one, and the longer I had it, the more I hated it. Ended up taking it back and taking a big loss on it.

I would stay far away. You can get a lot better for your hard earned money! The guy is almost impossible to deal with. Tells you what you want to hear and does his own thing.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/timberwolf-vs.290512/page-2#post-5669407

@GM_Grimmy

What exactly were the reasons you took yours back? Aside from personal issues with the owner, what about the splitter didn't meet your expectations?

Oh my, where to start. The baffle in the tank was the wrong way, causing the oil to get hot and not using all of the oil. He didn't get the right engine with the proper recharge circuit, ruining my battery, and then blamed himself for putting the wrong fan on the cooler. The quality of the whole unit was piss poor. It was slapped together and every corner that could be cut, was. I had 2 bolts holding they hydraulic tank on!! The temperature switch turned the fan on at 120 and off at 100, which was completely wrong for the application. And mostly of all, it wouldn't split big pieces. I had a 20" diameter piece of red elm it would stall on and would barely make a dent in the wood. The wedge was way too wide and blunt. Besides that, the customer service was pretty much nonexistent. He told you want you wanted to hear and then forgot about you. For the money I threw down, I expected a quality machine, but all I got was something I felt was slapped together in someone's garage or shed, and was only interested in your buck.

My new one, I've had pieces that it wouldn't send through the wedge, but compared to the Allwood, for every 1 piece that wouldn't go through on my current one, I'd have 15+ that wouldn't go through on the one I have from Allwood. I cut and split 2 loads of red oak last weekend, only about 4 times did the pump kick into the lower stage. I've put more knots and crotches through my current setup and most of the time it doesn't go into the second stage. Build quality is seriously lacking on Allwood. Look around, don't see anyone talking about their Allwood. I've even PMed people about theirs, and they wouldn't reply back. I get other people are experiencing the same thing.

Bought a timberwolf twp1 4 years ago brand new and the mount for the motor broke at the welds and the pump is shot also.
I would look else where, you can spend a lot less money and get the same or better splitter.

I am now seriously considering a AE Metal Works splitter, Timberwolf or SSHD.

I need to go visit Sandhill Crane over the next week or two now that christmas is over. I really want to try a SS type splitter.

When the time comes for me to upgrade, it will be a A&E splitter before a TW, unless I am able to find a good deal on a used TW.

I am now seriously considering a AE Metal Works splitter, Timberwolf or SSHD.

I need to go visit Sandhill Crane over the next week or two now that christmas is over. I really want to try a SS type splitter.

When the time comes for me to upgrade, it will be a A&E splitter before a TW, unless I am able to find a good deal on a used TW.

Hes still got that beast for sale in the Tradin Post. If I could look at myself in the mirror the next morning, Id buy it.

You already have the perfect tractor to run a Timberwolf TW3HD, and it will split as fast or faster than a TW5, but it cost half or less than half the cost.

standard.jpg

They can be bought for about $3500.00, come with a 4-way wedge, and for that money, mine also came with the table grate.

It will push everything through the 4-way!! And I consider mine an absolute BEST BUY!

SR

Back