Timberwolf vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWS-LLC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been using a Speeco 22ton splitter for several years now and it has done me very well. But I'm getting into more and more firewood and selling and I foresee in the next year that this humble little guy won't be able to keep up with my demand.

I'm looking for something with a log lift, and a 4 way wedge. I like the option on the TW splitters that can raise and lower the wedge. I'm also looking for something with a faster cycle time of course.

What other options are out there besides TW?

Granted, my 22 ton splitter so far has been able to split almost everything I've been able to throw at it so far, but I'm guessing that once I put a 4 way wedge on it that that's when I'm going to find my current splitter lacking.

I was looking at the Timberwolf splitters when I found the Rayco LS2526. I love it and it was $2,000.00 less than the comparable TW.

Attachments

• LS2526.jpg
    LS2526.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 158
Most of the time with wood splitters you are buying without the option of trying one. If you want to stop by and run a TW-6 or a SSHD I'm open to that. The TW seems bullet proof and that is a huge selling point, but I think there are better wedge designs out there. If you decide on a TW shop more than one dealer. I think I may have paid too much for mine compared to what others on this site have said they paid. Doesn't sound like the SSHD is what you want but it will put a grin on your face. To answer your question about wood splitter options check out Split Fire. Eding Tractor in Hamilton sells them but does not stock them. A friend bought a three point model and loved it. I saw it but not on the tractor or operating, but it was nicely designed and built. He has since sold the tractor and attachments and moved south.
IMG_1529 (1).jpg IMG_1523.jpg

Most of the time with wood splitters you are buying without the option of trying one. If you want to stop by and run a TW-6 or a SSHD I'm open to that. The TW seems bullet proof and that is a huge selling point, but I think there are better wedge designs out there. If you decide on a TW shop more than one dealer. I think I may have paid too much for mine compared to what others on this site have said they paid. Doesn't sound like the SSHD is what you want but it will put a grin on your face. To answer your question about wood splitter options check out Split Fire. Eding Tractor in Hamilton sells them but does not stock them. A friend bought a three point model and loved it. I saw it but not on the tractor or operating, but it was nicely designed and built. He has since sold the tractor and attachments and moved south.
View attachment 470291 View attachment 470292

I may take you up on that.

Eding is right around the corner from me, I stop in there quite often. A buddy of mine is their main mechanic there.

Where is the closest TW dealer?

don't forget tw is a sponsor of this site some ppl will tend to steer you towards the tw perhaps for personal gain. maybe... cant say for sure.:innocent:

Here you go:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-commercial-size-log-splitter.287747/

I've had a competitor of TW and I hated it. I ended up taking it back and had Alex build me one. Here are some pics of the one he built for me, the blue one: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...es-a-few-splitters-ive-built-recently.287746/

The quality of Alex's work is like no other splitter on the market! If you are going to spend the money, get something with quality built into it. I've seen a TW5 in person and well it was built better than Allwood, but not even close to the quality of Alex's splitters. You can PM me for more info on mine if you wish. :)

don't forget tw is a sponsor of this site some ppl will tend to steer you towards the tw perhaps for personal gain. maybe... cant say for sure.:innocent:
Ppl? I do not know what that stands for. No personal gain here from Timberwolf, any dealer, or anyone else. There is a list of things I like about the TW-6, and a list of things I don't care for. They build a great splitter that sells. But it doesn't hit the bullseye for everyone. I choose TW through a process of elimination based heavily by people on this site who had bad experiences purchasing from other smaller builders. I also bought a SuperSplit based on Arboristsite member comments.
Just looked and read some of the threads GM_Grimmy posted. I'd love to run that machine. I like the wedge design much better. I do not think I would like that log lift. I operate the machine by myself, and when using the log lift, I load and operate from that side. That lift appears too large for that, not leaving room for the operater. Note: Timberwolf's manual says the operator station is on the engine side, not the lift side.
As with any splitter, you will either have to adapt to the splitter, or have a splitter built around how you work. If I was to do it again, I'd spend a little pocket money and drive to Iowa, try their splitter, and see what A.E. Metal Werx could build for me. I would also search out someone with a Split Fire bi-directional four-way with log lift to try out, and for a lot less than the TW. I think they can run less horse power because the wedge is more efficient. Might not work with a conveyor as well. Again, the opportunity to try it first might dispel that thought. I would also take another look at Tempest.
You should remember, doing firewood is a process, and splitting is just a piece of it, of how you work. Money may be better spent on a tractor, skid steer, a dump truck, or dump trailer, small processor, etc. About 75% or more of what I split is on a SuperSplit, which means the Timberwolf is resting in the garage.

I was looking at the Timberwolf splitters when I found the Rayco LS2526. I love it and it was $2,000.00 less than the comparable TW.
Before I got my splitter, I rented a Rayco just like you pictured 2 or 3 times. I don't remember it as being particularly fast, but it was built like a tank. They make nice stump grinders too.

BTW Sandhill, ppl is internet for people.

built-rite is another option I ran. It has an optional CAT-diesel motor option and a hideaway 4-way. only machine I considered other then my TW-6.
Take Sandhill up on his offer. I have a SS as well and together they are pure splitting awesomeness.

No affiliation with TW or SS but will happily recommend either depending on what wood supply will be.

BWS-llc it will help us if you let us know what other equipment you have and what your wood will be like. as well as the landing area. will you be able to transport/haul/move machine to piles or will piles come to you. It really helps to spend a day on a few different splitters to know what you DON'T want to live with once its home.

View attachment 470291 View attachment 470292

Sandhill did you ever replace the valve with the full 2 way ( 2 knobber old school version) auto-cycle one yet?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...O-CYCLE-LOG-SPLITTER-VALVE-W-PB-9-6587-PB.axd

Yer missing out on the full experience w/o one like the new models come. $325 delivered to your door .

just for Chits and Grins...go find out what the resale value is on a TW-5/6 too. they are like gold on the used market holding remarkable resale value. I hear of guys buying new ones every two years and getting like a 80% return, depreciation wise that's a homerun.
Yea you will overpay for it up front...but you'll get it back when you sell and get the new one.

NO personal gain for me, but I have to say, my Timberwolf 3HD is top quality and well thought out. It's fast enough and EVERYTHING I get up on the beam goes right through the 4-way, no exceptions!

SR

built-rite is another option I ran. It has an optional CAT-diesel motor option and a hideaway 4-way. only machine I considered other then my TW-6.
Take Sandhill up on his offer. I have a SS as well and together they are pure splitting awesomeness.

No affiliation with TW or SS but will happily recommend either depending on what wood supply will be.

BWS-llc it will help us if you let us know what other equipment you have and what your wood will be like. as well as the landing area. will you be able to transport/haul/move machine to piles or will piles come to you. It really helps to spend a day on a few different splitters to know what you DON'T want to live with once its home.

I have a older Massey for a tractor. No auxiliary hydraulics.

My wood lot is a large field. What I do now is dump my wood near where I stack it.

Right now my primary wood is ash, hard maple, cherry, oak and locust.

I stopped in at a my local dealer over lunch, they are a TW dealer and Split-Fire dealer.
He was pushing me to a Split-Fire on a 3pt to bypass the need for a log lift. Which in theory seems like a good idea.... But I'd have to put a PTO pump on my tractor.

Once Christmas is over and if this weather continues to stay like it is (no cold or snow). I'll have to catch up with Sandhill seeing he's only a few miles away.

Since when is Timberwolf a sponsor of this site?
my mistake. I've had the ads blocked for so long I thought they were still a sponsor... on another note, but along the same lines, timberwolf wood stoves (different company) used to be a sponsor here many years ago. someone posted about them and everyone gave them rave reviews in the thread I'm posting. even though they were clearly junk. they have since gone out of business. http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...mberwolf-furnace-co.83415/page-3#post-3313760

He was pushing me to a Split-Fire on a 3pt to bypass the need for a log lift. Which in theory seems like a good idea.... But I'd have to put a PTO pump on my tractor.

All depends on your operation and what you get and such, but a log lift is a must for me. I have chronic lower back pain and picking up those heavy chunks to get on the beam will kill me in less than an hour! Running a heavy saw will do the same thing too, if I do it too long. When not using the lift, it's a staging table to hold several rounds. I've always said once you have one, you'll never split without one again.

I have a tw-6. Near as I can tell, my machine is 11 years old. I'm the second owner and paid 5K for it 7 years ago. This year was the first time I've had to sink any major money into it outside of replacing the battery and a the usual filters/oil. Had to have the cylinder rebuilt as it was leaking really bad. This machine will keep 3 guys hustling no problem. Like others have stated, the wedge design isn't the greatest/most efficient. The disappearing 4 way like on the built-rite would be the only thing I'd change. Adding some feet to the bottom of the outfeed table might be a bonus if you aren't going into a conveyor or having someone else move the pile away. The auto cycle, if you can still get it, is a must. Don't waste time or money on the 6 way. The main wedge is just to wide and all it does is make kindling and pieces you have to run through again.

So what I'm hearing, a TW-6 may be overkill for me doing the splitting on my own and not having a conveyor to take the wood away?

Latest posts

Back