Husqvarna 445 - Right saw choice? Other ?s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
490 is $300 with an 18" bar
I appreciate all the replies and feedback. Certainly learned a lot, I have no idea that Jonsered and Husky were the same company.

I guess I'm still on the fence.

The Husky 445 is 10.8 pounds and the 450 is 11.25, so there is a weight difference and the 450 would bring me over the 11 pound line, so I'm really not wanting to go there. I get that more power is more power, but as I get older, I just want the absolute minimum weight that gets the job done and I feel like all feedback says the 445 will be more than enough get it done for me.

Now what I was not expecting is the number of recommendations for an Echo. In looking at Echo's offerings, I see I can get into a 50 CC Echo saw, either the 490 or 500P, both at 10.6 pounds and still be lighter then Husky's 45 CC saw. Dang! That makes things complicated.

That's a tempting option, but I'm really worried about going off-road with a totally new-to-me brand. I have never used any Echo product. No idea if the're any good. Never been into a dealer that sells Echo, and currently as I said, my brush cutter, 2 chainsaws, leaf blower, and string trimmer ALL come from one dealer that sells and services both Stihl and Husky.

I just don't know if it's worth looking at Echo or if I should just stick with brands I know.

Grouse

the 500P is NLA unless a dealer has one on the shelf and it really isnt worth the premium price over a 490 since they share 90% of components. 490 may be 50cc but it will be about the same power as that 445 husky. the echo saws are dead reliable workhorses but in my eyes and quite a few others they loose points for lower HP than the competition and a slightly less high end feel and look to the overall construction. Even with them not having as nice of fit/finish as the 445 it is a better built saw and worth serious consideration if you are in the market for that weight/size/price saw.

I'm not a "serious" chainsaw user, but I do buy and sell quite a few saws, and recently had a Husqvarna 445. That was a very nice saw. I did not have significant run time with it, but in the limited use that I had, it was impressive to me. Given that you are also not typically a daily chainsaw user, I suspect that the 445 would be a good saw for you.
My go-to saw is an Echo CS400. I ended up selling the 445 and keeping the Echo, but in some ways I liked the Husky 445 better. I ended up keeping the Echo mainly because of external factors. I already have many bars/chains that fit the Echo (3/8 LP & Oregon A041 small Poulan/Craftsman), and already have a chainsaw case that the Echo fits in. The Husky had a .325 bar/chain and the front hand guard/brake lever was too tall to fit in my existing case.
I also recently owned an Echo CS-590. That is also an impressive saw, and it had noticeably more power than the Husky 445. It was also physically larger and about 2 lb heavier than the Husky 445.

"I just don't know if it's worth looking at Echo or if I should just stick with brands I know."

I'm a tried and true Husky fan and own a LOT of them. Even with that said, you are looking at the "lower end" saws that they offer, clam-shell designs and more designed for the homeowner than for Professional use. Certainly nothing wrong with the smaller department store Husqvarna 434, 440, 445, etc, but when you start paying over $300 for one of them, I'd quickly look at spending just a little more and getting a LOT more saw, especially when you can get a CS-590 for about $350-360 shipped to your door....just sayin......Cliff

Certainly nothing wrong with the smaller department store Husqvarna 434, 440, 445, etc, but when you start paying over $300 for one of them, I'd quickly look at spending just a little more and getting a LOT more saw, especially when you can get a CS-590 for about $350-360 shipped to your door....just sayin......Cliff

I don't doubt that there's the ability move up the line and get more saw, but when you start talking about a saw like the CS590, that's WAY more weight than I want. That's just short of a 13 pound dry weight, so we just tacked on an extra 2.5 pounds here over the weight of the 445. Almost 25% more weight. I'm not doubting that you get something in return, I'm just wondering if that "more" is something I even need or for that matter will ever use? And against that possible lack of need for "more", I'm lugging around 25% more weight.

I know nobody wants to be the un-cool kid using a lame-o saw with the "Homeowner" label plastered on the side, but honestly given my needs for 5-6 tanks of gas a month through the saw on average, aren't my needs really in the homeowner saw category?

Sure, I need more than the average suburb guy who cuts up a few branches once a year, but I've been running 2-5 gallons of fuel through "homeowner" saws like a Husky 136 and a Sthil 021 for the over 15 years now. Other than wearing out bars, replacing drive sprockets, and the occasional oil pump, I've had no issues with these two saws. Compression is still good on both, they both run well, etc. I just put 5 tanks of fuel and dulled out 2 chains on the 136 last weekend.

What I guess I'm saying is that I'm not exactly wearing out saws that are designed for homeowner use, so I guess I'm asking do my needs really scream to you guys that I should be stepping up to a pro-sumer or pro grade saw? Maybe things have gone in the toilet with these lower level saws and I'm just blind to it?

Grouse

The 445 is a damn nice saw. My son in law has ran the daylights out of his with an 18" bar on it and has had zero issues.
To me it's a very smooth running saw that sips gas.

The CS-590 is one helluva saw for the money...but if your weight limitation is where it is, definitely go with something in the 10-11lb range. I'd go as planned on the 445, or for roughly the same money, a CS-490...or for a little more coin, the Husky 545...be done with it and don't look back. Nothin' wrong with any of these choices for your needs. As long as you take care of the saw...fresh gas, good mix, air filter cleanings, sharp chains...it'll be there for ya.

The 445 is a damn nice saw. My son in law has ran the daylights out of his with an 18" bar on it and has had zero issues.
To me it's a very smooth running saw that sips gas.
I've ran the piss outta my 445 with an 18" setup...has never missed a beat. Have to check the purchase/warranty paperwork but I think it'll be four yrs old shortly. I've replaced nothing on it, knock on wood, as of yet.

I know I am going to agitate the discussion again, but my personal favorit by FAR for the average joe homeowner who cuts some firewood, is the Dolmar 421. Price around 300$. It is in my eyes one of the best buys out there.

I'd go as planned on the 445, or for roughly the same money, a CS-490...or for a little more coin, the Husky 545...be done with it and don't look back. Nothin' wrong with any of these choices for your needs. As long as you take care of the saw...fresh gas, good mix, air filter cleanings, sharp chains...it'll be there for ya.

Good feedback, thanks. I have asked 2 places about getting a 545 and maybe it's just where I live, but both dealers said, essentially, they can order one but nobody seems to carry them. Is that a hot seller or something? Maybe I was being quoted "worst case" but both said 3-6 weeks to order one right now. Maybe that's just worst case, but spending more to wait longer isn't really going to work. I know I could mail order, but that makes me nervous on a saw because I've heard bad things about people getting the cold shoulder on bricks/mortar dealer support after they mail ordered to save a few bucks over buying locally.

I know I am going to agitate the discussion again, but my personal favorit by FAR for the average joe homeowner who cuts some firewood, is the Dolmar 421. Price around 300$. It is in my eyes one of the best buys out there.

Good recommendation, appreciate it. Problem with Dolmar that I see is 1) just getting the saw, and 2) no dealer support anywhere near me. Maybe some dealers carry these on a "order only" basis, but the 800 pound gorillas are Husky and Stihl and to a slightly lesser extent, Echo. After that, things really drop off in terms of numbers of dealers and overall support. If I break a Dolmar, afaik, it's at least a 50 mile drive round trip to the nearest dealer that I know about anyway. Not saying that this would ever come into play, but it puts me on edge because that'd basically be 5X the hassle factor of a Husky.

Grouse

Good feedback, thanks. I have asked 2 places about getting a 545 and maybe it's just where I live, but both dealers said, essentially, they can order one but nobody seems to carry them. Is that a hot seller or something? Maybe I was being quoted "worst case" but both said 3-6 weeks to order one right now. Maybe that's just worst case, but spending more to wait longer isn't really going to work. I know I could mail order, but that makes me nervous on a saw because I've heard bad things about people getting the cold shoulder on bricks/mortar dealer support after they mail ordered to save a few bucks over buying locally.

Good recommendation, appreciate it. Problem with Dolmar that I see is 1) just getting the saw, and 2) no dealer support anywhere near me. Maybe some dealers carry these on a "order only" basis, but the 800 pound gorillas are Husky and Stihl and to a slightly lesser extent, Echo. After that, things really drop off in terms of numbers of dealers and overall support. If I break a Dolmar, afaik, it's at least a 50 mile drive round trip to the nearest dealer that I know about anyway. Not saying that this would ever come into play, but it puts me on edge because that'd basically be 5X the hassle factor of a Husky.

Grouse
Don't own one but I've ran a couple of 545's after the owners have ran several tanks of gas through them...they're good running saws. If they can't get you one any quicker, jump on a 445 if they have'em there. I would run it by your local dealer as well, that if you purchase online, you bring the saw there still in the box, pay/have them set it up/gas it up...see if they'll have any problems handing the warranty work. It would certainly be worth a few outta pocket dollars for his time/fuel, and a try. You might feel like a turd in a punch bowl asking, hell it's worth a shot. He's either gonna say yea or nea. If you order a saw online, most are free ship, it'll be at your door in 4-5 days at the most. Little food for thought.

Grouse
I understand you completely! The fear of having your equipment break at the worst possible time is a classic of "murphy's law"!

Personally, in my experience I have needed guarenty exactly once in my life and of course you guessed correctly it was with my Dolmar 420. The ignition module was defective when unboxing. Ouch, that really is a turn away argument for you, ain't it? Well funny thing, dispite that it has been flawless! Of course I am in no way in a high volume user like others here with their 421 who have run hundreds of refills through their saw without a problem, but for me it belongs to those almost perfect things out there. The easy start, power, build quality all add up that I would surely take that saw with me into some alaskan hut far away from civilisation. It is very easy on fuel and always behaves like it is one size larger.

What I see in the argument of not having a dealer close by is that it is clearly fear based. That fear is absolutely ok, but I try not to let it control my decisions!

What will happen if your saw fails? Well your cutting trip for the day is over, irrespective of brand. You will require spare parts and that will cost you irrespective of where you live time to collect. How much time is lost also depends very much on your other equipment. Can you substitute with your other equipment to minimize lost time? I.e. instead of cutting larger wood you refocus and cut smaller wood with your other equipment. You sound like you can, so personally I would not be worried one second.

As I mentioned before, I have absolutely nothing against a 445, and if you are confident then buy one, personally when I spend my money and I have a good paid job so I could buy any saw I want, but still I want the most from the cash I put on the table. And when I bought my 420, there was a shoot out of 40cc saws here on AS and the modder doing the review clearly stated that he prefered unmoddified the 420, although a Stihl 241 was also available. That for me clearly stated something. Further I am not only active here but also in german speaking forums in Europe and there the 420/421 is the most recomended model by far for the homeowner/firewood guy.

Why I also recomended a 50cc saw, is the simple fact that I prefer ~20cc between two saws. Why? Because, when closer, they will used both for the same work. That is for me a waste of money.

Back