Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? Easy to split and free so I am taking it, just need to know which stack to put it on. Thanksimage.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Maybe, the bark is smoother than most ash I have seen. Everything else seems like ash. Loggers got it out of there way and left it

Okay. Other poplar trees on site have a darker center. Is this just because of the age? They are bigger trees

I mistakenly cut A LOT of young poplar last November thinking it was young ash like someone else mentioned. It's so dry right now I can (and do) literally light a split with a match to get the stove started. Worth keeping around in my opinion but some guys will say otherwise.

Cutting mostly poplar all winter, it's poplar!
Split it down to kindling size, best fire starter there is.

How heavy is it? Fresh green Tulip / yellow poplar is stupid heavy for it's size, CSS, and by the end of summer I bet it loses 70% of it's weight.

It looks like Poplar, I see a few Poplar leaves on the ground, our neighbor has one not 18' from our driveway, yet it has the "pinhole" on the cut side of the wood in the second picture like Ash does, don't know if Poplar has that or not. Is this all from the same tree?

I guess I will go with basswood. Pretty sure that it is not poplar or ash. Sending it to the shoulder season pile

Back