Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a lot of cutting on Saturday with our little setup of the telehandler and grapple.

I cut 18 loads that the neighbor brought up. His turn around times were less than 5 minutes and I was busting my hump.

As soon as the last cut dropped free he was on his way back to the log yard for a refill. I had just enough time to get pieces thrown out of the way, split or both.

I forgot how much I like semi chisel, it works way better for me cutting hard/frozen wood than full chisel does.

I was meaning for him to get a video. An in cab go pro video of one full run would be neat.

Progress on the splitting project. Been plugging away at it all winter (very open winter here, hardly any snow)

progress1_zpshctg87mx.jpg

Picture of it upthread back in Jan (IIANM) with several unsplit ricks of rounds still waiting. 2 full ricka and the one I am working on come up to 5 cord. I do it all manually with Fiskars and wedge/sledge. Maul hardly ever gets used except as a 'wedge with a handle' to finish out a stubborn split by pouding on it with the 10lb sledge. I don't 'push' it. 1-2 hour a day just to get the old bod woke up.

Scattered chunks are the rejects from the manual splitting. They will go to the splitter and rejects there will be noodled.

burn_zpsrdkusvvl.jpg

The burn spot. I dump cartloads of bark dthat comes off as I split there and burn when the pile gets about 3'x3'x3' - comes out to about every second day. Pile of somwhere around 15 cord unsplit black locust rounds in middle background. 1 cord measured ricks of Willow that is alreay spoken for delivery this summer in the background
Just a corner of a pile containing 12-15 cord of split black locust at left corner of pic.

:muscle::muscle::muscle:
Progress on the splitting project. Been plugging away at it all winter (very open winter here, hardly any snow)

progress1_zpshctg87mx.jpg

Picture of it upthread back in Jan (IIANM) with several unsplit ricks of rounds still waiting. 2 full ricka and the one I am working on come up to 5 cord. I do it all manually with Fiskars and wedge/sledge. Maul hardly ever gets used except as a 'wedge with a handle' to finish out a stubborn split by pouding on it with the 10lb sledge. I don't 'push' it. 1-2 hour a day just to get the old bod woke up.

Scattered chunks are the rejects from the manual splitting. They will go to the splitter and rejects there will be noodled.

burn_zpsrdkusvvl.jpg

The burn spot. I dump cartloads of bark dthat comes off as I split there and burn when the pile gets about 3'x3'x3' - comes out to about every second day. Pile of somwhere around 15 cord unsplit black locust rounds in middle background. 1 cord measured ricks of Willow that is alreay spoken for delivery this summer in the background
Just a corner of a pile containing 12-15 cord of split black locust at left corner of pic.
Man your awesome keep at it. It's unbelievable what you do and at your age is absolutely amazing. My grandpappi was the same way. Keep it up. :numberone:

this is what 3 of my splitting areas looks like its been to wet to go out a split it.

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 80
Been a little slow on this forum and I can't take. I like seeing the pics from everyone. I'll post some new pics of the eucalyptus I have to split suppose to rain all weekend so no cutting for me going to try and get this splitt

image.jpg

Picture of my little wood hauler and her little john deere wheel barrow
image.jpg

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG

We finally had some logs delivered this year, 3 loads total so far. Pile on the left is all oak, the other one is all ash,maple, some cherry and hickory. We have about 13 cords of oak stacked up by the shop as well. Thats all been split since the first of the year.

Been a little slow on this forum and I can't take. I like seeing the pics from everyone. I'll post some new pics of the eucalyptus I have to split suppose to rain all weekend so no cutting for me going to try and get this splitt

View attachment 489562

Picture of my little wood hauler and her little john deere wheel barrow
View attachment 489563
Every piece of wood she hauls and stacks for you is one less for you to handle. Gives her a good sense of contributing to the overall welfare of the family. Good for you.:clap:

Finished the manual splitting of that pile of willow rounds a couple hours ago. 3 ricks 32'x6'x16" comes to just short of 6 cords. Now to bring the splitter around and work through those knots/crotches. Rejects there go to be noodled.

finish_zps8keqklpg.jpg

Next comes to finish moving this approx 1.5 cord black locust. It is the oldest in my stacks, around 10 yoa.

to%20move_zpswivf7h8k.jpg

Then continue on splitting these rounds of black locust - some 10-15 cord and stack where the pile to move now is. Used to be a lot more but I have been splitting them off and on for several years. No rush as the drier bl gets, the easier it splits - it splits easy even green though.

to%20be%20split_zpsexdtjcvt.jpg

Unless I live to very old age I'll never burn all bl I have in the stash, especially if I keep augmenting it with willow.

Out to the wood patch in the morning to continue cleanup of all those brush piles I burned during the winter. Only have 6 or 7 left to do. Then begins the felling and working up more trees. I just gots ta make more brush piles so I can have some conflagrations next winter.

I have to slow down my production, did way too much last year, already 2 years ahead on my orders plus my use.

Finished the manual splitting of that pile of willow rounds a couple hours ago. 3 ricks 32'x6'x16" comes to just short of 6 cords. Now to bring the splitter around and work through those knots/crotches. Rejects there go to be noodled.

finish_zps8keqklpg.jpg

Next comes to finish moving this approx 1.5 cord black locust. It is the oldest in my stacks, around 10 yoa.

to%20move_zpswivf7h8k.jpg

Then continue on splitting these rounds of black locust - some 10-15 cord and stack where the pile to move now is. Used to be a lot more but I have been splitting them off and on for several years. No rush as the drier bl gets, the easier it splits - it splits easy even green though.

to%20be%20split_zpsexdtjcvt.jpg

Unless I live to very old age I'll never burn all bl I have in the stash, especially if I keep augmenting it with willow.

Out to the wood patch in the morning to continue cleanup of all those brush piles I burned during the winter. Only have 6 or 7 left to do. Then begins the felling and working up more trees. I just gots ta make more brush piles so I can have some conflagrations next winter.

I have to slow down my production, did way too much last year, already 2 years ahead on my orders plus my use.

That there is kikin boot and takin names Harry! Excellent!

I recently added a small grapple to the front of my JD GT. I'm still refining my use of it. But, rather than split these rounds where they landed and move the pieces to my stacks, I decided to move the rounds to the stack, so I can split them and stack them without the transport.

Ok, maybe I'm rationalizing the grapple, but I couldn't lift these rounds, could have halved them and put them in a cart, or could have split them to size and loaded them in a cart, but this should reduce my round-to-stack time.

Back