New Jotul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My wife wanted a new stove/insert so we got the Jotul. So far really like it. It was a little bit of a learning curve. I was surprised how long a few pieces of Oak lasted. I used to load my Russo up, packed tight, and get a 12 hour burn out of it. This one won't hold as much wood, but burns a lot longer, per the same amount. So far I'm a happy camper, Joe.

`

I hit a button and the keyboard would not respond. My son told me to go get some fiirewood and he would fix it. I got the firewood and he posted the "this is a test" message and hit the submit button. When I got back from getting the wood I edited the "test" out. Good to go now, Joe.

I hit a button and the keyboard would not respond. My son told me to go get some fiirewood and he would fix it. I got the firewood and he posted the "this is a test" message and hit the submit button. When I got back from getting the wood I edited the "test" out. Good to go now, Joe.
Gottcha. That is Nice!

We just put in a Jotul 400CB. Had a 118CB for the last 8 years & love it, but wanted a big window. The 118 will work just fine in the shop for many years. Need to get a photo or two & start a thread I guess. :)

The looks great!!!!

Gotta be a nice feeling that it's going to use less wood.

My wife wanted a new stove/insert so we got the Jotul. So far really like it. It was a little bit of a learning curve. I was surprised how long a few pieces of Oak lasted. I used to load my Russo up, packed tight, and get a 12 hour burn out of it. This one won't hold as much wood, but burns a lot longer, per the same amount. So far I'm a happy camper, Joe.

`

Nice choice.... 550 here.

3AAEDBA9-1CA6-49CD-9351-209FF4C543E6_zpspuvqukmw.jpg

Heres a tip.... When the blower kicks on it will cool the firebox to the point the secondaries shut down. Keep an eye on it, you'll have to give it more air once the blowers kick on.

These are sharp looking stoves. They're built in Scandinavia ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We installed a new Jotul F3 clean burn last month, hands down the best stove I have ever used we love it and it sips firewood the efficiency of this unit combined with how well it works is just fantastic wish we would have done this years ago you really get what you pay for with the Jotul lineup!
F3_zps4ntar07t.jpg

Can you guys buy" Godin "stoves in the US ? to my mind & loads of other people possibly the " Rolls Royce" of wood & multi fuel burners

I'd argue that Blaze King fits that boat. They are hugely popular here in AK because they flat out work. When it's -50* outside you don't want to deal with a stove that only burns for a few hours.

Anyhow, on the Jotul, can it take 16" wood? Seems every order I have for 10 or 12" wood is for a Jotul. Thankfully I might have maybe only 15-20 cords a year that isn't at least 16"

Know what is annoying? The auto uncorrect changes HAVE to gave all the time!

Smaller Jotul models like the 602(CB), F100 and classic "TIKI" #4 eat small logs. With the #4 you could at least stack bigger logs vertical like in a camp fire. The new 602CB has a secondary air plenum that runs up the back and eats nearly an inch off to the firebox depth. I burn a 602CB inserted into the hearth niche. It is a frequent feeder but in Kentucky's moderate climate adequate to supplement heat or standby for power outage. One day maybe my 602CB will relocate to a hunting/fishing cabin and then I'll update the hearth to an F3CB.

Anyhow, on the Jotul, can it take 16" wood? Seems every order I have for 10 or 12" wood is for a Jotul. Thankfully I might have maybe only 15-20 cords a year that isn't at least 16"
Like said, depends on the model. My son's 602 takes 16" wood.
118 here in the shop takes 24" & the new 400 in the house take 20" wood.
All Jotuls. Love em!

If I ever replace my 2462 CDW, it would have to be the F500. Really good looking stove and I like the side door option along with the fact you can empty the ashes without having to let the fire go down and the ashes going all over the house. The only complaint I have with the present stove is, the top doesn't get hot enough to cook on.

I've never heard of jotul? Mine is an old un named model and heats the house just fine. Im not sure if it eats up wood fast or not as i never had to compare it to anything else.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

Smaller Jotul models like the 602(CB), F100 and classic "TIKI" #4 eat small logs. With the #4 you could at least stack bigger logs vertical like in a camp fire. The new 602CB has a secondary air plenum that runs up the back and eats nearly an inch off to the firebox depth. I burn a 602CB inserted into the hearth niche. It is a frequent feeder but in Kentucky's moderate climate adequate to supplement heat or standby for power outage. One day maybe my 602CB will relocate to a hunting/fishing cabin and then I'll update the hearth to an F3CB.
I am surprised at how much wood I can get into our new F3 CB, it's pretty generous for a smaller stove with a load of oak before bedtime I'm waking up to a stove in the 200-250* range with a healthy bed of coals to work with. I empty the ash pan, toss in a few small splits or kindling with larger pieces on top and open the ash door back up for a minute to allow air to flow up under the grate and the stove roars back to life I've never see a stove so easy to get re-started in the morning.

I've had several fireplace stove inserts over the years and this F3 definitely would have been a better choice had I known how easy they are to install with the rear vent option especially with a lowered leg kit available.

I've cut my wood at 18" for years and this one will take 24". I dowbt I'll change the length of the wood. All of my racks and my trailer are marked for 18" wood that makes 1 cord. I'd have to make new racks and remark my trailer, Joe.

I used to have to cut at 15" to fit into the stove. Running the insert took a hit because I wasn't using the firebox to its fullest. You'll also notice this in heat. You'll have to give it more air to get the firebox hot, which means you're burning the wood faster than you need to.

Ive still got a but load of 15" wood to burn, but now that we replaced the stove and it'll take 21" pieces, Ive started cutting everything at 20". It works our better for my storage than 15" did. But I probably wont get into any of it until next year, or the year after if this winter stays as mild as its shaping up to be.

That's the nice thing about a Blaze King, don't need to keep an eye on it. Set it and forget it!

Back