Easier skidding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainemechanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been cutting some firewood off my property, and skidding it with my lawn tractor that I weighted quite heavily in desperate search of (free) traction. Right now I am in the process of making my own bolted rubber tire "chains" and I am going to weight the front of my tractor as well. Traction shouldn't be to much of an issue after that, but I have some bigger trees further out on my property that I cannot currently get out of where they are at.

Any ideas on how to make the logs drag easier without making trips for 2 rounds of firewood? It's very tight woods with lots of small rolling hills so maneuverability it key here! I have cut and cleared 3 trails now on my property but they are still rough and narrow. I'd love to get some of these harder ones out! Lots of good wood and I don't have a wagon or anything!
9a61810a35a2ce092dd27fed84f77986.jpg
ff700423bf8189ef29afd363c307cd11.jpg

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

I've been stuck on damp grass with one of those "tractors" (have to use that term quite loosely!).

If you do much to add traction you will very likely destroy the transaxle.

They are pretty much designed for mowing small fairly flat yards with someone that is 150lbs or less.

Does that one have a tongue to pull a yard cart? Some are so light duty that they don't.

A friend that is in the 350lb area has broken a few of them just from riding over bumps! Rear tires looked like this: /----\ and it broke the transaxle, either where it mounts to the "frame" or the outer ends where it's supposed to hold the axle shafts.

You'd be miles ahead to use an ATV. Even an old 90s 2wd one would be WAY better than that "tractor"

I've been stuck on damp grass with one of those "tractors" (have to use that term quite loosely!).

If you do much to add traction you will very likely destroy the transaxle. They are pretty much designed for mowing fairly flat yards with someone that is 150lbs or less. A friend that is in the 350 area has broken a few of them just from riding over bumps! Rear tires looked like this: /----\
Mine has 102 pounds of plates chained to the rear, 35 pounds of ballast in each tire, and will go just about anywhere it has clearance. It gets quite an impressive amount of traction for turf tires. If you have problems with spinning on your lawn I would highly suggest liquid ballast in the wheels and about 3-5 psi. It will give you about twice the traction, the weight freely gloats in the tire so it is in no way supported or moved by the transaxle, it just presses the footprint in the ground. But when I get my tires bolted it probably won't be able to spin. The transaxle seems fine so far no noises or bending. The stock clutch and belt drive seem to be just limiting enough to keep from detonating the gears in my transaxle as the belt will just slip if it gets worked to hard. But in 1st it's so low the force is so slow I have good control of it.

I'm looking for techniques or items that could make said log easier to pull for any given vehicle. I know lifting the butt will help greatly, but have not been able to find anyone that built a skidder style arch on their lawn tractor, and a tow behind wouldn't work in the very tight woods.
I've thought of building a small dray to put under the butt of a single log.

(I know I could never pull the log in the picture haha)
ae9d863b9b11fad185ff76ea4dd1cb9a.jpg

I don't own one, just work on them from time to time.

I have a 90s 22hp Craftsman garden tractor with 4ft blower for light duty snow removal at the house (I just bring over one of the skids steers or backhoe if it's too much for the little tractor). It's on ATV tires and has about 400lbs of weight on the rear between hanging weights, wheel weights and the tires being filled.
Works ok for my small driveway (like 30ftx85ft)

For mowing I have a Cub Cadet ZTR.

You are asking for a lot from your tractor. I do not know the particulars of that model, but I'd bet the trans is being tasked well beyond the design spec.

Be that as it may, a simple log arch, as already mentioned raises the front of the log and provides an incredible relief on the towing vehicle, be it a GT, an ATV, or I suppose even an LT. I made this one from spare stuff I had around and use it regularly for moving logs. I use it on my GT in the winter when the mower deck is off, but added an ATV to my fleet for year round woods access.

IMG_7655.JPG

I agree with the others here,

You're using a lawn tractor to do garden tractor or ATV work. Invest in a real machine and you'll be fine. What you have is meant for mowing and that's about it. If you are worried about cost, look at GT's from the 70's or early 80's. I'd look for a two speed axle, 23" minimum rear rubber, metal components, 700+ lbs, etc

Get it on wheels. Years ago I built a budget trailer out of lawn tractor parts from a small engine repair shop. $50. or something for a front and rear end. Some 4" x 4"s and bolts, and welded up a tongue. If loaded too high it tips easily, but it would work better than skidding. I used it mostly as a staging table (with wheels) and loaded it quite high. No longer use it much.
0325121056.jpg

I've decided to make a 3x5 sled with small sides since winter is coming right up. I can cut 5-6 foot lengths and pile them on then strap them down. I have already started bolting my tires (bolts sticking out of tread for max traction) and I even considered putting skis on it for fun this winter. I'll snowblow my wood trail if I have to. That tiny arch is pretty cool though! And yes I agree I want to actually get an old bigger tractor that can really do some work and has a 3 point but that will be next year. Or a 4x4 ATV, my dad had a brute force that would pull logs all day

8n

Cheap and will out pull my 4x4 artic cat ALL DAY LONG. No cones needed.

For year I beat the crap out of a Honda ride on mower, I mean beat the thing to death. The quad was a upgrade, but nothing beats that little 8n.

I have been cutting some firewood off my property, and skidding it with my lawn tractor that I weighted quite heavily in desperate search of (free) traction. Right now I am in the process of making my own bolted rubber tire "chains" and I am going to weight the front of my tractor as well. Traction shouldn't be to much of an issue after that, but I have some bigger trees further out on my property that I cannot currently get out of where they are at.
Any ideas on how to make the logs drag easier without making trips for 2 rounds of firewood?
I think you need to UP grade your tractor a little, to like my old Wheel Horse!

standard.jpg

SR

ATV log arch, near you, on craigslist- $275. As stated already, pulling on wheels will be much easier on the "tractor" than dragging.
View attachment 617368

But I do feel your pain. Even at that price, it's probably worth more than your LT. I do understand, everyone I know has to make priorities for the disbursement of available funds. I spend on some things other folks would consider frivolous, and save on other things folks would consider essential. You afford what you want to afford. Good luck with your skidding. And good luck with your LT on ice. I took this picture of us mowing the rushes that grew through the ice on our pond.Mow pond.jpg

Of course with a three-wheeler pulling cart, and a hemi sitting there on the ice too, we had some serious confidence the ice would not break through for the tractor.

Good luck, safely enjoy your time in the woods, and outdoors, I believe that is the absolute key to all this!

Well said Jere...I have a friend who say's 50 chainsaws is overkill, I had to ask him how many of his 30 guns he can shoot at once. Each of us have our own desires of what we believe is "needed" vs "wanted".

Well said Jere...I have a friend who say's 50 chainsaws is overkill, I had to ask him how many of his 30 guns he can shoot at once. Each of us have our own desires of what we believe is "needed" vs "wanted".
I'm picturing Burt from Tremors...lol

Back