Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bing cherry sells for about $6 per bd ft at the sawmills here. They usually import it form upstate New York. Lots of WW's like it because it darkens with age and has a closed grain. Yellow birch rivals it, but it will not darken with age. I've made several tool boxes with bing cherry. They all turned out well. Here's one of them:
View attachment 619518
I use it today. Here's a slightly larger one:
View attachment 619519
These both have tool trays inside that lift out:
View attachment 619520 Thanks for looking.
I've never heard of Bing cherry and I live in central ny. How can I tell it from plain black cherry?

We only have pin cherry trees. They max out at about 5" diameter and are very susceptible to breakage during wet snow storms. Are they a separate subspecies from bing cherry?
I believe they are separate. I notice that several species of hardwood trees just don't get as big in Minnesota as they do further south, largely because of the shorter growing season I suppose. Soil conditions may also have something to do with it. Regardless, there is a bunch of wood being harvested in the land of a thousand lakes.

I believe they are separate. I notice that several species of hardwood trees just don't get as big in Minnesota as they do further south, largely because of the shorter growing season I suppose. Soil conditions may also have something to do with it. Regardless, there is a bunch of wood being harvested in the land of a thousand lakes.
We can put up popple pulp like crazy but yes many of the species do not get as big. Red oak tops out around 20" up by me although it gets big in the southern part of the state. Bur oak doesn't get past 12" either.

I have some real nice cherry trees in a wood lot I cut at. Last year I got to take a few cords of ash and maple from there. They are the only cherry trees I have seen around. I got the clearance to cut them this winter as they sold the land to a developer. He's a slash and burn guy so I'm gonna try and get as much as I can from there but for sure those cherry trees are going to an old guy in town who does milling. He'll find a use for them.

There was a cherry tree on land the Red Wing Airport owns near me that was between 2-3' dia. You could go to the Red Wing public works and get a free (back then) cutting permit to cut on that land, but then the FAA came in and told them to clear cut everything. When the tree service was there clearing the land I stopped and talked to them, they had already cut that cherry tree down and said they were going to mill up the logs out of it, and they were solid all the way through.

There was a cherry tree on land the Red Wing Airport owns near me that was between 2-3' dia. You could go to the Red Wing public works and get a free (back then) cutting permit to cut on that land, but then the FAA came in and told them to clear cut everything. When the tree service was there clearing the land I stopped and talked to them, they had already cut that cherry tree down and said they were going to mill up the logs out of it, and they were solid all the way through.
Mill up the logs? Well they might have "milled" it for a hardwood saw mill to sell for for making furniture. Sawmills around here accept rough cut 8/4 from tree service companies that the mill can then process further for sale to wood smiths. Anyway, I hope that was the idea. Somehow I hope that most cherry does not wind up in bon fires.

Big difference in my southeast MN vs SVK’s trees in northern MN. We have big cherry trees that grow like weeds but are so much better than Siberian elm or box elder. I have the record bur oak with a 13 ft diameter trunk nearby. Up north is mostly evergreen trees that get to be of any size.

Got 1/3 cord mostly cherry put in the shed today, to be used in a year or two.
Always nice to be able to limit the number of times it must be handled.
e5a08877f634930896fcee179cdb98ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Cherry can get pretty big. I have cut and burned lots of it.
First pic is a Cherry log dropped by hydro and scrounged along a back road near me. See the red colour and scaly bark?
Second pic is some Cherry scrounged in our town after a huge wind storm.
Last pics are of some I bought in log form from a nearby landowner for $50 a cord.
I had to cut it to manageable lengths and load it at his place.
Cherry Log spring 2011 (3).JPG June 9_2011 (4).JPG P1010003.JPG Cherry round noodle 2.jpg P1010014.JPG

The best cherry I've ever laid my hands on, came out of my own woodlot. The wind blew it over and I cut it out and then milled it into the BEST cherry lumber I've ever seen!

That tree had three logs in it, and the bottom log was 20' 6" long! and here it is going on my BSM,

standard.jpg

When I opened it up, I could see right away, it was something special!

standard.jpg

making "mostly" clear 5/4 lumber,

standard.jpg

and LOT'S of it!

standard.jpg

Ya gotta love nice wide clear cherry lumber!

standard.jpg

There's NO way I'm going to waste any cherry logs by burning them!

SR

For a local restaurant, I made this roll-around caddie base for an antique bell that was salvaged from a UP railroad steam locomotive. Combination of cherry and oak worked very well. On a clear day, it can be heard all over the small town, and it can be driven with compressed air.
Bar Bell 01.JPG
It took two men to lower it in. Quite a project, we wheel it to tables and booths for birthday celebrations and clang it during football games and of course, New Years Eve.

Bing cherry sells for about $6 per bd ft at the sawmills here. They usually import it form upstate New York. Lots of WW's like it because it darkens with age and has a closed grain. Yellow birch rivals it, but it will not darken with age. I've made several tool boxes with bing cherry. They all turned out well. Here's one of them:
View attachment 619518
I use it today. Here's a slightly larger one:
View attachment 619519
These both have tool trays inside that lift out:
View attachment 619520 Thanks for looking.
Very nice!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

For a local restaurant, I made this roll-around caddie base for an antique bell that was salvaged from a UP railroad steam locomotive. Combination of cherry and oak worked very well. On a clear day, it can be heard all over the small town, and it can be driven with compressed air.
View attachment 620011
It took two men to lower it in. Quite a project, we wheel it to tables and booths for birthday celebrations and clang it during football games and of course, New Years Eve.
We have almost an identical bell at our cabin! My grandpa got very sick and was hospitalized removing the several layers of old paint to get it down pure brass.

The best cherry I've ever laid my hands on, came out of my own woodlot. The wind blew it over and I cut it out and then milled it into the BEST cherry lumber I've ever seen!

That tree had three logs in it, and the bottom log was 20' 6" long! and here it is going on my BSM,

standard.jpg

When I opened it up, I could see right away, it was something special!

standard.jpg

making "mostly" clear 5/4 lumber,

standard.jpg

and LOT'S of it!

standard.jpg

Ya gotta love nice wide clear cherry lumber!

standard.jpg

There's NO way I'm going to waste any cherry logs by burning them!

SR
That is positively huge! Largest I've cut in NY was around 20" and have seen a few from 24-30 over time.

Latest posts

Back