Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mill up the logs? Well they might have "milled" it for a hardwood saw mill to sell for for making furniture. Sawmills around here accept rough cut 8/4 from tree service companies that the mill can then process further for sale to wood smiths. Anyway, I hope that was the idea. Somehow I hope that most cherry does not wind up in bon fires.

On the door of one their trucks they advertised they have a "portable bandsaw milling service" besides tree removal and other arborist work. I'm guessing they milled it and sold the lumber themselves. One of my uncles that does a lot of woodworking bought a portable bandsaw mill and built a solar kiln a few years ago to mill his own lumber rather than have to go to someone else.

How big does cherry get?View attachment 619383I was told this was cherry but didn't think they got this big.
That's beautiful. Bark looks like cherry, but the wood looks a little lighter than most of the cherries ive cut. BTW, I had a few in my yard a bit bigger than that.

The best cherry I've ever laid my hands on, came out of my own woodlot. The wind blew it over and I cut it out and then milled it into the BEST cherry lumber I've ever seen!

That tree had three logs in it, and the bottom log was 20' 6" long! and here it is going on my BSM,
That's some beautiful lumber right there!
standard.jpg

When I opened it up, I could see right away, it was something special!

standard.jpg

making "mostly" clear 5/4 lumber,

standard.jpg

and LOT'S of it!

standard.jpg

Ya gotta love nice wide clear cherry lumber!

standard.jpg

There's NO way I'm going to waste any cherry logs by burning them!

SR

Na definitely black cherry. Have tons of it at farm. Red oak smells like fresh throw up.
Well, yes, but..... James Miller didn't describe the smell. Also, there sure is a lot of oak trees around the fallen log. Also the bark, the dead spot near the top, and the color of the heart are those of red oak.

I may be wrong, pictures are sometimes deceiving. I could tell you in a second within seeing in person.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Well, yes, but..... James Miller didn't describe the smell. Also, there sure is a lot of oak trees around the fallen log. Also the bark, the dead spot near the top, and the color of the heart are those of red oak.

I may be wrong, pictures are sometimes deceiving. I could tell you in a second within seeing in person.

Yes black oak I can't tell by picture.

Above I posted picts of loading and milling this blk. cherry log,

standard.jpg

and I mentioned that the tree it came from, had three logs in it and here's the next log that tree produced, it's 8' 6" long,

standard.jpg

So I got started by opening it up and turning it, to see what I had,

standard.jpg

and it didn't disappoint!

standard.jpg

and where there were defects, it made for some nice figure!

standard.jpg

I ended up with a pretty good tally of 5/4 lumber on this log too!

standard.jpg

So, now it's time to go get that third log I mentioned, milled too!

SR

There may be oaks standing around it but, that is cherry cut up on the ground.

standard.jpg

and I mentioned that the tree it came from, had three logs in it and here's the next log that tree produced, it's 8' 6" long,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR
At $7 per bd ft from a hardwood sawmill, try to compute what all of this cherry that you show here would command. Maybe this forum could give you an estimation.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR
I'd love to have the set-up and equipment that you have there Rob, but I'll never afford all that. I can only be happy with my little house and property. I do have a few nice millable trees on it that need to come down. Two of them are Red Oaks and one is a large White Pine. But with no friends owning mills, I may just have to use them for firewood.

There's always the option to take logs to a sawmill to a milled, that's what I did before I bought a BSM...

SR
Using a similar but simpler milling device, I worked with a friend this past October to mill up 8/4 red elm from a 24" dia. fallen tree. It still had some moisture and he's drying it. Not sure how it will turn out, but it only took him about two hours to mill 10 pieces from a 9' log. I was impressed at how well the saw worked -- in his case a Makita 6421 with a 32" bar. He has a big drum sander for final surface finishing. Red elm, of course is not in the same class as cherry, but I've seen some of his work, and it is rather impressive.

While he was milling the slabs, I collected a whole truckload of bucked firewood from the same tree, some of which I was able to burn yesterday. lt's a great life.:)

I started out with a CSM, and then many years later, bought a BSM...

Anyway you can to make lumber, is better than NO way! lol

And like you said, there's always plenty of firewood left over after making lumber too!

SR

Latest posts

Back