still ms250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe eventually, but there is a clear difference with these saws. An inboard clutch and a plastic case is a design that is very vulnerable to exactly what you see here. With an outboard clutch the heat source is farther from the plastic case - maybe you'll melt the clutch cover.

As a product designer, if your design is easily damaged by events that are very likely to happen, you've got a problem. It's only worse when your instructions lead people to do exactly that thing.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The melted case threads are common and all of them are Stihls.
Well sadly, I don’t think any companies designer can help the uninformed/ignorant....

I have a few carcasses that have been ran with the brake in....it will burn a hole in the chain oiling passage and is therefore useless...

The newby rookie dreaming about becoming an outsdoorsman should have started out getting his experience with a cheap type Crapsman saw instead of getting his wood cutting experience with a good saw. (and probably not even reading the owners manual) The Crapsman saws are designed to be trash canned if not used as OCCASIONAL USE SAWS.

Sounds like he (the Newby rookie) was out cutting by himself, he is lucky that it was the saw that got damaged and not him.
IMG_20171012_172007.jpg IMG_20170326_164102.jpgThe craftsman saws weren't always throw away saws.

I always store my saws with the chain brake engaged, if I'm correct that means the coil is in the relaxed position. I also trip it whenever I'm done cutting, or IF I set it down while it's running. I am pretty stingy on letting someone else run my own saws, but at work if I'm handing a saw to someone else why would I hand it to them without the brake on?

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The melted case threads are common and all of them are Stihls.[/QUOTE]
Just a minute Chris. There are not many Husqvarnas around here compared to Stihls but the burned/melted cases on the 350 family from loose mufflers are more seen than Stihl melts. Mike

A Newby going to cut wood for first time not familiar with outdoors or a chainsaw should have ask some old codger if he could go cut wood with the old codger for awhile.

When I was a saw grasshopper I learned more from old woods codgers daily than I would have learned in years on my own. (and leave the cell phone at home when with a old codger)

Just a minute Chris. There are not many Husqvarnas around here compared to Stihls but the burned/melted cases on the 350 family from loose mufflers are more seen than Stihl melts. Mike
Cool, a reply that's more than "But it's a Stihl!" :cheers:

You're right, there are other design/manufacturing errors resulting in melted plastic - I'm not sure what the problem with the Husky mufflers was, although it may be improper hardware allowing the bolts to come lose, or like the muffler deflector on my Poulan 2775 that fatigue failed from vibration and melted the chain break. And that part will fail on every Type 1 2775, because it's a design error - but later versions fixed it and it's not repeated on every plastic Poulan.

I was specifically talking about the cases melting from the inboard clutch getting hot, which I don't see come up here other than on these plastic Stihls. Poulan actually did that on one saw too, the newer strato PP4218 - I don't have one and don't know why they don't show up here with melted cases.

I suspect the guy who owns the saw from the OP did just what my dad did - he wanted a good saw so he spent the extra money to get a Stihl MS250. What he got was a plastic clamshell pretty much like the plastic clamshells from everyone else. There are pluses and minuses of every design, but these are all similar and made of similar materials and construction techniques. The Stihls have an obvious weakness in that the clutch, which can get very hot very fast, is up against a material that can melt very quickly. If he'd have bought a Poulan Pro 5020 he'd have saved some money and got a saw that would have been much less easily damaged by this common operator mistake.

I've had an MS250 all apart, and there isn't a damn thing about it worth a penny more than a plastic clam from anyone else.

Back