Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto-Tune / M-Tronic -- Love it, Hate it or Wait & See?

• Love Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Hate Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Wait & See

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Don't need it

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
I am a sample size of one. Short version: One pro grade mtronic top handle saw purchased brand new January 2016. It didn't work out. Sold it 6 months ago and now happily moving on to a non mtronic pro grade saw. I voted HATE it.

Auto-tune is great as long as it works the way it should. However, if something goes wrong, the saw may need repeated trips back to the dealer who might not be able to actually fix it but will for sure charge you for each attempt. I view this as unnecessary technology. With regular carbs that are easy to repair, we can tune saws to run perfectly under all conditions without risk of compromised reliability. A better challenge for technology would be to shut the engine down when sensors determine that the cylinder head temperature is getting into the danger zone.

only got one auto tune, thats on my top handle so its hard to say. Not knowing the architecture of the controls its hard for me to pass judgement on them. they obviously have no O2 feedback loop, but do they have a barometric sensor of some sort? also a temp sensor? seems to me they would need those two at the least to operate and actually adjust the mixture....so what happens when you go to far modding one and you go off of the map? at this point you cannot remap them so I am a little shy of them to tell you the truth...but the top handle seems to have no issues...one day I am at sea level the next at 4500 feet and it has not seemed to bother it at all.

I dont own any, but have used several. As said above, like any new tech, there will be bugs that need worked out. None (or almost none) of the “problems” people have had with these saws are software related as far as i know. The 562 carb issues were faulty carbs, not software. Autotune probly saved thousands of saws from melting down. I think randy had a 550 or 562 that had 2 seperate massive air leaks and the saw ran and top end was in good shape. As for mods, i know tree monkey has done extensive work on LOTS of 661s, and to my knowledge hasnt encountered any issues with fuel delivery.

I had a 550xp (bought new 3 yrs ago) that was such a pain to keep running, that I finally sold it. When I took it to the local dealer for what I though would be an easy fix, they said they'd shipped all their auto-tune saws back to the manufacturer because they didn't work here. My dealer is at 5500' elevation, and I work at 6400'--8,000'--it seems the elevation is a problem.

I expect this issue will be addressed over time.

I'd been using an old Mac 610 (McCinder block) at camp until a day of frustration last year. Traded it in on a 562xp, which was a total pleasure to run (all of 2 hrs, last day at camp). But that's at near sea level conditions.

If it wasn’t for the epa, it wouldn’t exist. The epa supports industry by creating regulations that spurn new technologies (valid or not) and complexity that further supports industry. An excuse to sell more stuff.

This kinda just pisses the guys off that have worked on their own stuff for years, and found that stuff almost perfect the way it is. Simple, cheap, effective, durable. No change required, thank-you very much. Slight refinements of old packages would be the best approach, without the stupid mistakes of “lowest bidder sourcing” and tech for tech’s sake design.

Many of us know that certain models of certain old saws have yet to be surpassed in any area whatsoever, whether in individual qualities or as a whole package.

I believe that electronic gizmos and all the associated periphery is currently the most profitable (legal) industry on earth. Bingo!

Anyway, it is interim technology that is yearning to be replaced by the much cheaper and effective efi. That will come with its own set of issues for a while, especially wrt tuning and it’s search for “perfect carburetion”, which we already have....

I voted for “don’t need it”

Dealers are voting for “love it”

Selling stuff...stuff that we don’t need.

Before to long there will be efi chainsaws everywhere. I believe stihl has or is coming out with one....

I have a 661 had real good luck out of it untill the last couple days I've used it, it's been my favorite saw up till now. It's getting hard to start even when it's warm I'm not sure how I feel about it now. Saw is 2 years old not used every day

Back