Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto-Tune / M-Tronic -- Love it, Hate it or Wait & See?

• Love Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Hate Auto-Tune / M-Tronic

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Wait & See

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Don't need it

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
[QUOTE="CR888, post: 6550817, member: 109954"My main problem with AT as it sits right now is how the OEM's use it as a tool to make money and prevent users from being able to make updates, make resets and plug their saws up to their own PC.
You can do resets on Stihl's Mtronic without plugging into a computer.

I think the OEMs are not releasing the software primarily because customers will screw it up. People will yank the cord in the middle of a firmware update, bricking the ECU. People will put a bad tune on, blow the motor then blame the manufacturer for letting them screw up. I've seen those repeatedly in the tuner car community.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have watched entirely too many folks pop engines while useing aftermarket ecu's on cars. My favorite of the aftermarkets for Japanese cars is the apexi power FC, and originally you could only have it fully tuned by shops...some folks in new zealand or australia reverse engineered the ECU and then built a interface so that anybody could fully tune it....without that and a lot of practice one could pop an engine with ease. given time I think somebody will reverse engineer the interfaces for saws as well but the computer controlled carbs will be gone in 5 or 6 years...they had the same thing on cars for about 5 or 10 years while the transition from carb to EFI took place. the last car I can remember with one of the computer controlled carbs was the base model 1300cc honda civic sold here in japan. motorbikes had them on some models until about 10 years ago as well... eventually the makers will go full EFI, and then we will have to wait while until comebody reverse engineers those..

Latest posts

Back