Noob chainsaw advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honyuk96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello, i am interested in buying a new saw. I used to build log homes and have plenty of experience using a saw but those days are long past. I'm looking for a good saw to mainly cut smallish to moderate sized firewood. I have no intentions of cutting anything over 20" round. That being said, i am looking at a Husky 450E saw. I've had three back surgeries now and am nowhere near as strong as i used to be. So i have a few questions if you pros would be kind enough to steer me in the right direction. I'm considering the "e" model because of the easy start feature w the shorted pull. Is this feature gimmicky or a good choice ? I'm also curious if i can run Stihl chains on a Husky saw ? Lastly, what would your choice be for a good all around wood cutter ? I'd like to stick w an 18" bar and i want reliable, easy user and no junk. Thanks much and sorry for the long winded post.
Matt

50-60cc saw should meet your needs. Just from reading, many find the 450E competent. Owners can chime in.
Stihl chains can run on other saws if the 3 #s match: Pitch, Gauge, Drive Links. eg. .325 .050 72DL.
Recoil assist: I personally don't like because you can't feel compression well. Others will like. If you have a properly tuned, good compression saw and pay attention to the starting behavior, shouldn't be needed.

Welcome to AS Matt.
I personally have never ran a 450e, but have ran and sold many 450's, they are a good little saw. I have one that is almost new here currently.
I like the easy start feature although the inability of guys to use them properly has caused many problems with them.
Your more than welcome to come over and try some saws out.
I have a few smaller stihls, huskys, and a makita 4300.

I am not a "pro". I do have 3 saws at the current point in time and they all get used.
Husqvarna 576(70ish cc)
Stihl 193T(topsaw)
And a dolmar PS510. (50 cc)
The dolmar is my go to saw for most of what I do. The 193 is for the times i have to climb, and the 576 is for the chainsaw mill and anything that needs a bar longer than 20 inches. I haven't any back surgeries but my back let's me know everyday that I broke it in 2001. I got my dolmar back in December and wish I had discovered them years ago.

welcome to AS Matt. lots of variables into a new saw. a good dealer or at least a good place to get parts should you need them. i see @chipper1 is near you and he has a good reputation here on AS for selling some good saws. i'm a stihl guy :eek: but nothing wrong with huskys. good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't purchased anything yet. I ran a buddies ms250 a bit and thought it was decent. My brother in law has a Stihl and it's a poor running saw. When i was building log homes we ran both Stihls and Huskies. I'm just not sure yet but thought the 450e was real nice. Chipper1, where are you in Grand Rapids ? I'd enjoy seeing what you have. I was considering buying from Bergman here in town.

Now I'm a Husqvarna and Dolmar/Makita guy, but the Echo CS-590 can be had for under $400. Great bang-for-the-buck. The Japanese saws I've run are very easy to start.

Just sayin'.....
I have 2 590, great saws, but he said he has a bad back and they are heavy. If there is a choice other than the Husky he should check the 490. Not as heavy and starts very easy. Get an 18” bar and a simple 15 minute muffler mod. Retune the carb and a great saw. Find a dealer participating in the Customer Appreciation sale and it can be had for $275.

Will the Echo490 start as easily as a saw w the decompression feature ? I'm more concerned w jerking on the cord vs the weight of the saw itself. My back needs an easy starter. Thank you everyone for helping !

Will the Echo490 start as easily as a saw w the decompression feature ? I'm more concerned w jerking on the cord vs the weight of the saw itself. My back needs an easy starter. Thank you everyone for helping !
I don’t have a bad back so my findings could be different than yours but I don’t think the saw starts any harder than my 400. Go to Home Depot and take one off the shelf and give it a yank.

I've been running a buddies Stihl ms250 a lot recently. No issues starting this saw at all. Do you know if the Echo may be on par w that type Stihl ? I'm eyeing a 490 on ebay right now and liking the price. What to do ?

The 490 is one of the easiest starting saws being made. There is nothing jerky about pulling the rope.

I've been running a buddies Stihl ms250 a lot recently. No issues starting this saw at all. Do you know if the Echo may be on par w that type Stihl ? I'm eyeing a 490 on ebay right now and liking the price. What to do ?

Hands down the 490 is by far more pleasant to start/ pull the rope that a MS250.

I think you would like a 490, good luck.

Thanks much. Well i went ahead and purchased the cs490. Now i need to find one of you guys local that is willing to help me set this thing up and get it running good. Thanks much everyone !

A dealer would've done all that....

NYH1.

Yep, sometimes you can save money online, but a GOOD Dealer is PRICELESS ;)

Sometimes you have to decide if what you are saving buying online is worth it,
I will pay a bit more to support a good dealer, it is a balancing act of how much more I am willing to pay for any item, something complex like a saw definitely more.

Sometimes, you don't have (M)any other options than online, and the market makes that choice for you.

It is really Nice having a dealer that recognizes your voice on the phone, and that you Enjoy dealing with.

I have a Timberline Chain Sharpener that I really like, Tim at Sandy Chainsaw was interested in it, so I left it at the shop for a few days, the shop owner decided not to stock them, but Tim was thinking about getting one for himself.

I just ordered

2 .404. .063. 172 DL

2. .404. .063. 128 DL

2. .325. .050 72. DL

Chains while I was there, he asked if I wanted those made up right then, or when did I want them? And then told me that they would "Treat Me Right" on the price when I pick them up ;):)

A Good Dealer is a Nice thing to have, and should be APPRECIATED :yes:

I have heard and read enough stories about less than Stellar dealers, and am Glad that is not mine, now I just wish that I could get them BACK to selling Husqvarna

Doug :cheers:

Back