Looking for a project saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There's plenty of affordable non running Husqvarna saws. I'd rather rebuild husky now.

I purchased 162se with a very slightly scored piston. Turns out the cylinder is fine not a mark. The crank is perfect. For the cost of crankcase seals/bearings, piston n rings and gaskets the long block should be a runner. Great project.

I'm partial to the Husky saws as well, but I stick to the newer single piece ignition 2 series as a preference. I can't buy everything so I pass over a lot of good candidates for rebuild simply because they don't fit my interest. Up here the 242, 254, 262, 272, 288 rarely pop up for sale, and almost never go cheap. Even 61's and 266's that seem to be quite plentiful go for what I consider top dollar. Once in a while though one will pop up for cheap and I'm on it like a chicken on a june bug lol.

My latest project/rebuild... $65 288xp. Piston is not scored but has a fair amount of skirt wear, so I will put a meteor in it. Cylinder is nice. Needed a clutch cover so got a NOS from a member here. Bought a oem top cover and starter cover since they are still available and cheap! Got some things cleaned and painted, but still some work left yet. Will put seals in while it's apart - they're cheap.
288xp Disassembled.jpg

My latest project/rebuild... $65 288xp. Piston is not scored but has a fair amount of skirt wear, so I will put a meteor in it. Cylinder is nice. Needed a clutch cover so got a NOS from a member here. Bought a oem top cover and starter cover since they are still available and cheap! Got some things cleaned and painted, but still some work left yet. Will put seals in while it's apart - they're cheap.
View attachment 670272
Looks like it’s gonna be a beaut. You have 6 262’s ? Must be nice.

For me there is no finer saw than a 262xp :numberone:

It took me a long time to find my 1st one, then the next ones seemed to pop up all over. I haven't found any for the past 6 months or so though, but I am always looking. And btw, not all of those saws are good runners, but they are all complete and I will restore them one at a time. It's a labor of love :rolleyes:

There was a fellow logger here who ran a 262 when I was running the 2100. He told me to put the boat anchor down and get a 266SE at the time. He was right the 266 cut the smaller trees. But the 2100 was needed for the bigger timber while cutting access roads. But these mid size saws can hold there own.

My buddy the dealer built a 188 for speed cutting he let me break it in while cutting firewood. There a beast. I just purchased one.

gonna be a nice 288 I ran one a bit I fixed for a friend....ii don't have a need for one really but would for sure do a project at that price....I had a 394 that I built but for occasional use I would go for the 288....I do have a 261 that I converted to a 262 with a non decomp ks cylinder and a xp piston and boy it is fun I use it 16 inch 325 in soft wood so really cranks! I hink the buy in price for older husky projects is better than other brands less rubber soft parts in the 2 series...

cheers
the can

I’m starting to like the 2 series saws. I wanted to buy that hda 87 last night but then I’d have to buy a 262 to put it on. I was glad to see it sold.

Back