Anyone else use log tongs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used them. They work good. My cutting crew uses them when picking logs off stone fences. They’re nice when the log is flat on the ground and getting a choker of any kind around the log is difficult. They are also nice when loading logs for the same reason of the choker doesn’t get wedges against the other logs in the load.

I’ve used this style also
9253eac1e096f065e80a93e8b1ac7d6f.jpg

This one is more of two pieces of flat stock with spacers in between to make up one “jaw”. They suck!! With a standard style of tongs, the points can swivel in the wood. This style doesn’t allow for.

There is a slight different in skidding tongs and lifting tongs. I use lifting tongs for loading or short picking. I prefer chokers for any kind of skidding a distance longer then 20’.

I have a pair of 12" tongs, and they work well for small-medium sized rounds. They also work good for moving longer, similar sized diameter logs around with a guy on each end with tongs. I tried using a much larger set of tongs for skidding logs, but they don't seem too work that great. They get a bite, and then pull out. Better off using a chocker for that application.

I have a pair and I use them all the time. The pieces I pick up from the ground, I don't have to bend over as far to get to them. I have a large pair I use for skidding big rounds to my splitter, as well.

I use these work great my only issue is I always forget I have it and you need 2 of them and I only have one right now.. Helps a lot when you have to carry rounds any distance

I got mine from Amazon a little cheaper.....use them a bunch and really help moving rounds out to the truck or ATV.

I have the 2 sizes of the Wetterlings log tongs and a set of the J'red(Husqvarna) tongs , worth their weight , I use them all the time .
I had bought a set of the large ones from Princess Auto , tried them for a day and returned them for a refund , I found them flimsy and sloppy .

I have the 2 sizes of the Wetterlings log tongs and a set of the J'red(Husqvarna) tongs , worth their weight , I use them all the time .
I had bought a set of the large ones from Princess Auto , tried them for a day and returned them for a refund , I found them flimsy and sloppy .

I have the same Wetterlings tongs, the large abd small, plus their log hook. I keep the hook snd small set on my belt for lifting long but small diameter logs/trees. Both pairs of tongs really save the back for carrying rounds.

I use these, They work great. My only issue is I always forget I have it and you need 2 of them and I only have one right now. Helps a lot when you have to carry rounds any distance.
You need two for different lengths, one for shorts and one for longs. They work for rounds about 12 dia. or less, but that's true of all tongs for most men. Once that round log reaches 100 lb or more, I roll it. Why kill yourself?

Back