Just got a new MS461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinSL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I have a buddy that logs in my area and have been looking for a new saw for a while. Well I ended up getting a MS461 and quite a bit cheaper since I had him pick it up for me I got it for $973 out the door since he buys all of his saws and other things there. Everywhere I looked I couldent get it under 1050 so looks like I saved a few dollars. Pretty exited to pick it up tommorow and put it to some wood.

Thanks guys , I’m pretty exited to break it in and then start doing some work to it. My plans are to get the Maxflow air kit , dual port muffler , high output oiler and the large double dogs. (Which I need to do the research and find the parts numbers for and the bolts.) Might have it ported as well. I was originally wanting the 461R model because it came with the oiler and dogs but they quoted me $1270 for it and I don’t really need the wrap handle so I’ll just build the saw and save a little money and have some fun in the process because I like to tinker on things.Between this new saw , my 201tcm , ms310 which I plan on selling and buying a Ms261cm I should be covered.

The 461 is a very capable saw right out of the box. If you plan to jack it up with a bunch of Arboristsite.com BS (like it isn't going to be powerful enough), why not take it back and just buy a ms661?

I understand about the tinkering, so I would recommend finding a hopeless junker and fix it.

Thanks guys , I’m pretty exited to break it in and then start doing some work to it. My plans are to get the Maxflow air kit , dual port muffler , high output oiler and the large double dogs. (Which I need to do the research and find the parts numbers for and the bolts.) Might have it ported as well. I was originally wanting the 461R model because it came with the oiler and dogs but they quoted me $1270 for it and I don’t really need the wrap handle so I’ll just build the saw and save a little money and have some fun in the process because I like to tinker on things.Between this new saw , my 201tcm , ms310 which I plan on selling and buying a Ms261cm I should be covered.

I can see your point but the 661 is over $200 more and right now I don’t have all the cash to buy the 661 or the other parts for that matter because I’m building a house. I may just run it stock before I decide it will probably do anything I want to do.

I've toyed with the idea of modifying my saws. I just couldn't figure out why I wanted to do it. So I got a project saw; a hopeless saw about to be tossed into the landfill. Believe me, it does satisfy the tinkering bug in all of us. The 461 will run a 32" B&C just fine and if you find it lacking then you probably need to sharpen the chain. I run a 24" on mine and I have yet to find a log that can't be cut quickly and easily with the 461.

It is fun to run a powerful saw, and the 461 is definitely in that category. In my experience 90% of my time is in hauling, splitting and stacking the wood. To increase the power and cutting time of the saw is attempting to save time in the least time consuming task of all. You could save the most time by wearing a sweater and long-johns during the winter and only burn during exceptionally cold days. I have neighbors that do just that. They have both told me that they can usually see their breath during January and February. The guy just doesn't like to cut wood. I suggest a pellet stove, but I guess he might be polar bear or something, cause he has yet to make a decisive move to any realistic solution in warming his home.

I've toyed with the idea of modifying my saws. I just couldn't figure out why I wanted to do it. So I got a project saw; a hopeless saw about to be tossed into the landfill. Believe me, it does satisfy the tinkering bug in all of us. The 461 will run a 32" B&C just fine and if you find it lacking then you probably need to sharpen the chain. I run a 24" on mine and I have yet to find a log that can't be cut quickly and easily with the 461.

It is fun to run a powerful saw, and the 461 is definitely in that category. In my experience 90% of my time is in hauling, splitting and stacking the wood. To increase the power and cutting time of the saw is attempting to save time in the least time consuming task of all. You could save the most time by wearing a sweater and long-johns during the winter and only burn during exceptionally cold days. I have neighbors that do just that. They have both told me that they can usually see their breath during January and February. The guy just doesn't like to cut wood. I suggest a pellet stove, but I guess he might be polar bear or something, cause he has yet to make a decisive move to any realistic solution in warming his home.
I might just pick up a project saw and try to do something with it. I’m in the market for a ~50cc saw to use cutting brush and smaller things I don’t need a big saw. May make a good winter project to work on.

I've really thought about adding a 461 to my lineup for the in between saw but wanted to wait on the 462 coming out, so I'll probably sit around and watch for awhile because it'll be a permanent purchase. The thing is though, I don't cut THAT large of firewood unless I'm stumping, so if I get a 461/462 I doubt the 661 will see much run time, and if I'm stumping a whole lot, then I'll need a larger saw than a 661. Funny how this all starts....

I might just pick up a project saw and try to do something with it. I’m in the market for a ~50cc saw to use cutting brush and smaller things I don’t need a big saw. May make a good winter project to work on.

Keep your eye out for a husky 345/350/353/346 or the jonsered equivalents. They're sometimes available cheap and a new oem 346xp top end is about $100. Great little saws for what you want.

Just the dawgs and upgraded oiler would put you past what you could've bought an R model for..

I'd mod the muffler and tune it and go cut wood.

The 461 is a lot of saw. I considered a 661 for over a year, offering cash + a pistol to many different craigslist sellers out there. I finally found someone willing to do a trade with their 880. Good Lord!!! What have I done. I got to sell it next spring/summer. There are plenty of trees around here that the ms880 would be ideal for tackling, but then what. I did a 40" last year and had to split most of it recently. The 16" bucked pieces still cannot be moved easily. 50", or 60" -- there no way I can deal with the bucked pieces. Need Tractor, a big one, but that isn't happening -- no money and no good place to park it.

I've really thought about adding a 461 to my lineup for the in between saw but wanted to wait on the 462 coming out, so I'll probably sit around and watch for awhile because it'll be a permanent purchase. The thing is though, I don't cut THAT large of firewood unless I'm stumping, so if I get a 461/462 I doubt the 661 will see much run time, and if I'm stumping a whole lot, then I'll need a larger saw than a 661. Funny how this all starts....

The 461 is a very capable saw right out of the box. If you plan to jack it up with a bunch of Arboristsite.com BS (like it isn't going to be powerful enough), why not take it back and just buy a ms661?

I understand about the tinkering, so I would recommend finding a hopeless junker and fix it.

I agree about the bolt ons, but unless I'm mistaken, you sound like someone who hasn't had the pleasure of running a ported saw.

. The 16" bucked pieces still cannot be moved easily. 50", or 60" -- there no way I can deal with the bucked pieces. Need Tractor, a big one, but that isn't happening -- no money and no good place to park it.

I rip or noodle those big rounds into chunks small enough to move and to put in a splitter. Nooding goes much faster. A good cant hook helps to get the rounds in position. If it's a species of wood that splits readily I can use a maul to split it further after ripping/noodling it in half. I had 10 cords worth of Eucalyptus rounds to deal with last year. That stuff does not split by hand so I had to rip it down to the last couple inches.

Everyone knows that more power out of the same package is an awful idea. A heavier and bigger saw is always better.

Back