Clamshell a 50 hour wonder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordgord

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently saw a post where that was said....what can you really expect from a 400 series Husky/Jred? Just curious,
I hear all these stories of ten cords a year etc..

Depends on how you treat saw. Proper tune, good fuel, repair an air leak immediately, run repair fuel delivery as needed, don't overtax saw with dull chain. Should run 100s of hours. There is no law that a clamshell can't run as long as a mag case. The biggest problem with a clamshell is newbies buy them, then run improperly and don't know signs of trouble.

Even the best magnesium case saw won't last fifty hours if you straight-gas it, run it over with your tractor or throw it around in a fit of rage like those chaps on YouTube.
Even the worst Chinese clamshell can be fixed when it starts falling to pieces if money and time are no issues.

My Stihl clamshells have all gone longer than 50 hours with minimal issues. I fully expect any clamshell from a reputable manufacturer (Husqvarna, Echo, Dolmar etc) to go just as long and with just as few issues.

If you want to better understand the lifespan of a 50 hour machine then look into handheld leaf blowers. They get the kind of run time that puts 50 hour machines into the ground. I rarely see one through my shop that hasn't lost all compression from the end of the lifespan. Chainsaws get far less time at wide open throttle which doesn't expose the low quality parts as soon. Don't let the saw overheat and the rings will last quite a while.

The thing that separates the 4 series is the availability of a cheap p/c if you do wear it out. A replacement p/c for some metal-cased saws cost more than the saw is worth. Which is disposable?

The '50 hour' EPA rating has little if anything to do with how long a saw will last. Its an EPA thing which basically means the saw MUST meet emissions compliance for a minimum period of 50hrs. Many make the mistake like the OP in believing that's how long the engine will last. Saws in the PRO category generally have an engine certified to remain compliant for a minimum of 300hrs. Generally the certified 300hr engines have a better build quality to meet that standard but not always. I have 50hr compliance units with well over 150hrs run time and have only had minor problems like replacement of clutches, fuel lines etc. Got it...

If you read my post, I asked how long to expect a 400 series saw to last. Someone else mentioned the EPA criteria.
By the way, my consumer class Jonsered cs2245 has the 300 hour compliance sticker

Back to the old adage if you up the amount of oil in the mix to 40 or better still 32/1a tune accordingly the life span not the emissions of the saw will be increased by a good amount Lubrication & tuning are the holy grail of 2 Smoke motors

If you read my post, I asked how long to expect a 400 series saw to last. Someone else mentioned the EPA criteria.
By the way, my consumer class Jonsered cs2245 has the 300 hour compliance sticker
Well Gordgord, that's got a lot to do with you & how well you maintain your saw. In the right hands you could expect many hundred hours. A twit can seize a $1000 pro saw in minutes should he not feed it what it requires. So the question is little like asking, 'how long is a piece of string'? Most saw failures are due to people, not parts.

Well Gordgord, that's got a lot to do with you & how well you maintain your saw. In the right hands you could expect many hundred hours. A twit can seize a $1000 pro saw in minutes should he not feed it what it requires. So the question is little like asking, 'how long is a piece of string'? Most saw failures are due to people, not parts.
+1, :numberone:

L
The '50 hour' EPA rating has little if anything to do with how long a saw will last. Its an EPA thing which basically means the saw MUST meet emissions compliance for a minimum period of 50hrs. Many make the mistake like the OP in believing that's how long the engine will last. Saws in the PRO category generally have an engine certified to remain compliant for a minimum of 300hrs. Generally the certified 300hr engines have a better build quality to meet that standard but not always. I have 50hr compliance units with well over 150hrs run time and have only had minor problems like replacement of clutches, fuel lines etc. Got it...
Exactly. That 50 hours has little to nothing to do with how long the saw will last.

Look at the title you chose. I used a used 460 for an hour or so and would expect 10 cords a year. I found out there is an Oregon rim drive kit for it.

Changed my sons new Husqvarna 460 over to a rim and drum on the clutch, and a skip tooth chain. It’s easier on the engine. Add a 8 pin rim.

Changed my sons new Husqvarna 460 over to a rim and drum on the clutch, and a skip tooth chain. It’s easier on the engine. Add a 8 pin rim.
What length of bar are you using with an 8 pin and chain type?

Thanks for all the responses! Lot's of knowledge (and opinion) on here....lol
Like any public forum where anyone can post pretty much anything its your job to separate the facts from opinion & down right misinformation, however in this thread I believe nobody has lied to you or offered bad advice. Thick skin & the ability to have a laugh will serve you well here. Don't take anything to serious & you'll be just fine.

I have a Stihl 056 and a 041 that has at least 1500 cord between them and they still get used. My Huskies are catching up to them too. I have been really impressed with my Husky 460's and they are really not your average pro saw. With good care they just keep going. I use 24'' semi chisel with great success. Thanks

What length of bar are you using with an 8 pin and chain type?

18” bar with chisel skip tooth chain on the 460. I gave him a husky 570 xtorqe for the 24” bar. I don’t like to run long bars on small cc power heads.

Here is proof from a Honda GX270 engine:

i-52mfK8T-L.jpg

This is one of Honda's latest "dual compliance" engines so it has one compliance period for Europe (250 hours) and another for US (1000 hours). Unless used on a pressure washer, starved for oil or run without an air filter, these Honda GX engines are likely to last one thousand hours, so this is more or less the same as saying the engine will be EPA compliant until its last breath.

Back