McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going thru my archive today looking for some 325 pitch chain and found an unused McCulloch .050 72 link semi chisel 350 pitch chain. What saws ran that pitch?

350 is actually .354 pitch .050 gauge. It is not .325 and not 3/8, you need a .354 sprocket to make it work. Many, many 10 Series saws came with the .354 pitch chain. 72 DL should be correct for a 20" bar. Most of the time the .354 was used with a hard nose bar but there were .354 nose sprockets, I have at least one new and one used one stashed away.

358 was .354 pitch in .058 gauge.

Mark

I've read about trimmer line being used as filler/weld material sorta like solder for plastics. Seems logical enough. Guess it would all depend on the compatibility of the materials..., eh? Have never had occasion to try welding plastic. Always figure it would be futile anyway. Just recently saw a vid of a guy repairing a Stihl fuel tank and you could barely even tell there was a repair done to it when he was finished. Your brake flag repair nice, too. Kinda changed my mind about the whole process.

that is 064 fullwrap paddle, unobtanium, from what i heard. not much interest in plastic weld b4 that. left it rough, just to see if it would hold up. sfsg. may "finish" it one day. it was repaired w/what looked like muffler tape when i got it.
have since tryed doin husky "plastic" since. havent figured out fill for that yet.

I have been working on a few 10-10S models lately trying to clean a few out of the attic and moving some duplicates along. The first one took a lot of parts to make it right, but it came out looking pretty good.

20180914_190753.jpg

20180914_190817.jpg

Next one went pretty much as expected...except for the weeping "fuel tank". I first went with a cork gasket and had some weeping at the seam near the air box. I changed to the rubber gasket, still weeping in the same area. I tried sanding the top edge of the crush rib to insure a good seal, even resorted to using Dirko to insure a good seal. I decided to pressure test the tank before adding fuel and discovered the leak was actually the bushing added years ago when the carburetor and fuel line were changed out.

20180915_162731.jpg

Since I am running low on good 10 Series fuel lines I decided to try the grommet and Tygon approach, I kept the conversion carburetor with the smaller nipple.

20180920_084919.jpg

20180920_084934.jpg

All done.

20180920_095808.jpg

20180920_095825.jpg

20180920_100030.jpg

Mark

I have been working on a few 10-10S models lately trying to clean a few out of the attic and moving some duplicates along. The first one took a lot of parts to make it right, but it came out looking pretty good.

Thanks for sharing the pics and the details. That SE saw looks like a pretty well-kept saw. What parts did you have to replace to fix it up? What is the ballpark these things fetch when they are 'renovated' to conditions like this?

Rob

I bought a grommet assortment from my local Harbor Freight that included several of the correct ones. I'll try to post photos and dimensions.

The 10-10S Special Edition needed a lot, cylinder, piston, rings, connecting rod, gaskets, etc., basically kept the outsides, replaced the insides. I asked $200 + shipping to recover my parts costs.

Mark

I would be interested in where to find both. Have application for both.

Brian

Well ebay probably be a good bet or any rc hobby shop there very standerd nitro engine equipment. The unscrew and have a mesh inside that can be removed. I use them on my rc jetboat to filter the cooling water for the speed controller and motor. Got out of nitro plug and go with lithium is much easyer.

Mark thats a good deal really for a more or less new one. If that saw gets looked after it could serve someone for 30 plus years and still be going happily

I bought the grummet set from Harbour Freight the last time I was there. Never thought they would be in there. I needed some grommets for a motorcycle project not long ago and I found Lowes had a good assortment of grommets. Thanks Mark.

Jethro, I know I had seen those somewhere. I used to race RC outboard boats, fly Helos and buggies but that has been many years ago. In my old RC junk I might have one if not there is 2 hobby places in JC I might have to take a bike ride over there. Good reason to get the bike out for a ride and also eat at Moto's. I wonder if the silicone fuel lines they sale would be good for chainsaw fuel. They are very flexible and would be good for inside the tank. Would move around much freer than the standard fuel lines I am using now. Thanks Jethro.

Brian

Heres the same type here i think

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Pr...300717?hash=item339d4b772d:g:-K8AAOSwK6RZKiuS
I bought the grummet set from Harbour Freight the last time I was there. Never thought they would be in there. I needed some grommets for a motorcycle project not long ago and I found Lowes had a good assortment of grommets. Thanks Mark.

Jethro, I know I had seen those somewhere. I used to race RC outboard boats, fly Helos and buggies but that has been many years ago. In my old RC junk I might have one if not there is 2 hobby places in JC I might have to take a bike ride over there. Good reason to get the bike out for a ride and also eat at Moto's. I wonder if the silicone fuel lines they sale would be good for chainsaw fuel. They are very flexible and would be good for inside the tank. Would move around much freer than the standard fuel lines I am using now. Thanks Jethro.

Brian

Thats a good thought on the fuel line never thought of that for a saw.

Back