McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the grummet set from Harbour Freight the last time I was there. Never thought they would be in there. I needed some grommets for a motorcycle project not long ago and I found Lowes had a good assortment of grommets. Thanks Mark.

Jethro, I know I had seen those somewhere. I used to race RC outboard boats, fly Helos and buggies but that has been many years ago. In my old RC junk I might have one if not there is 2 hobby places in JC I might have to take a bike ride over there. Good reason to get the bike out for a ride and also eat at Moto's. I wonder if the silicone fuel lines they sale would be good for chainsaw fuel. They are very flexible and would be good for inside the tank. Would move around much freer than the standard fuel lines I am using now. Thanks Jethro.

Brian

Some advice from a silicone tube manufacturer, Flextech, on fuel and silicone. Even with a liner the exterior is going to be immersed in fuel

CAN YOU USE SILICONE HOSES FOR FUEL OR OIL?
No, we don’t recommend it. For best results, we recommend that you stick with other materials than silicone for any applications that will allow fuel or oil to come into contact with the hose. However, we do offer special fluorocarbon and fluorosilicone liners that offer superior chemical resistance. Depending on the application that you are using the hose for, one of these products might be perfect. Our engineering department can guide you with more details and support you in designing a chemical-resistant hose that meets your specific requirements.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FUEL OR OIL COMES INTO CONTACT WITH SILICONE?
Silicone has a molecular structure that is very stable overall at a wide range of temperatures and pressures, and its generally inert structure makes it safe for a range of applications from baby food to engine coolant. However, fuel and oil are some of the only substances that tend to break down this molecular structure, making it unreliable for use in your vehicle’s fuel lines. These substances tend to act as a solvent on your silicone, essentially dissolving it gradually. You can envision the way that water would gradually eat away at a tube made of cardboard. Oil, most acids, and dilute sodium hydroxide do this to silicone.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I CAN’T USE STANDARD SILICONE?
Don’t despair! If you need a product that combines the superior heat resistance and custom fit of a silicone hose while also offering superior chemical resistance, why not try one of our special fluorocarbon and fluoro silicone liners? To be sure that this will meet your specifications, a member of our engineering team will be happy to give you more details.

Our silicone hoses are built to last and custom-suited to your specifications. We can even do special colors! However, for fuel lines, it’s not the best idea to use silicone. Place your order today and get the custom silicone tubes that you need

Very interesting and very informing. I have had trouble using silicone fuel lines as of late. Used to be 10 or so years ago we used silicone fuel lines on our race bikes without issues. Who knows it was sold to us as silicone but really could have been the flourocarbon hose and it was just advertised as silicone. I have used it for years up until the ethanol fuel came out and started eating it up. Of course it was eating up regular fuel lines also.

Brian

Very interesting and very informing. I have had trouble using silicone fuel lines as of late. Used to be 10 or so years ago we used silicone fuel lines on our race bikes without issues. Who knows it was sold to us as silicone but really could have been the flourocarbon hose and it was just advertised as silicone. I have used it for years up until the ethanol fuel came out and started eating it up. Of course it was eating up regular fuel lines also.

Brian

Why aren’t you out cutting? Lol. Just in from scouting a new location. Easy cutting but lot of tractor work to move logs. Some 800 size work for you. Enough to keep you out of trouble for several days.

Ron

Let's go because you are the one that get's me in trouble so I think we both should go. That way the streets are safe.

Brian

We need to charter a bus to go north and round up a few other MAC hooligans. The world would be a better place for a little while. Ron

Did the rod bolt come loose?

Ended up not being an issue with the crank. The piston broke and then the crank was able to blow through the bottom case.

The piston spins but is ultimately stuck and won't come out.

Anyone want to buy a parts saw?

Looks like the off brand pistons may have more issues. Ron

In lieu of chartering a bus, Brian suggested he and I sponsoring a winter GTG. We are in NE Tennessee which means we as close to Canada as we are to Memphis.

Probably hold it up on the mountain weather permitting. Area to camp and cut. Some tiny cabins within a mile or so. One indoor john and some electricity. Any interest? Any preferred time? Around here snow is usually minor and any significant snow is more likely in March or April.

Ron

Just wondering if any material/compatibility specs were included with the HF grommet assortment regarding use with petroleum products..., not to mention ethanol. Someone somewhere is obviously making the correct sized grommet. Just wonder if the material will hold up over any length of time.

Ok so rc fuel doesn't eat it like gas and yes all the rc suppliers seem to call it silicone so thanks Fossil for saving us from our fate haha. An old guy who tought me alot at work allways said an idea is an idea and most good idea's and solutions come from not so good ones:)

Not sure what makes up RC fuel these days. The last time I bought some was in the 60's when we spent lots of time burning up Cox 049's in balsa control line airplanes,

The hot fuel was called missile mist then but we couldn't afford it.

We coveted the cylinders that were on the plastic Cox planes. They had two transfers instead of one. Waaaay faster. We weren't able to buy them at the hobby shop.
I had a Wen - MAC engine as well. POS (My contribution to some kind of Mac.)

I bet there were more Cox .049s made than MAC 10-10s. Came on everything. Planes, boats, cars. My little brother had one on something (I don't recall what) but it had a neat little recoil starter. Ron

Back