McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats everyone do to seal the air cleaner up on the 10 series? Theres allways fines in the air box and my filters are good. This time I've done the mx bike trick and put a beed of grease around the edge and seems to work well. Does anyone else have the same issues or is it just old deformed air cleaners? They seem to fit nice though.

I have a 7-10 that I picked up about 2 months ago.It needed a new muffler in the worst way,so I put one on it & it sounded pretty nice,loud,but nice.I couldn't wait to put it in some wood,that chance came yesterday.As soon as it touched the wood the chain started slipping,so I figured it needed a clutch.When I took the clutch cover off I couldn't really find anything wrong with the clutch.A friend of mine told me that it might have a keyway,which would make sense if the keyway is sheared then the chain will slip.I proceeded to take the clutch nut off,or so I thought.I assumed,as did my friend,that it was a left handed nut.I put a breaker bar on it & heard the usual "ping"when it breaks loose.Come to find out the clutch broke due to being over-tightened.Does anyone know if Mac put right hand threads on some of the 7-10's & left handed threads on others?
Ed

How long is it? I run a 24 on my 800 seems perfect for a short stature firewood scrounger.

That one's 20". Not much wood around here that wouldn't handle. I have a 24" set up for multi mounts and 28 that works as well for GTG's.

I came with a 24. I've stripped the paint and am in the process of putting a new sprocket tip on it. It's an Oregon Powermatch bar. It must be an old one as the steel is very hard.

That one's 20". Not much wood around here that wouldn't handle. I have a 24" set up for multi mounts and 28 that works as well for GTG's.

I came with a 24. I've stripped the paint and am in the process of putting a new sprocket tip on it. It's an Oregon Powermatch bar. It must be an old one as the steel is very hard.

Nice I'd love to go to one of these GTG's you guys all talk about. Is modern Oregon stuff no good now? Ive got a very early replaceable tip Oregon bar and its hardly warn at all

Well the new Oregon chain i have is softish its ok but not like the stihl chain on my other saws. I was wondering about the carlton speed tips as I want to replicate a new mac 24inch bar so was going to strip one n paint it up with a stencil but sugi hara bars about the same price and are very good bars so maby not worth the gamble

Well the new Oregon chain i have is softish its ok but not like the stihl chain on my other saws. I was wondering about the carlton speed tips as I want to replicate a new mac 24inch bar so was going to strip one n paint it up with a stencil but sugi hara bars about the same price and are very good bars so maby not worth gamble

I think about anyone in NA who knew about Sugi's would go for the Sugi at the same price. If you are artistic you could paint the Windsor tip on one.:)

Newest addition to the stable. Came with a 22" bar. Seems to be low on compression. I haven't done anything to it except clean it up a little bit
20fad02d4200a2350f1b8ffbbe26ea09.jpg
0bbce1d8740d8a7ed63acb5a71645718.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Newest addition to the stable. Came with a 22" bar. Seems to be low on compression. I haven't done anything to it except clean it up a little bit
20fad02d4200a2350f1b8ffbbe26ea09.jpg
0bbce1d8740d8a7ed63acb5a71645718.jpg

Looks good. Check the compression with a gauge before you test in to it. All of my 800s are 165# and up yet turn over much easier than my 700 with 130#. The Qport really does work.

Ron

Looks good. Check the compression with a gauge before you test in to it. All of my 800s are 165# and up yet turn over much easier than my 700 with 130#. The Qport really does work.

Ron
What exactly is the Qport? I have heard it mentioned. I havent put a guage on it yet. Just know that it pulls easier than either of my 700's.

Sorry, I guess you will be opening it. Hopefully, you will find that the cylinder is usable. If not and it isn't gouged too deep, you can have it re-plated for around $200 plus shipping; or you can sell it for parts - I for one am always needing or wanting something for my 800s. I cut a fair size dead red oak with one of mine today as well as a large red oak snag. Ron

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

Back