Why did my splitter puke oil??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of a model 10.
1900B.JPG

Usually when I loan stuff out it comes back full of fuel, washed, and stuff that was "meh, I'll fix it one day" fixed.

Not too toot my own horn, but sounds like you loan stuff to me. My dad taught me that any time you use someone else's equipment, you return it in better shape than you picked it up in. Sometimes that is a simple wash, sometimes that is filling it up with good fuel. I have also repaired tires, replaced hoses, fixed shorts, replaced lights,adjusted brakes, replaced filters, and even rebuilt carbs. And I don't borrow things much, but those who took a chance with me the first time will normally let me use it again if I need. Also if I borrow something 3 times, it is time to buy my own.
It is a shame that more people weren't raised like this.

If I recall, you said it was a 16 gpm pump and a 5 gallon reservoir. That comes to around 3 times a minute that all of the fluid is going through the tank and pump. There is a lot of turbulence in that tank to quickly mix in air, water, or other contaminants. This is a far cry from heavy equipment that have 150 gallon reservoir and a 50 gpm pump. It takes them 3 minutes to move the volume of the tank, giving air time to settle out better. Also large equipment will generally have a good bit of headroom in the tank to prevent overflow. Small log splitters usually rarely have much headroom in the tank, and we tend to overfill them anyway.

Where do I find those friends.
You need to come south, at least to Kentucky, but more prevalent in Tennessee and Texas.
Not that there aren't any responsible people there, or worthless bums here, but I know at least 10 men at my church that we trust each other and work together when needed, and will lend tools without hesitation. We also know that we will all get our tools back, and if anything gets broken it will be replaced.

Hey Wirenut, did you get your problem solved ?

Triptester: I am going to do just that, and on my splitter I am going to check the inlet hose at tank and the stem packing both to start with.
Thank you for that reminder :)

You need to come south, at least to Kentucky, but more prevalent in Tennessee and Texas.
Not that there aren't any responsible people there, or worthless bums here, but I know at least 10 men at my church that we trust each other and work together when needed, and will lend tools without hesitation. We also know that we will all get our tools back, and if anything gets broken it will be replaced.

I have two close friends. One I borrow stuff from and I’m usually having to repair trailer wiring, sharpen chains, or pre maintain something. He is usually willing to lend stuff out, but has no time for Maintenance. The other friend borrows my stuff. It comes back broke and only after you ask repeatedly for it back. Don’t get me wrong. They are both great guys, but I try not to borrow my stuff out, unless I go with it.

And taking care of the stuff to use, I look at it as payment for borrowing. I won’t go as far as oil changes. But getting it to operational condition, and full of fuel and greased if needed.

The only place air will get into the system to cause foaming of the fluid is on the suction side of the pump. An air leak on the suction line often will not show a fluid leak. Check the packing nut on the tank shut-off valve stem for leakage.

wanted to let you guys know I found my aeration problem: _ _ _ a union loosened up.
I Put the pipe wrenches to it and everything moved, yep, big-air leak on intake plumbing. I didn't know it, but I had poured 2-gallons of new fluid to check the aeration, $25 / 2-gals, and it got pumped out before finding the leaking fitting. ( 3/4-inch ? corrugated fitting and union ). This splitter must have been someone's first attempt at building one, but it gets the job done.
It took me a while to figure out why the local saw and mow shops don't carry parts for the Harbor-Frieght Predator 6.5 hp engines:
They are a $99 engine, and a person cannot afford to pay 1-hour shop time for a simple diagnostic at $99. The go-kart shops in Tenn. sell Predator parts (Honda-clone) and I get them online through their website.
I think I am officially Back-in-Business. And finished with my wood splitting for the winter supply 7-chords of Pine. :)

Wirenut, thank you for allowing me to get involved in this thread, it was Most Helpful, and a big thanks to the followers input and points to check. yes.

Good to know the fix. Yeah those Predator motors are widely used in the go-kart world. My neighbor races one in the Predator Series. The motors are cheap but the go-karts are expensive.

Ok Everyone on this thread: My splitter is working properly again ! yeay - hooray

I went ahead and added two new gallons of hydraulic fluid (after having pumped several gallons out through the tank vent unknowingly). I fired up the Predator engine and split my remaining Chord of tough Pine Butts 3-days ago ! I am happy to have the pump intake hose leak tightened once again and the splitter is pushing its way through tough 38-inch butt rounds. Digger Pine yes, and free to the taking, but lots of cardio required to get it home, split and stacked for the winter. ( 7-chords ).

Greaser007 signing-out with a Smile

The short list of things NOT to Loan out:

1. Wife

1. Boat

1. Chainsaw

1. Log Splitter

Notice, None of those items ranked as #2, as to not loan out ;)

Doug
I liked your 'list' of things not to Loan-Out !
One other item: anything with a tongue (trailers).
Have you got lucky enough to Add to the "Husky Herd" ? and I did like your hopefuls. think orange :)

my faithful little yard pruner a Husky 142 ? suddenly quit the other day. I am suspecting a fuel inlet hose sucking air, I haven't checked.
The thin narrow chain when sharp cuts green wood surprisingly well. But not a work horse for firewood cutting.
You guys up there around the Willamette River have some NICE welded aluminum Jet Boats !! Jetcraft Yukon's are sweet

Len

lnkchoppers:
I do have a spin-on inline filter on the return-line.
If the filter is clogged would that be enough to cause the "aeration" without seeping out around the filter gasket ?

thanks for the suggestion too !

I will attach a photo later today too showing the setup.
I've read many articles about fuel filters in suction lines causing problems due to air-entrainment in the fuel. The suction in the filter causes the air particles in the fuel to release into the filter, then they run out of fuel. I had a filter on the supply side of the pump and when I started the engine I could hear the pump cavitate. Put the filter on the pressure side.

I liked your 'list' of things not to Loan-Out !
One other item: anything with a tongue (trailers).
Have you got lucky enough to Add to the "Husky Herd" ? and I did like your hopefuls. think orange :)

my faithful little yard pruner a Husky 142 ? suddenly quit the other day. I am suspecting a fuel inlet hose sucking air, I haven't checked.
The thin narrow chain when sharp cuts green wood surprisingly well. But not a work horse for firewood cutting.
You guys up there around the Willamette River have some NICE welded aluminum Jet Boats !! Jetcraft Yukon's are sweet

Len

If you like Willamette Valley Boats, you should also take a look at North River Boats, built in Roseburg, OR, Damn Fine boats, and you would have a hard time finding a use, that North River doesn't offer a model suited for, besides the Recreational, they have Commercial, Military, Fireboats and even landing craft.

Doug :cheers:

Back