Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also replaced the Hard Maple handle on my log splitter, which was failing, with something more substantial I made from Black Oak with the help of my draw knife. I think this one will hold up nicely!

I bolted it and glued it with PL Premium.

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20181006_171819542.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171819542.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20181006_171802229.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171802229.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 37
That handle gives you so much more leverage (and now you can use both hands) than just having the metal handle in the middle, when moving it on uneven terrain or moving it up and down the trailer ramp. It should have come with something like this. I do a lot of work by myself, so what ever makes it easier for me … the handle on the log splitter, the timber jack, etc.

I do a lot of big stuff w/o any heavy equipment, so as you get older, you get smarter! I even made an extender for the timber jack handle, but I did not use it today.

A few years ago, I had to move a 25' (2.5' diameter) Hard Maple log about 30', with just the ATV. I wrapped a heavy duty strap around the log multiple times, and pulled on it with the ATV to "unroll" it, worked great!

C785207A-4208-4706-BAB7-71FC73E0DC40.jpeg 3F052322-3C6D-4B28-B9EB-5F0004AEBE21.jpeg We had a few tornadoes come through the area a few weeks back. I feel a little guilty because I didn’t have any damage at all. I took this load of Oak as a favor to a friend of mine who lives on what used to be a very wooded lot, 90% of it was Oak. I would say a conservative estimate is he has more than 75 trees down. We cut all day and didn’t make a dent. I know it’s not a big deal to some guys, but I don’t get much Oak around here for free.

That handle gives you so much more leverage (and now you can use both hands) than just having the metal handle in the middle, when moving it on uneven terrain or moving it up and down the trailer ramp. It should have come with something like this. I do a lot of work by myself, so what ever makes it easier for me … the handle on the log splitter, the timber jack, etc.

I do a lot of big stuff w/o any heavy equipment, so as you get older, you get smarter! I even made an extender for the timber jack handle, but I did not use it today.

A few years ago, I had to move a 25' (2.5' diameter) Hard Maple log about 30', with just the ATV. I wrapped a heavy duty strap around the log multiple times, and pulled on it with the ATV to "unroll" it, worked great!
Have to agree with you on that single handle that comes on the tongue. I do most of my wood by myself too and that splitter ain’t light or easy to maneuver on uneven ground.

Used two of my recently built Asian Hybrids (440/460) to cut a bunch of the storm downed Hard Maple across the street from my Daughter. They don't burn wood, so my Daughter can take what she wants. Both saws (one w/28", one with 24") got some good break in time.

That's a good score there Mike, I take it Maple is good wood to burn (certainly looks like it would be great).

Around my part of Ontario, sugar maple is the holy grail of firewood. There are lots of different maples mostly soft maples like silver or manitoba but sugar maple sometimes called hard maple is king. It’s hard to get for free. I got a bunch of tops behind a logging crew but I had to cut for the landowner as well.

Had someone down the road having trees taken down and offered the guys a place to dump a load of logs.
e6784242f3bdc25356aa3f6845681dfd.jpg
b2fe70f7200c7ee1f2b3a09d2c4e3de7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I've learned to never say no. Last wood i got came with a half a pickup load of punky pine, so the pine went on my brushpile.
I'm out of space for wood at my place but I follow the never say no idea. Stopped to talk to some hunters this morning and got permission to cut hardwood tops on 60 acres that was harvested last year. Cant start till January do to hunting but I'm not complaining.

I'm out of space for wood at my place but I follow the never say no idea. Stopped to talk to some hunters this morning and got permission to cut hardwood tops on 60 acres that was harvested last year. Cant start till January do to hunting but I'm not complaining.
I've only cut a few tops that were logged. Great branch wood though as every one was burr oak.

Looks great, but if it cut awesome, that is all that matters. Some of my teeth look ugly, but as long as they still cut well ...
It did cut well. I ended up dropping the rakers a bit too.

This is one of those Tri-Link chains. On this 70 DL loop there was only one cutter that did not want to take the file well. On the other loop I filed after this, there were about 3 links that did not want to sharpen correctly. I'm sure a grinder will fix that though once the rest of the chain needs it LOL.

Paul Bunyan Festival was awesome. Tons of stuff to see, watch and buy. Christmas in October.
I would have spent thousands if I woulda had it. I didn't see anybody selling climbing saddles. And the main thing I wanted to buy were more husky tobogens. Didnt see one anywhere. Guess I get to go to rural king or tsc & invest in some more hats.

Another ash falls victim to EAB. The tree used to be IN the woods but the gas company came through & cleared a big hole in the woods exposing weak trees to the wind. Looks like there are several trees that will fall when the wind shifts from the north in a couple weeks. And its right across the street. I had to walk a hole in the brush with the Husqvarna 545FR clearing saw to get to the trunk/stump. Ran out of day to start a chainsaw. I'll start on limbing/bucking tomorow then drag the splitter across the street & split on-site. Then bring splits over to the stack and done. Got to use my new Technical forestry helmet I got at Bunyan. Helmet/facescreen/earcups/necksplash. Good helmet. Just hot. 88 Murkan here today. Way hotter than normal.

Attachments

• 20181007_184256.jpg
    20181007_184256.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 19
Back