Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Cowboy254
Another option for zogger wood:
IMG_20150110_182239578.jpg
But my favourite by a long margin is still:

tumblr_inline_mk9oo0n4mN1qz4rgp.jpg

I got given this from a mate, it's quite handy to cut from, I just back the ute up to it and drag the logs straight onto it and cut them, makes life a lot easier on me. I'm going to do a few mods to it to make it a little better to use but for now it will do.

DjoycfIh.jpg

How often do you de-magnetize it so that it won’t attract your chain?

What? It works just fine the way it is but could be made better with a few mods to make it that much more user friendly, I'm going to put a bit of log along the Horizontal bar and increase the height of the Y shaped holders and that should see it a lot safer to use in regards to the possibility of the chain touching metal.

All I know is it's a great back saver which works for me.

with my bad back I couldn't carry the extra weight of the magnum sticker :cry:
LOL love it. I'm actually going the other way these days and using smaller saws for the same reason, it's easier on the back and honestly they seem to handle the wood I cut just fine, haven't felt the need to drag the big ***** (394) out of hybernation much, only time it sees action is when I have real big trees to cut up (60-100cm dia) other than that the little 936 Oleomac and 029s get the gig and mainly the 936 if I can get away with it as it's nice and light and got plenty of poke to get the job done.

My parents gave me some cash for my birthday to buy myself something I wanted. The rules are that I can't use it to buy groceries or pay bills, it actually has to be a present for myself, funded by them. So what would a scrounger feel like getting, especially if he has quite a lot of wattle popsicle sticks on the property?

View attachment 678804

I hadn't seen one before and I was browsing some arborist and milling equipment stockists. It'll hold all sorts of logs from a bit over an inch to about 8 inches but I'd rather roll those. For 3 to 5 inch wood though, it is quite nifty and it'll hold all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. This was pittosporum. @Jeffkrib told me that it is rubbish in the heater and I can confirm that after burning a small dry bit. So it can go in the firepit.

I built something similar out of wood I had laying around, works rather well and saves the back big time. There are a lot of dead elm trees around here that are in that 6" and smaller category. Usually once the barks fallen off, the roots are rotted enough I can just push them over and drag them out root ball and all. Funny how when its oak, I'll leave anything over 3-4" in the woods or it'll go to the burn pile, but if it's elm I take it all. Sometimes I'll even use the sawzall but usually once it's that small I just break it by hand and it goes in the kindlin tubs.

iv done some things as a younge man I'm not proud of but dont think iv ever met a girl that could meet those standards. The fact you can compare it to these things makes me wonder about your private life.

Should I be scared to say that I think elm smells good?

The 445 is the saw to successfully perform a bore cut. I think I screwed up a little because I didnt make the facecut first(stump). I tried making the facecut second so the bore was high. But I get it now.
:numberone:
Glad you got that out of the way, now on to bigger and better things, the 395:chainsaw::happy:.
The only time I've ran a 395 was to fell a small maple I needed to make a bore cut on, the saw was ported and very strong with a very aggressive Oregon chain on a 24" bar. Lets just say things happened very quick :surprised3:, but it all worked out just fine :rock:.
Take your time and let it feed into the cut, but don't let up on it, getrdun:cheers:.

What? It works just fine the way it is but could be made better with a few mods to make it that much more user friendly, I'm going to put a bit of log along the Horizontal bar and increase the height of the Y shaped holders and that should see it a lot safer to use in regards to the possibility of the chain touching metal.

All I know is it's a great back saver which works for me.

It’s just that metal objects seem to attract running chainsaws. I know it’s not really magnetic, it just seems like it.

I also have a metal saw horse which has teeth that in theory hold the wood but don't when the log is getting short. Attempting to cut the last bit between the uprights would regularly result in one or the other bits of falling wood knocking the bar into the metal. I always found it unnerving but nothing ever happened and I never noticed any chain damage, it always seemed to glance off. Regardless, I didn't like that saw horse much.

Back