Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s just that metal objects seem to attract running chainsaws. I know it’s not really magnetic, it just seems like it.

Ah that makes more sense, yeah you have to be careful, I knicked the bullbar on the ute cutting the other week:laugh: all good though it didn't seem to affect the way the saw cut so all good.

I also have a metal saw horse which has teeth that in theory hold the wood but don't when the log is getting short. Attempting to cut the last bit between the uprights would regularly result in one or the other bits of falling wood knocking the bar into the metal. I always found it unnerving but nothing ever happened and I never noticed any chain damage, it always seemed to glance off. Regardless, I didn't like that saw horse much.

No good mate, you have to be careful no doubt about it, that's why I was thinking of doing a few mods, that should pretty much sort any potential problems out with luck. I like the saw horse but often just put up with the back pain as I don't cut much in one hit anyway, if I did I'd definitely have to use the saw horse or find some other way to deal with it I guess. I've seen a few diff attachments that attach to the tow hitch which look like great ideas and easy to make or buy at worst.

For those concerned about cutting metal just make whatever you will out of aluminum.
Often times I'm cutting around corner post, chain link fences, bricks, t posts, bird houses, dirt, in the trailer, skidding with cable/choker chains, and my favorite off the bolt on forks for the tractor. No matter the contraption when you get the wood up off the ground where you are cutting right in front of you you have better control and can most times see what you are doing better both because the light is typically better and you know what you are cutting around, unlike when you are cutting around random objects like those I mentioned above.
While I believe it's good to mention that there are inherent dangers in cutting around metal I also would say there are benefits of using whatever the contraption is or why would we be doing it. Therefor it helps to walk a mile in another shoes before being overly critical.
Carry on boys, I will too, and watch the bucket and forks closely, but for me the reward outweighs the risk.

I’m a little salty about the weather this fall.

Up until mid September we had heat/humidity/bugs/rain. Then one day it’s turned cold and continued to rain nearly every day.

The woods are a muddy mess.

Now we have snow in the forecast nearly every day.

View attachment 678915
That's a real bummer it isn't staying below freezing :D.
I'm so ready for a hard frost/some snow even though I still have a few more outdoor projects to finish and another small tree job to do (not much wood to scrounge there).
Just installed the metal on the front overhang of the woodshed after many yrs of waiting for some rusted metal to come to me as there hasn't been any around I've found. I also got the red oak another member and I milled on his bandsaw mill installed on the west side. I have the boards for the east side but I will wait to install them until I get a pole building built as it's nice to have it open for my mower. I have some newer metal to install on the back side as you can't see it much so it doesn't change the look I was wanting.
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.28.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 8.39.53 PM.png

Up until mid September we had heat/humidity/bugs/rain. Then one day it’s turned cold and continued to rain nearly every day.

View attachment 678915
Thats what we have had also. Low friday night of 37.

This is what I cobbled up to keep my chain out of the dirt.
2c1b6e2f9d5cd413a88848262e3442c1.jpg

The spacing is 18”.

If the wood is small enough for me to lift an entire 8ft section up into a sawhorse it gets thrown back into the woods. :D

:surprised3:

Pretty much the same here, not quite as cold yet but lows of 33 and 32 this weekend. I no more than started a chainsaw on Sunday and wasn't long until the rain started. I don't think we've got nearly as much as they said was possible so that's nice, still standing water is getting old. Just needs to freeze already but I see a couple sunny, 60 degree days ahead in the forecast, doubtful but the farmers need some sun and as much temp as possible.

Back