Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 667288 Since we’ve had fire bans most of the season I haven’t sold any campfire wood yet. I hate to leave wood rot so I often have pine, willow and poplar. Some I mix in with my heating wood but the rest usually get used by me or sold. Today I stacked this 4x6 skid with mostly willow and some poplar and pine. It was just piled on the ground by the splitter and a lot is mostly dry now. I may try to burn it in October/November if I don’t get any takers.

Your wood must be soft Jeff, we can have wood that's been down for 50-100yrs and still as solid and heavy as all get out, bloody real hard to split too but punches out heat like nothing else and good for 10 or more hours a piece depending on size. Had some pieces that went for 16hrs not long ago which isn't bad considering how my stove isnt set up correctly with just half a flue at the moment.

BUNYAN DAY!!!!
That sounds fun, never been, randy's gtg is this weekend also.
We have a bonfire party we do every yr that is tomorrow, it might just be a fire in the wood stove because it's supposed to rain most of the day :(.
I was looking forward to a big fire :blob2:.
I was thinking about you last night when I got to "boring" a couple red oak that died next to my wood shed :), my at the house scrounge.
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.44.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.45.43 PM.png

View attachment 678346 Went by the supermarket in Ireland and they had bags of coal, bags of wood chunks and these peat bricks for fireplace burning. A little different than what we are lucky to have in North America.
don't knock those peat briquettes till you try them, better than any coal

There has been or still is a peat bog fire near my area. Over the course of many years it has erupted on the surface every so often. I do not know if they ever got it completely put out.
Theres an underground coal fire in PA that's been burning since 1962. They dont bother trying to put it out.

Theres an underground coal fire in PA that's been burning since 1962. They dont bother trying to put it out.
I think our "strongman" mine is still burning. Must be 20 years by now. Meanwhile, we restrict the ability of people to heat their homes with fire under the guise of emissions control.

G'day fellas,

I've been in remission for a while, but I'm pretty sure it has come back. OSD has got me again. I suppose when you've had it once, you just never quite get rid of it. I don't need this wood but went and got it anyway. Toys loaded up in the back of the suby. The workhorse and monkey saw are there for show, it's all Limby action today.

6th Oct 7.jpg

I went back to my red/yellow/grey box area to finish off the red box log that I had already taken 2.5 loads from.

6th Oct 8.jpg

Having picked the eyes out of it up until now, I was taking out the leftovers with three 2-4 rounds worth sections of log left.

6th Oct 9.jpg

6th Oct 5.jpg

6th Oct 4.jpg

6th Oct 3.jpg

There was termite crud in the centre and I picked around that but there's plenty of good wood and the termity centre made it easier to split.

6th Oct 2.jpg

Great day for a scrounge.

6th Oct 1.jpg

:)

G'day fellas,

I've been in remission for a while, but I'm pretty sure it has come back. OSD has got me again. I suppose when you've had it once, you just never quite get rid of it. I don't need this wood but went and got it anyway. Toys loaded up in the back of the suby. The workhorse and monkey saw are there for show, it's all Limby action today.

View attachment 678435

I went back to my red/yellow/grey box area to finish off the red box log that I had already taken 2.5 loads from.

View attachment 678433

Having picked the eyes out of it up until now, I was taking out the leftovers with three 2-4 rounds worth sections of log left.

View attachment 678434

View attachment 678436

View attachment 678437

View attachment 678438

There was termite crud in the centre and I picked around that but there's plenty of good wood and the termity centre made it easier to split.

View attachment 678439

Great day for a scrounge.

View attachment 678440

:)
Nice load.
Can you get away with throwing that right in the stove, it looks like it's ready to burn.
The two red oak I cut last night I bucked into 20" for a guy who will be doing some work on my truck, the smaller stuff 7-8" I cut at 16 and split a few pieces. I hauled the smaller stuff into the house this morning and burned a little as the temp inside dropped a bit, but I didn't want to over heat the house as it's supposed to warm up tomorrow.

Nice load.
Can you get away with throwing that right in the stove, it looks like it's ready to burn.

Well you could burn the outer half inch no worries. Deeper in than that and it's a bit moist. Should be good to go after a couple of summers. The first one will be out in the open and in the shed for the second one.

While I was out there today I had another look at the other tree I've been coveting. The high branch is stuck in a fork.

6th Oct 6.jpg

And here's the lower one with Limby for size reference. If we're unable to get the top one down we should be able to pull the lower one out from underneath it at least. There's be an easy cord in that plus the branch material out of picture to the left.

6th Oct 10.jpg

Back