Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would split most of that stuff 2 more times.

Yes, I realise my wood is a fair bit bigger than that of most blokes :surprised3: :buttkick:.

We put a bigger heater in our 'new' house compared to the one in the old house and the size of the wood I use grew proportionally. Bigger wood (less surface area for the same volume) means slower burn and heat production but it's not hard to get the baffle plate in the heater glowing with the big wood and the flue doesn't clog with creosote and doesn't smoke except at start-up. So I figure that the bigger wood is fine in my particular circumstances and if I split it smaller then that's many more pieces I need to pick up and stack (that's prolly the main factor). Most of the wood in the shed would have been split to half the size back at the old place.

When I was researching heaters for our new place I read some stuff that said 10-15cm (4-6 inch) wide firewood was the most efficient for heating but who really knows?

Yes, I realise my wood is a fair bit bigger than that of most blokes :surprised3: :buttkick:.

We put a bigger heater in our 'new' house compared to the one in the old house and the size of the wood I use grew proportionally. Bigger wood (less surface area for the same volume) means slower burn and heat production but it's not hard to get the baffle plate in the heater glowing with the big wood and the flue doesn't clog with creosote and doesn't smoke except at start-up. So I figure that the bigger wood is fine in my particular circumstances and if I split it smaller then that's many more pieces I need to pick up and stack (that's prolly the main factor). Most of the wood in the shed would have been split to half the size back at the old place.

When I was researching heaters for our new place I read some stuff that said 10-15cm (4-6 inch) wide firewood was the most efficient for heating but who really knows?

For some damn reason I've been splitting pieces smaller lately, I need to stop that. I tell myself they'll dry faster, but when I'm 5-6 years ahead already, I think I've got drying time available.

Like you, I've found that much larger splits work very well in my EPA stove. I can open up the air more on it, and that allows a cleaner burn with less heat output. Ideally if I cant handle the piece of wood with one hand, then I usually deem it too large and at that rate, would likely only fit four pieces or so in the stove. Ah, I'll figure it out some day.

Most of my wood is split so that I can only just fit 2 massive logs side by side. With that I get 10 - 12hrs burn time, generally don’t keep it burning all day so need some small stuff too to get it going ideally have a bed of hot coals when I put the big ones on at 11pm when I go to bed.

Walmart. Canal Winchester, Ohio. Isocore on sale for $35!!!!

X27/super split/splitting axe on sale for $30!!!!!

I heard on the radio that Walmart was doing an "Ohio sale" and the walmarts here have big signs on the outside of the buulding that say something like "big changes comming"

Attachments

• 20181003_170206.jpg
    20181003_170206.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
Scrounged up half a Tucson full of zogger wood in 3-4 foot lengths. The power line tree trimmers went through the area around work earlier this summer and left quite a few pieces over 3" dia. Mostly Locust with a piece or 2 of Mulberry. The Poulan 2000 made quick work of it once I got it tuned.

Here you go.
The larger stuff is what I scrounged up at the gun club this past weekend. The small stuff is yesterday evening's scrounge.
20181004_072802.jpg
20181004_072817.jpg

Walmart. Canal Winchester, Ohio. Isocore on sale for $35!!!!

X27/super split/splitting axe on sale for $30!!!!!

I heard on the radio that Walmart was doing an "Ohio sale" and the walmarts here have big signs on the outside of the buulding that say something like "big changes comming"

I just missed the local sale of thme for $4x.xx. Bought one yesterday at $65 or so. Buddy handed me a round of Elm that his X27 just bounced off ot to try it. One halfhearted swing, not much more than picking it up and letting it drop and the round was halved. Gonna try it out on my woodpile as soon as I am off here.

View attachment 678215 Reckon this birch is too wet to burn? Little grove by a waterfall, all the trees are mossy View attachment 678216 Pub we ate in had an actual open fireplace. Naturally we sat right next to it. Cold wind off the Atlantic made it welcome.
If you just wanted to sit by a fire and eat you could have saved money by going to Cracker Barrel.

Guy walks into an auto parts store and says to the clerk, “I want a gas cap for my Yugo.” Clerk scratches his head and says, “Sounds like a fair trade, have the keys?”
Did you know they came out with a family car, the Wego :laugh:.
If you’re really brave you substitute Stihl for Yugo.:)
Then the clerk would say,"you have problems with this flippys too":laughing:.

The rope worked very well as a piston stop. I was worried when I needed to turn to an impact driver as I thought any sponginess would absorb the impact, but it's very stiff rope. It's climbing accessory cord, very high strength static load, but no stretch like dynamic climbing rope, so no sponginess. Locked the cylinder solid. With my iffy helicoiled spark plug port I wasnt using a screw in stop, that may be how the thread got mangled initially.

The rope is all we use as a piston stop, been using it for years and never had a prob.

We are back to low 30s Celsius. May get 34C tomorrow.
Portugal hit 47C and a 37 year high. Long range forecast is above average temps for 3 more months! Wood stacks are drying.... It's the building of the stacks that is hard.

Welcome to weather in OZ mate, those temps are a daily thing here in some parts and nothing unusal about 55deg in some parts, we had nearly a week of 39deg last year where I live which was high for here (Alpine region) uncomfortable but doable compared to some places around OZ - good drinking weather I say!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back