A "what happens if" question on a Husky 350?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does removing cup material affect case volume? I guess it depends your goal for the saw. Or is there more benefit regardless of the volume change?

Fwiw, I didn't change the cup much but removed a little more material below the transfers and woods ported the intake and exhaust. It has plenty of low end grunt - 18" bar buried in red oak type grunt.
I don't completely understand case volume, but that is why I didnt grind more from the cup.

I got it mostly dialed in today, made some cuts running very rich. Compression is at 180 with just a half dozen cuts on it. The only machining is .010" off of the bearing cup. Squish was .031-.033 before. I didn't re-check after. I thought I filed the key but the flywheel was tight when I mounted it so there's more to gain. Throttle response is very good, like a ported saw, and the power delivery is similar to my Dolmar 510xs, with a little more. I'm going to run it as is with 16" 3/8 but I want to mount an 18" 3/8 at some point. It's been a while since I've ran a stock 350 but my dad has a 345 I got for him and it seems like they run pretty close so some side by side is in the future.

It must be a runner if you are considering an 18" 3/8 bar. Is pop's 345 next?

I wasn't trying to be critical in my earlier post. Some hog the cup out and others use jb weld or stuffers. It would be great if someone can post what either one does.

It must be a runner if you are considering an 18" 3/8 bar. Is pop's 345 next?

I wasn't trying to be critical in my earlier post. Some hog the cup out and others use jb weld or stuffers. It would be great if someone can post what either one does.
Dad wouldn't like pulling this over.

I'm not a vid guy, but I'll see what I can do. Should have something around noon. You won't be busy, will you?:D
Maybe, lol.
The guy that helped me port mine (T4driller), had one that he JB'd the riser base(to add to case volume). I ran it but without timing a back to back run on the same saw, b/c and log, you'd never know the gain/loss.
2dece97da053cda8f28d92af26980b56.jpg

Those risers are so cheap, I should get one just to try it out. I've wanted to go back in and lighten and smooth over the piston anyway.

Mike's good people. I'm not sure what the symptoms of too much volume would be but I'm pleased with the saw like it is so I don't think I'll mess anymore with the lowers or the cup. If I do anymore it will be widening the intake and exhaust and removing material below the pin on the piston.

Back