046 cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that idea throw a cheap piston in there and run it after you clean it up. people forget that there was bare aluminum cylinders at one time.

Never seen one of those. What ran aluminum cylinders?

GM tried some sort of coating on aluminum blocks in the 4-cyl motors in 1970s Vegas. That lasted ~40,000 miles before oil consumption was close to gas mileage. I had a friend that carried gallons of drain oil in his Vega, poured in ~3-4 quarts to crankcase every time he gassed up.........

GM tried some sort of coating on aluminum blocks in the 4-cyl motors in 1970s Vegas. That lasted ~40,000 miles before oil consumption was close to gas mileage. I had a friend that carried gallons of drain oil in his Vega, poured in ~3-4 quarts to crankcase every time he gassed up.........
old macs and old poulans used them for sure not sure if anyone else did.

funny my current wood splitter build has a chevy vega motor in it guess we will see how long she last.

I survived 2 Vegas while in college. They devalued FAST. I think that I paid $500 for a 73 model in 1975. Only other choice was the crash and burn Ford Pinto. Both Vegas were eventually totaled, one by me in an ice storm and the other by being rear-ended. I thne graduated to an AMC Gremlin which with some TLC lasted to college graduation.

That's a lot of oil. I had a Honda XR 250, years ago that I was having to constantly add oil to. I kept adding oil and kept riding and somehow it never fouled a spark plug. Oil would actually drip out of the muffler.

Back