Huztl 36” saw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I kinda have an itch to mill some mesquite. I have a 36” bar and a na 440. What else would I need besides this kit.

https://m.huztl.net/36-Inch-Holzffo...-Milling-From-14-to-36-Guide-Bar-p228061.html

I’m not really a wood worker but I think it would be pretty dang cool to put a floor in my firewood trailer with mesquite. Of course it’s going to have to be 8’ or so boards, hopefully I could find some 10’s.
What do I need to know, seems like it’s a pretty simple process. I have been saving big straight wood for a guy with a mill, but it’s not really worth my time for what I get for it. I find quite a few 12” trees that are straight, I’m thinking those would make the best boards since mesquite tends to get hollow on the big ones the milling guys want.

I got one of the Chinese mills 14" -36" off ebay. Seems like it will work but the cast brackets are waaaay crooked. I stuffed shims under mine to straighten out the down posts. Not bad for the money but he prepared for a little tinkering.

You'll need some type of rail to make your first cut. I've used a ladder or even a nice plank screwed onto the top of the log. I used this setup and it worked fine. If I'm going in the woods to mill, I just take a sturdy plank to screw down. You can also screw the ladder directly on the log.
4e88a07fd043a4ddbf2d700a4eeb4d5c.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Brian72 I like that setup of using the ladder on the saw stools, havent seen that before. It looks like a clean easy way of getting your first cut. It feel like Im forever mucking around with brackets and screws and levels trying to get the ladder screwed down straight

unless you plan on getting a 42" bar in the future, a 30" mill will do on your 36" Bar

36" is the length of the mill rails, not the bar size needed or the capacity of the mill

You will typically need 6" more bar than the Mill's "Listed Size"

My 36" Granberg maxes out at 33.5" between the inside clamp faces.

On my Oregon Power Match and Husqvarna "Branded" (I Believe produced by Oregon) bars 36"/.404/.063, I wouldn't clamp any closer than about 2.5" from the end of the tip, or you risk crushing the nose sprocket or bearings. you will lose another 1" in the thickness of the thrust end bar clamp, and about 1.5-2" depending on your Dawgs, unless you remove them.
36" is just the Mill's Listed size,don't confuse that with it's capacity, or the bar size needed, ask me how I KNOW ;) , Yep I was New to CSM once too, still have a bunch to learn, but try to help others, learn without learning everything the same way I did

Compare the prices of the chinese and the Granberg, if you think that you will get into CSM seriously, it is money well spent, the Granberg mills are very well designed and built, and be sure that you are getting a 778-XX Mill, not a 776-XX (The XX would be the Mills listed size in inches) The 778 series mills replaced the 776 series original Alaskan mills, they have the CNC machined End Brackets rather than the original style cast end brackets, a very desirable upgrade, at a minimal price difference. The 776 mills are no longer in production, but you may find some NOS left somewhere, so make sure you know what you are buying. A discounted 776 mill would still likely be a better buy than a Chinese mill, but the 778 is better.

If you think that CAD is Bad, CSM is Everything that CAD is, and MORE:oops:

Have Fun, and stay SAFE,
Doug :cheers:

I kinda have an itch to mill some mesquite. I have a 36” bar and a na 440. What else would I need besides this kit.

https://m.huztl.net/36-Inch-Holzffo...-Milling-From-14-to-36-Guide-Bar-p228061.html

I’m not really a wood worker but I think it would be pretty dang cool to put a floor in my firewood trailer with mesquite. Of course it’s going to have to be 8’ or so boards, hopefully I could find some 10’s.
What do I need to know, seems like it’s a pretty simple process. I have been saving big straight wood for a guy with a mill, but it’s not really worth my time for what I get for it. I find quite a few 12” trees that are straight, I’m thinking those would make the best boards since mesquite tends to get hollow on the big ones the milling guys want.
Granberg mills do pop up locally on our Craigslist.... you might watch yours locally for a bit.
CS mills are basic things but those post clamps and bar clamps need to be hella strong.
FME......I would wait for a 2nd hand CNC milled set up over a cheap new one.

Granberg mills do pop up locally on our Craigslist.... you might watch yours locally for a bit.
CS mills are basic things but those post clamps and bar clamps need to be hella strong.
FME......I would wait for a 2nd hand CNC milled set up over a cheap new one.
A neighbor actually gave me a granberg mill not long after this thread.

Latest posts

Back