End of the big saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty f

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was in my Husqvarna dealer at Christmas ordering some parts for my 395 and he tells me the last ones have come off the production line and that’s it , no more 3120 395 or 390 and that there will be no replacements saws for two years.. also stihl will be taking off the 880 this is in the U.K. but have you heard or going to have similar in the states ? And are there any rumours of replacements ?

Wey .... you can buy a 661 but that’s a pretty limited choice for a 90+ cc saw .... just surprised me that husky have left a gap.

Wey .... you can buy a 661 but that’s a pretty limited choice for a 90+ cc saw .... just surprised me that husky have left a gap.
Husqvarna has a lot of emission credits right now. The 395 is being produced Brazil, it has been for about 3 years now and will be for some time to come. 390 is most definitely still in production. The 3120's days are likely numbered. The 880 is do to be replaced, Stihl is committed to producing the largest displacement chainsaw made. Dealers generally speaking are clueless, it's rare to find one that actually knows what you're talking about.

I dunno about that... I would not be surprised to see the 3120 and 880 go, maybe a 395 since it’s been around a long time. But the 390 is still pretty close on emissions and probably sells really well.

I’m interested in seeing what 500 series big saw Husqvarna does. Methinks a 5100 would slay the market if they built it like the 572. Mind you, the 661 is a fine, fine machine but I’m still confused how & why the 394 & 395 weren’t a 3100 like its predecessor the 2100/2101/298.

Husqvarna has a lot of emission credits right now. The 395 is being produced Brazil, it has been for about 3 years now and will be for some time to come. 390 is most definitely still in production. The 3120's days are likely numbered. The 880 is do to be replaced, Stihl is committed to producing the largest displacement chainsaw made. Dealers generally speaking are clueless, it's rare to find one that actually knows what you're talking about.
I think the European emission regulations are different... those three are definitely going off for us as I’ve heard it from 4 different dealers now in the U.K...you can pick up a saw at any of them up at good price because they have to clear there stock as the emissions rules say they can’t sell them after a certain date,ridiculous over here! Debating on buying three or four considering what mint 200ts are going for these days... does that mean all 395’s are produced in Brazil?

In my opinion the saws today are making more power with less cc.Simply, say a 550 Echo today makes more power than say a Husky 55 did ten years ago. Same cc but simply better design. More and better combustion from a smaller engine.Anyway that is my opinion for what it's worth.

So I was in my Husqvarna dealer at Christmas ordering some parts for my 395 and he tells me the last ones have come off the production line and that’s it , no more 3120 395 or 390 and that there will be no replacements saws for two years.. also stihl will be taking off the 880 this is in the U.K. but have you heard or going to have similar in the states ? And are there any rumours of replacements ?

Alibaba has you covered:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...hopping&mark=shopping&locintrst=#shopping-ads

Aussies and New Zealanders need the big CC saws for their huge tough ass trees. No way they'll not produce them, too much demand in that region of the world.

Aussies and New Zealanders need the big CC saws for their huge tough ass trees. No way they'll not produce them, too much demand in that region of the world.
Not sure how they go on emissions there ?
Also dolmar/makita are taking out there 3 biggest saws off the U.K. market too.
Kind of why I’m posting on here asking if anyone knows of any future releases as it seems a completely bizarre thing to do and leaves a huge gap.

I’m still confused how & why the 394 & 395 weren’t a 3100 like its predecessor the 2100/2101/298.
It makes complete sense to me.
They are all single digit series. 2 then 3 series it's just the Cubic Centimeter count that goes to triple digits. Unless you are wondering why weren't they made as 100 cc ?IDK. I think they increased the size in both accounts. The 288 to a 394/395 and the 2101 to the 3120

It makes complete sense to me.
They are all single digit series. 2 then 3 series it's just the Cubic Centimeter count that goes to triple digits. Unless you are wondering why weren't they made as 100 cc ?IDK. I think they increased the size in both accounts. The 288 to a 394/395 and the 2101 to the 3120

The 288’s successor is the 385 which became the 390. The 394 and 395 cases are very similar to a 2100/298xp. They just made the stroke & crank shorter, which seems like a waste to me.

I’m well aware of Husqvarna’s numbering system. You got it wrong on what replaced what.

The 288’s successor is the 385 which became the 390. The 394 and 395 cases are very similar to a 2100/298xp. They just made the stroke & crank shorter, which seems like a waste to me.

I’m well aware of Husqvarna’s numbering system. You got it wrong on what replaced what.

Yes I forgot how long the 288 was actually in production. I started out in
Logging in '89 with the 2101 when moved to reforestation.I believe 362/365/371 were in by 96 anyway. I had a 371 then. They actually kept the 272 going. It may not have gone away until the 272 was on the scene. School buddy, small town friend worked for a log salvage company about 1990. They were yarding with boats
(beachcombing) and he was falling for them too. The company changed to 2101 from 288. The old fleet of 288's all got stuffed in undercuts and flatend them like pancakes. A bit of irony there as the 2101 discontinued that year and the 288 went on for 10 more years.

Since the 2 series was 298/2100/2101 which were all under 100cc then perhaps a better question would be why did they go to '2100' or here's one for ya. Why did they shorten the stroke and reduce the displacement?
I guess that's really what you are questioning in a round about way.

enjoy your day friend.

I don't know specifically about that saw (I'm not a mechanic) but as time goes on it seems the piston gets smaller dia an the stroke lengthins
in order to achieve the same displacement

Perhaps there is a production surplus worldwide.
Here in Europe there is no need for an 80cc+ saw,
and almost every Husqy dealer has several in stock...

Latest posts

Back