Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that have not had had much experience with black locust if you’re not sure by looking at the color of the wood Best dead giveaway is the the bark is super thick and the groves in the bark are very deep

Here are some good pictures. I got over 9 truck loads (8’ bed) if this stuff last fall.

Unless somebody is giving you wood that has already been cut up if you see the tree standing the branches have awful thorns all over them. The branches are very brittle along with the entire tree itself.

Fyi: don’t judge me on how straight the cuts are and how much the length of the logs very. I didn’t cut any of these all i had to do was back up load my truck and drive off[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

0eb72ceae4aebbbf43405031f53230b5.jpg

945678bbe98d451f49413f0f89acd31e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burns hot and holds coals forever. Personally I'd take it over oak.

The one bad thing about Its ability to hold coals forever is.... if it’s really cold out and you’re trying to pump a lot of heat out of your stove the coals build up pretty quick because it’s hard to wait for them to burn down.

The one bad thing about Its ability to hold coals forever is.... if it’s really cold out and you’re trying to pump a lot of heat out of your stove the coals build up pretty quick because it’s hard to wait for them to burn down.

I get that issue with any of the hardwoods. I will be specifically searching out softwoods on the next big scrounge.

Take a quick glance at this pic and say locust.:yes:View attachment 712977 Fresh split.
Locust :sweet:.
For those that have not had had much experience with black locust if you’re not sure by looking at the color of the wood Best dead giveaway is the the bark is super thick and the groves in the bark are very deep

Here are some good pictures. I got over 9 truck loads (8’ bed) if this stuff last fall.

Unless somebody is giving you wood that has already been cut up if you see the tree standing the branches have awful thorns all over them. The branches are very brittle along with the entire tree itself.

Fyi: don’t judge me on how straight the cuts are and how much the length of the logs very. I didn’t cut any of these all i had to do was back up load my truck and drive off[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

0eb72ceae4aebbbf43405031f53230b5.jpg

945678bbe98d451f49413f0f89acd31e.jpg

Thats some nice wood you have there, locust :sweet:.
Not all black locust has thorns on it, but when you get pricked by one that does you remember it. Little plantain(a weed in your yard, unless you spray) will take that sting right out of it.
Your stacks are crooked :laugh:.
I get that issue with any of the hardwoods. I will be specifically searching out softwoods on the next big scrounge.
I find this to be a problem with unseasoned wood also.
As some have said you can pull the coals to the front of the stove and let the stove run with the damper wide open and the coals will burn up and will put out good heat. If that isn't putting out enough heat just put a split on top of the coals and leave the stove run wide open with the coals raked to the front like above and they will burn up, it may take a couple cycles doing this to get them burnt down so you can fill the stove for a good overnight burn.

Iv been burning a lot of maple this year. Seems to put out good heat but doesn't coal up like the better hard woods. It's what I throw on in the mornings so the stove will be about cool enough to clean when I wake up around 1.

What kind of Maple James, there is a word of difference between Sugar and Silver!
Pretty sure we know which one :yes:.
My favorite picture of the day, taken after I cut up a downed cherry branch and a large pine branch(8"). Most likely I'll get the cherry later so I stacked it up not far from the drive.
May do more cutting tomorrow with the rain freezing now on top of what we got last night.
Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.57.51 PM.png

I got one face cord of sycamore this summer, I'll never take that again until I get a 20+ tons splitter. It was so big when I get it from the tree company it was already in quarters. That was a PITA to split.
View attachment 713276
Yep got a load of either London plane or sycamore delivered from my local tree service guy before Christmas . He sent m a txt asking if I wanted it, I looked up if it was any good on the inter webs. The search showed everything from great to horrible so figured I’d take it and make my own assessment. It is an absolute biatch to split, ended up noodling it with the 7900. Only just cut it on the weekend, waited for the temp to drop below 30deg c even then it was very hot with chaps.

Locust :sweet:.

Thats some nice wood you have there, locust :sweet:.
Not all black locust has thorns on it, but when you get pricked by one that does you remember it. Little plantain(a weed in your yard, unless you spray) will take that sting right out of it.
Your stacks are crooked :laugh:.

I find this to be a problem with unseasoned wood also.
As some have said you can pull the coals to the front of the stove and let the stove run with the damper wide open and the coals will burn up and will put out good heat. If that isn't putting out enough heat just put a split on top of the coals and leave the stove run wide open with the coals raked to the front like above and they will burn up, it may take a couple cycles doing this to get them burnt down so you can fill the stove for a good overnight burn.

Good to know.

ALL the black locust were im from has thorns. They are not that bad though.

Good to know about the plantain. I assume it works with stings as well?

Good to know.

ALL the black locust were im from has thorns. They are not that bad though.

Good to know about the plantain. I assume it works with stings as well?

nice pile of locust. :rock2: we usually only have the thorns on the smaller limb wood but not on the trunks. i split some big rounds of honey locust one time and it had big thorns inside the trunks. apparently the tree grew around them

Back