Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've split and stacked over 10 cord with my fiskars in the past 11 months. I know it’s no record by any means but that’s a lot for me.

Record or not it's no gravy train.

Every year or three I'll split a whole pile of wood and it makes me appreciate the 3 or 4 cord years that much more.

The heating season may be well passed the half way point... But the snow seasons just arriving here!

Welcome to Minnesota!

Trying to reduce my carbon footprint. Used the Honda to blow out the North driveway and yard. Yesterday was about 4" and so far at least that again. Not gonna stop snowing until midnight or so.
Welcome to Michigan lol.
Got pine.
IMG_20190207_153746825.jpg
How about a "little" red oak.
IMG_20190207_160423310.jpg
Or
IMG_20190207_144701445.jpg IMG_20190207_143323017.jpg
And now the wind is kicking after a day of rain, temps dropping and the snow is starting :crazy2:.
Crazy week so far and it ain't over yet.

Time for a cuppa tea and a lye down after a red dragon fought back. Learnings- there were many.
View attachment 713674

So, does anyone know a good cheap place for 42" bars please? I don't think the scratches on mine will buff out.

*Editing to add* I do not recommend seeing how much you can stress a big saligna before it will barber chair on its way 180° from where you wanted it to go originally. It makes horrifying noises as the stress seam works its way up the trunk.
Don’t know if this work for ya but if you or the missus is an Amazon Prime member there are 42” Oregon bars on Amazon in the $85-$95 US range with free shipping.

Starting in 4wd just means when you do get stuck you'll need a second vehicle to get you out :lol:.
Or a skidding winch :laugh:.
This was one of the last real good ones. If you go any deeper and the winch blade gets in it your in trouble. As it was I had to hook my pulley as high as I could.
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.37.10 PM.png

Since you can ask questions in this thread without having your head handed to ya I’m looking for input. My plan this year was to save up and have another 590 ported, but since I couldn’t contain myself like a little kid I have that 9010 coming from Greece next week. Going to see Nate and get a 36” bar. Now I’m thinking I should have the 9010 ported. 99% of the time it will only be used to buck the big oaks and maples that get given to me. Before you ask, most of these big (for me) trunks are 24”-48” and straight up to 45-60’. @CJ Brown also suggested have the carb souped up. Input?

Since you can ask questions in this thread without having your head handed to ya I’m looking for input. My plan this year was to save up and have another 590 ported, but since I couldn’t contain myself like a little kid I have that 9010 coming from Greece next week. Going to see Nate and get a 36” bar. Now I’m thinking I should have the 9010 ported. 99% of the time it will only be used to buck the big oaks and maples that get given to me. Before you ask, most of these big (for me) trunks are 24”-48” and straight up to 45-60’. @CJ Brown also suggested have the carb souped up. Input?
Talk to @Poleman about the carb work see what he says. @MillerModSaws seems to crank out some badass ported dolmars. If I decide to have the 7910 done that's probably were it would go.

Back